New DAR: ncc1701e vs JoMc67

MINUTE 17

@IanL yes it was exciting and now the calm after the storm... I continue some area fires on my left wing.

eP0JW.jpg

XOYdl.jpg

My plan is now the following:

1. I will advance on the left and destroy the remaining opposition in the woods,
  2. Then, I will move my guys toward the main objective in the center of the map. 

wE7VR.jpg

MINUTE 18

My halftrack continues some area fire to pin down the enemy.

P2kEQ.jpg

The 10,5cm shell of this turn is bad. Four teams impacted... Argh!!! 😡

4Aq7v.jpg

Looks like our old friend, the armored car, is back.

2qORe.jpg

Meanwhile my mortar team is starting a fire mission to add more casualties to the guys in front of me in the woods.

ogbX7.jpg

This time, my halftrack is able to spot the enemy car and starts firing. 🎅

8JpAp.jpg

I hope it will be neutralized now. 😃

xEXO4.jpg

A little zoom on my mortar team currently firing.

ZOdEr.jpg

I have a small team doing recon of the main objective. No shots at all. Where is the enemy?

yEw0V.jpg

57 minutes ago, ncc1701e said:

How do you evaluate the number of smoking rounds available in one mortar team compared to the "normal" rounds?

In the UI under ammo it will read something like 81mm HE 30,  81mm WP 8,  for on map mortars.  The WP 8 is the smoke.  I only noticed screenshots of the US 60mm mortar.  I don't think the 60mm mortar has smoke shells, IIRC. 

What unit are you attempting to use for smoke and is it on map or off map?  

Edited by MOS:96B2P

21 minutes ago, ncc1701e said:

So only two rounds of smoke per team, that is what I have observed in my first attempt... Snif. What do I do now for protecting my men?

Well, no plan survives first contact.  So now you get to demonstrate quick, flexible, instinctive thinking and issue clear, concise, timely orders while under fire.  Or since this is a game go have another beverage of your choice and think it over some more.  :D  :lol:  Either way, good luck. :)    

40 minutes ago, ncc1701e said:

So only two rounds of smoke per team, that is what I have observed in my first attempt... Snif. What do I do now for protecting my men?

Hope and pray you have spotted his men already and none are hiding elsewhere. Use the 81mm and 60mm to fire HE onto his known locations. Use those rounds to pin and suppress his men. Once the rounds start falling fast and furious, have your men move in and finish them off. Key here will be timing. You want the last rounds to fall on his head in the same turn as your men also close the final distance. Use your halftrack and any BAR teams to also provide overwatch. Should any enemies show up in new locations, hopefully their combined firepower will be enough to allow your men to safely cross the open terrain. 

2 hours ago, ncc1701e said:

MINUTE 18

P2kEQ.jpg

I see your tank still has an active Icon in this picture. What is its status? If it is still usable.... I think your protection problems won't be as bad as your fear.

1 hour ago, ncc1701e said:

Three teams makes six smoke rounds. If you can direct fire you can give them each a target smoke order and create a smoke screen that will cover 24-30m or so. Pay attention to the wind direction and order each team to fire smoke ever second action square.

Thanks guys. The problem is that I have no time left now. Any kind of fire support mission is taking me a 8 minutes delay before delivery...

And, about my tank @Heirloom_Tomato, it is dismounted. There are three out of five guys who are still alive. I am not sure I will do anything with this tank once the three guys have stopped panicking...

MINUTE 19

Looks like my problem is resolved. In fact, Joe has resolved it for me. The turn starts well. On the left, my troops starts assaulting the enemy position in front of them.

k3O5J.jpg

Vxpwd.jpg

But, I was surprised to see an assault from the Germans in the center without any kind of support.

a2eZp.jpg

My mistake, 10,5cm shells exploded few seconds later, crushing or disabling most of my men in the center. Argh!!!!!! 😞

nGajm.jpg

9JD0V.jpg

GQD1n.jpg

ePNpj.jpg

I am going back to CMSF2...

7 hours ago, ncc1701e said:

MINUTE 19

Looks like my problem is resolved. In fact, Joe has resolved it for me. The turn starts well. On the left, my troops starts assaulting the enemy position in front of them.

k3O5J.jpg

Vxpwd.jpg

But, I was surprised to see an assault from the Germans in the center without any kind of support.

a2eZp.jpg

My mistake, 10,5cm shells exploded few seconds later, crushing or disabling most of my men in the center. Argh!!!!!! 😞

nGajm.jpg

9JD0V.jpg

GQD1n.jpg

ePNpj.jpg

I am going back to CMSF2...

Evil Joe was just waiting for you to move out. Somehow I´d seen that comin... 

15 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

Evil Joe was just waiting for you to move out. Somehow I´d seen that comin..

That is probably what you are calling experience... Doing a small harass mission on a long duration and adjust mission when you are sure of the enemy location. This way you do not have to wait too much between two fire support missions... I assume this is it.

But, what else could I have done? Falling back at the edge of the map? 🤔

Edited by ncc1701e

1 hour ago, ncc1701e said:

That is probably what you are calling experience... Doing a small harass mission on a long duration and adjust mission when you are sure of the enemy location. This way you do not have to wait too much between two fire support missions... I assume this is it.

But, what else could I have done? Falling back at the edge of the map? 🤔

Yes, something like that obviously. Well... you do not have enough space to move anywhere without beeing hit and the clock is ticking. I recall playing an opponent in good old CMAK and lured him expending all his artillery on few halfsquads sneak approaching his line through a wood. He obviously thought it was my main attack and I have all my forces in that wood. It was a gigantical strike and I lost 1 - 1 1/2 squads on that, but my main attack was about to be prepared quite elsewhere and lost my poor recon boys only. Can´t recall how this game played out at last, but I had no fear for another strike falling on my main force. Hehe But you can only pull off such things on larger maps and with lots of cover & concealment.

MINUTE 20

My men are advancing and firing. I am doing an alternate of QUICK and ASSAULT moves and it seems to work quite well. Some people are firing while the others are progressing. I will continue to experiment this.

WO7yr.jpg

Looks like the Germans are playing their last gambit.

DYAkA.jpg

My two men scout team is approaching from the main objective.

qw2J8.jpg

My halftrack is on the move and I hope it will suppress lots of enemy in the coming turns...

g5n9D.jpg

k3XwZ.jpg

On the left, I am progressing... But, in the center, this is another story... By chance, the Germans are heading towards my troops that are still in a state of fighting.

3JLRr.jpg

MINUTE 21

The artillery barrage continues. On my left wing, I see some Germans coming back to counter my move. This is not the end after all...

m9dLG.jpg

As planned, my halftrack has spotted few targets. Cool. 😏

KmAxr.jpg

Q2Dlb.jpg

At least, I have one objective that is reached. It should lower the victory points of everybody.

lnwo2.jpg

On the left, this is not turning good. But, I am taking the needed orders next turn to explose those guys. 😡

EvAQX.jpg

DYAml.jpg

Small victory, the armored car will not cause any problem anymore.

WO7Dq.jpg

The overall situation at the end of this turn.

qw2ok.jpg

MINUTE 22

A very confusing turn. On my left wing, the Germans did launch a counter attack that wipe out the few men that were there.

vEqJ9.jpg

My troops are fleeing ... While the enemy continues to shoot at them ...

7JEVa.jpg

AxaNo.jpg

LZ4YA.jpg

Only two brave men of 1st squad / B team scout team is trying to save the day.

5JEW2.jpg

Alas, they are panicking. But, they are going toward the enemy !!?? Mmm, it remembers me the strange pathfinding behavior for which I have send you a test scenario @IanL

1JEQN.jpg

jaxNN.jpg

Two more casualties... Snif. Strangely enough, the Germans are also retreating.

m9Y2W.jpg

In fact, the reason is pretty simple. This halftrack was really a good acquisition. 🙂

KmPgy.jpg

The overall situation did not change. Looks like we are going to a stalemate.

Q20P4.jpg

And I am lost in translation but @JoMc67 send me this message:

"Ok, Ok, and have a confession...I'm using 120mm Mortars (not 105 Gun/How :-)"

"Oh...and, I accept your turn 5 Cease-Fire...You know, so I don't have to dish-out more enemy casualties then what's necessary (afterall, who needs anymore useless bloodshed...right ! :-)"

Is he trying to negociate?

MINUTE 23

My actions are still focused on my left wing but it also starts on my right wing as well. 

VxJO8.jpg

On the right, I have now two machine guns in position to harass a little the Germans in front of them.

a2dAy.jpg

On the left, my mortar team is doing some indirect fire where the Germans just retreats. I hope to undermine their morale.

3JDpJ.jpg

My halftrack is still firing from time to time.

nGJDQ.jpg

On my right wing, the Germans are pinned.

9JE5q.jpg

Looking at the clock, looks like I will miss some mortar fires except if there is few minutes left after scenario ends.

eP210.jpg

But, do you know what is the most strange during this turn? I have realized this after replaying the turn once more. In fact, the volume of fire from the Germans is decreasing. I am even wondering if they shoot at anything this turn. So, I have ordered few moves ahead in the center for next turn. Will see... 

Edited by ncc1701e

MINUTE 24

On my right wing, the suppression fire continues.

Q28G4.jpg

Germans are retreating...

ln2N8.jpg

In the center, I am rushing toward the central objective. The opposition is null. How is it possible?

EvnKE.jpg

On the left, I am progressing slowly because I know Germans are hiding there.

bQnV2.jpg

The shaken troops in the center are still resting. Only one team is able to progress.

WOYPN.jpg

Good progression this turn. I will secure the central objective and the left flank, next turns, before going forward...

DY3Ka.jpg

MINUTE 25

On my left wing, after few mortar shots last turn, my men are assaulting the woods.

NZq87.jpg

The objective is to clean up the left flank of my assault on the main objective.

k3GXJ.jpg

Speaking of it, my troops are approaching of the objective.

Vxq7d.jpg

My scout team is still ahead of the attack.

a2q7p.jpg

3J2Lq.jpg

And I am lucky. The little trap, setup here, has not worked since these guys are facing the wrong direction. 🤗

nGwNm.jpg

My scout team has killed one bad guy but the two others are firing back.

9JZgV.jpg

Just the time to throw a grenade before being shot...

GQqAn.jpg

Oh no! Brian has been hit! Brian has been hit!

ePkaj.jpg

MINUTE 26

Given the caliber, what an horrible death...

1Jbrg.jpg

On the left, I am assaulting again the woods and I hope to succeed now.

ja0dR.jpg

Same in the main objective, more troops are coming to secure the place.

m9y45.jpg

In the woods, on my left wing, I am now discovering the enemy...

KmY0Y.jpg

Q2Apr.jpg

Suddenly, another artillery barrage is restarting. This is like if Germans have nothing more to do to stop me!?

lnZPJ.jpg

Ev8P5.jpg

Here, I am a bit puzzled. The tank crew can now go back in their Sherman. Do you think I can move it again with three guys instead of five?

bQdaa.jpg

My plan for next turn is a bet. All in to the last objective.

g5oem.jpg