Just bought, won't work, "Assertion Error"

Mac Python I'm guessing? I've never run across an 'assertion error' before (I'm on a PC). Just from the timing of the error I'd blindly guess its a DRM registration issue. Did you remember to click on 'Activate New Products' first? Might as well start with the simplest questions first.

2 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Mac Python I'm guessing? I've never run across an 'assertion error' before (I'm on a PC). Just from the timing of the error I'd blindly guess its a DRM registration issue. Did you remember to click on 'Activate New Products' first? Might as well start with the simplest questions first.

umm. yep I just checked, I did say if I click EITHER activate or the game icon...  BOTH give the same exact error.

So this is a Mac, is that correct ? If so, what MacOS are you running ? Is CMSF1 still working on it or does it also give the 'Assertion failed' error ?

If you do a 'Command + I' ('Get Info') on the folder that has CMSF2 installed (usually within the 'Applications' folder), in the dialog box that pops up near the bottom for the 'Sharing & Permissions', does your current account that you're trying to run the game from list itself as having 'Read & Write' Privilege ?

You may want to reinstall CMSF2 and see if that makes any difference. If necessary, delete the current CMSF2 folder in the 'Applications' folder. You may even want to re-download the CMSF2 installer (I show a size of 2,376,119,992 bytes for the installer).

Also, one other thing to ask/check. Do you have any anti-virus software running that might have interfered with the installation or changed permissions? If so, try temporarily turning off the anti-virus while installing. Then it's fine to turn it right back on again.

11 hours ago, Schrullenhaft said:

So this is a Mac, is that correct ? If so, what MacOS are you running ? Is CMSF1 still working on it or does it also give the 'Assertion failed' error ?

If you do a 'Command + I' ('Get Info') on the folder that has CMSF2 installed (usually within the 'Applications' folder), in the dialog box that pops up near the bottom for the 'Sharing & Permissions', does your current account that you're trying to run the game from list itself as having 'Read & Write' Privilege ?

You may want to reinstall CMSF2 and see if that makes any difference. If necessary, delete the current CMSF2 folder in the 'Applications' folder. You may even want to re-download the CMSF2 installer (I show a size of 2,376,119,992 bytes for the installer).

No...  not sure how you got that this was a mac...  I don't touch apple with a 10 foot pole..  It is Windows 10 Home.

4 hours ago, Ultradave said:

Also, one other thing to ask/check. Do you have any anti-virus software running that might have interfered with the installation or changed permissions? If so, try temporarily turning off the anti-virus while installing. Then it's fine to turn it right back on again.

Nope, not even Windows Defender Security running.

This is a new build system, Specs:

i9-9900k

48 gb ram

RTX 2070

GTX 1080ti Poseidon

4 x 1 TB SSD (two are m.2 drives)

G-19 Keyboard

G502 mouse

x56 Rhino Hotas

ASUS Rog Strix RAID DLX 7.1 Surround sound Card

Windows 10 home

System runs all other games I frequently play (Star Citizen, X4 Foundations, ARMA 3, DCS Flight sim, Shroud of the Avatar, Battletech, Mechwarrior Online, Ultima Online and a few others)

All drivers and such are current as of yesterday.

Nice setup you have there! 

Assertion error sounds like some initialization tests not succeeding. Never seen it before with regards to CM. I'm on Windows 10 / GTX1080 / I7 7700K / 16GB / m.2 Samsung evo. Only thing I noticed about your setup that's conceptually different is the fact you have 2 video cards.

Did you try to reinstall already?

I have windows defender running without it taking any issues with CM.

Edited by Lethaface

1 hour ago, Lethaface said:

Nice setup you have there! 

Assertion error sounds like some initialization tests not succeeding. Never seen it before with regards to CM. I'm on Windows 10 / GTX1080 / I7 7700K / 16GB / m.2 Samsung evo. Only thing I noticed about your setup that's conceptually different is the fact you have 2 video cards.

Did you try to reinstall already?

I have windows defender running without it taking any issues with CM.

Yea I run the two video cards normally because I have 4 monitors setup and I keep 3 on the second card along with physics and allow the primary card to be solely for whatever game or item I am processing primary.

Right now I have pulled the 2nd video card temporarily while trying to resolve this problem...   Have reinstalled but am going to try again only this time, going to a standard HD instead of the m.2 SSD's.

2 hours ago, MalakieUSN said:

Nope, not even Windows Defender Security running.

This is a new build system, Specs:

i9-9900k

48 gb ram

RTX 2070

GTX 1080ti Poseidon

4 x 1 TB SSD (two are m.2 drives)

G-19 Keyboard

G502 mouse

x56 Rhino Hotas

ASUS Rog Strix RAID DLX 7.1 Surround sound Card

Windows 10 home

System runs all other games I frequently play (Star Citizen, X4 Foundations, ARMA 3, DCS Flight sim, Shroud of the Avatar, Battletech, Mechwarrior Online, Ultima Online and a few others)

All drivers and such are current as of yesterday.

WHOA!!!! That is one helluva rig. You must be a serious gamer.

50 minutes ago, WhiteWolf65 said:

WHOA!!!! That is one helluva rig. You must be a serious gamer.

I do game but I also do a LOT of contract NDA game testing for major game titles and companies.

That system listed above, is just one of four primary computer setups I have for testing...  I have another based on the i7-3770s and GTX 1070, another that is an ASUS gaming Laptop and another based on AMD hardware.  All setup and configured differently for this reason.

This new system is my top end of course... and what I am having the problem on...  The other systems are fine.

When you get this error do you get a pop up box with any other info in it? Or is is just a small box with Assertion Error in it?  If it's a larger box, can you post a screen pic of it? If not, then, well, never mind 🙂

Seems like these are usually caused because something is either missing or can't be found (path issue). If the error box had anything else it might be a clue to where to look.

Dave

15 minutes ago, Ultradave said:

When you get this error do you get a pop up box with any other info in it? Or is is just a small box with Assertion Error in it?  If it's a larger box, can you post a screen pic of it? If not, then, well, never mind 🙂

Seems like these are usually caused because something is either missing or can't be found (path issue). If the error box had anything else it might be a clue to where to look.

Dave

error.jpg

44 minutes ago, MalakieUSN said:

error.jpg

If I had to guess it's something in the mentioned visual studio library. You could try updating those (especially the C++ variants if you can find different ones). Or perhaps you have some visual C++ debugging software running in the background?  

5 minutes ago, Lethaface said:

If I had to guess it's something in the mentioned visual studio library. You could try updating those (especially the C++ variants if you can find different ones). Or perhaps you have some visual C++ debugging software running in the background?  

Nope.. Visual studio is not installed at all.

28 minutes ago, MalakieUSN said:

also, Windows 10 should not need libraries installed or if it does, then it is something the devs need to change or include in the installation.

Yeah I agree that any required libraries should be included. There might not be any libraries needed or they might be included, I for one didn't have any issues with it. At the same time conflicts with existing software on a machine is always a possibility.
The reason I I point to it, is that the exception / error is seemingly in a file 'C:\edisk\Source\SDK\PC\GS5_Intf.cpp. AFAIK that's not a file that comes with CMSF 2.

While googling for the file, I found this which might be of use:

Edited by Lethaface

Something appears to be interfering with the copy-protection system per the error that you're getting. What sort of utilities do you have loaded up and running in the background ? As mentioned within the thread that Lethaface linked to, it may be a sound utility that is causing a problem. For your setup it may be the Asus Strix RAID DLX's 'Sonic Radar Pro'. I don' t know if the 'Sonic Studio' could be any soft of problem too.

The copy protection system can have issues with some debuggers, virtual environments and other memory/system inspection tools that are loaded up in the background when the game is attempting to run.

4 minutes ago, Schrullenhaft said:

Something appears to be interfering with the copy-protection system per the error that you're getting. What sort of utilities do you have loaded up and running in the background ? As mentioned within the thread that Lethaface linked to, it may be a sound utility that is causing a problem. For your setup it may be the Asus Strix RAID DLX's 'Sonic Radar Pro'. I don' t know if the 'Sonic Studio' could be any soft of problem too.

The copy protection system can have issues with some debuggers, virtual environments and other memory/system inspection tools that are loaded up in the background when the game is attempting to run.

Hmm I will try that and unload all the sound stuff and see what happens.   This is a new build and clean install system so there is only hardware drivers and the basics like Chrome installed.. no anti virus or vpn's etc... no tools outside of SSD stuff...

Perhaps related to your monitor setup?  Did you reduce to 1 and test?  When I reference that cpp file/line I see this:

//Monitor
   BIND_FUNC(90, TMonitorHandle, gsCreateMonitorEx, gs5_monitor_callback cbMonitor, void * usrData, const char* monitorName)
   cbMonitor, usrData, monitorName
   BIND_END
Edited by megascream

8 minutes ago, megascream said:

Perhaps related to your monitor setup?  Did you reduce to 1 and test?  When I reference that cpp file/line I see this:

//Monitor
   BIND_FUNC(90, TMonitorHandle, gsCreateMonitorEx, gs5_monitor_callback cbMonitor, void * usrData, const char* monitorName)
   cbMonitor, usrData, monitorName
   BIND_END

yep mentioned earlier, I pulled a card too.

That is not supposed to be the case.

I never head the original and did not have to install it first. Clearly not an upgrade for me mind you. For those that did buy the upgrade you were supposed to just enter the old keys along with the new keys. Did you work with support on this? Are they aware of this resolution?