Jump to content
ncc1701e

New DAR: ncc1701e vs JoMc67

Recommended Posts

On 3/3/2019 at 6:05 PM, ncc1701e said:

Just one second before the turn ends, an infantry sound contact can be heard. The overall situation:

qwjk8.jpg

Infantry sound contacts are only when you're really close - about 50m. That one in the treeline would be just a good old standard contact. Not that it really matters - a contact is a contact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Infantry sound contacts are only when you're really close - about 50m. That one in the treeline would be just a good old standard contact. Not that it really matters - a contact is a contact.

I try to refer to all "?" contacts generically as tentative contacts.  Tentative contacts are then divided into previously spotted and pure sound contacts.  The sound contacts are further divided into the sound of movement and the sound of shooting.  At least this is my understanding.  

Your detection range for an infantry sound contact is interesting.  So, for an OpFor infantry "movement" sound contact to appear you must have a friendly unit in about 50 meters of the OpFor unit?  And this would be an OpFor infantry unit that was moving as opposed to stationary or stationary & Hiding?        

Do you have sound contact ranges for other things?  Vehicle movement?  Infantry shooting?  etc.?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Your detection range for an infantry sound contact is interesting.  So, for an OpFor infantry "movement" sound contact to appear you must have a friendly unit in about 50 meters of the OpFor unit?  And this would be an OpFor infantry unit that was moving as opposed to stationary or stationary & Hiding?        

Do you have sound contact ranges for other things?  Vehicle movement?  Infantry shooting?  etc.? 

The 50m range was just based on my personal experience - it's not tested as such.

It's for both moving and stationary infantry.  But moving infantry is nearly certain to be heard at that range, while stationary troops can stay hidden - depending on experience levels etc.

As for vehicle movement, my rule of thumb is about 300m for tanks (stationary, probably range increases when they are moving), unless they are hiding, in which case sound detection drops to about 100-150m if I remember things right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

As for vehicle movement, my rule of thumb is about 300m for tanks (stationary, probably range increases when they are moving), unless they are hiding, in which case sound detection drops to about 100-150m if I remember things right.

I remember reading on the forums that giving a vehicle a Hide command cuts the range at which the vehicle can be heard in half.  However I've not read anywhere what the full sound detection range is (and then figure out what the half is).  I suspect it may also vary by vehicle.  I'm to lazy to test all that but if you already had the data I was more than willing to get it from you.  :D  :lol:   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2019 at 8:06 PM, ncc1701e said:

30 minutes 

that actually leaves not that much time  for too much cautiousness. A single decisive action can end both your games quite quickly.

Edited by RockinHarry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2019 at 12:06 AM, RockinHarry said:

that actually leaves not that much time  for too much cautiousness. A single decisive action can end both your games quite quickly.

Agree, I will detail my plan soon for end game. As usual, I will be short on time. But, I prefer to be short on time than short on men. I am perhaps too cautious but I like my pixeltroopers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MINUTE 10

My plan will be straight forward:

  1. I have ordered a smoke screen in the center to cover the advance of my troops in the center and in the right on the main objective in the middle of the map. 8 minutes to wait.
  2. I will put whatever fire power I have on the left to destroy the enemy here. I will then move my left wing toward the middle objective.

NZxm7.jpg

Meanwhile, 10,5 cm continues to rain. Sometimes nowhere, sometimes... 😡

k3o2J.jpg

I see the German guys falling back. The suppressive fire has ceased in the left woods at last.

VxKdd.jpg

I carefully resume my progression in the left woods.

a2n4p.jpg

3J09q.jpg

The overall situation at the end of the turn.

nGQZm.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MINUTE 11

I am waiting for my smoke screen. But, on my right wing, I am taking some fire from the German in the woods in front of my right wing.

P2QpQ.jpg

The company commander is hit !!! The company commander is hit !!! The mortar fire that I have ordered is now compromised...

4A1Zv.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MINUTE 12

On the left wing, I emerge from the woods. The main objective seems calm.

P2QPQ.jpg

Still 10,5 cm around... Is counter battery fire possible to stop those guys !?

4A1Gv.jpg

My smoke screen firing mission is still been planned. 6 minutes to wait before main assault depending on its shape...

2q7Ke.jpg

On the right, strangely enough, even if the commander is hit, the fire mission seems not compromised !?

ogKN7.jpg

I would like to bring some attention to the rear. Since the beginning, 5th Squad / B Team is providing medical assistance to all the guys that were hit by the Stug III at the beginning. Thanks guys, this is important to keep the casualties low.

8JoPp.jpg

This is time to move my halftrack to wake up the Germans...

OZDpQ.jpg

Edited by ncc1701e

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MINUTE 13

A waiting and peaceful turn except few events. The 10,5cm firing rate is about one shell a turn. Question for the experts, at this rate, how long the battery could last?

1Jovg.jpg

My halftrack is moving full ahead towards its destiny...

ja52R.jpg

I open up my tank in order to spot something... a tank may be? Where is his Stug III? This is the question I have since a long time...

m9LE5.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ncc1701e said:

The company commander is hit !!! The company commander is hit !!! The mortar fire that I have ordered is now compromised...

Reminds me to purchase a FO next time as well. Not so healthy if letting do the important guys the job from the frontline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, ncc1701e said:

I would like to bring some attention to the rear. Since the beginning, 5th Squad / B Team is providing medical assistance to all the guys that were hit by the Stug III at the beginning. Thanks guys, this is important to keep the casualties low.

good luck on that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MINUTE 14

Crossing the road again to reach the house on the left of the screen. This time I am using a Fast command.

OZDG2.jpg

And, suddenly, one 10,5cm shell drops. Three casualties but the one in the red circle is a little hard to believe. I have replayed the sequence but this is indeed the shrapnel. 😕

0RoeO.jpg

xE32Q.jpg

In the wood on my left wing, my men are watching while my halftrack is arriving. Hope it will surprise a little the Germans next turn.

ZOb8q.jpg

yEn1e.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, ncc1701e said:

The 10,5cm firing rate is about one shell a turn. Question for the experts, at this rate, how long the battery could last?

I´d bet on spotting rounds falling yet. I´d also expect something more violent falling down very soon.....

If not, prepare for beeing hassled all game long. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ncc1701e said:

And, suddenly, one 10,5cm shell drops. Three casualties but the one in the red circle is a little hard to believe. I have replayed the sequence but this is indeed the shrapnel.

shrapnel range can be pretty much far reaching in the game. I´ve also seen many times my guys falling and guessed about the source. It most the time turned out it was from shrapnel and the source more or less far off. You´ll hate everything in the game that comes from above (and beyond as in this case). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, RockinHarry said:

I´d bet on spotting rounds falling yet. I´d also expect something more violent falling down very soon.....

If not, prepare for beeing hassled all game long. :P

This is strange then because the rounds are failing on my left, then on my right and coming back to left. That is why I am thinking more of a harass mission. 

Edited by ncc1701e

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ncc1701e said:

This is strange then because the rounds are failing on my left, then on my right and coming back to left. That is why I am thinking more of a harass mission. 

yep, that as well might be a large area harass mission. You´ll sure know very soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MINUTE 15

The halftrack starts an area fire on the suspected enemy position. 🤗

4AvXO.jpg

It reveals that some people are fleeing. 🎅

2qWGR.jpg

The German on my right wing are too far away to provide any kind of support.

ogAxG.jpg

The 10,5cm round of the turn... No casualty this time. I really think this is one harass mission.

8JgY7.jpg

And a little surprise, a recon armored car is showing up.

OZKN2.jpg

xE5lQ.jpg

And it looks like it is after my halftrack... 😨

ZOYVq.jpg

Strangely enough, I am observing more suppressive fire than expected and I realize my tank is also after something.

yEODe.jpg

Y0vkd.jpg

Ouch! One of my men was a little too exposed and is hit.

Jo8Wy.jpg

Ah and a smoke potting round, my assault is near.

pXQxv.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MINUTE 16

This turn was exciting. To avoid losing my halftrack, I have ordered it to advance a little while I am sending my tank into a search and destroy mission against this armored car.

lnWxE.jpg

The armored car is indeed trying to destroy some of my men near the halftrack.

EvjJj.jpg

But, the cavalry arrives...

bQRm0.jpg

And the unthinkable happens. The Stug III is spotted surely also looking after the halftrack.

WOR8e.jpg

Meanwhile, one of my squad in the woods on my right wing is firing with a bazooka against the armored car.

DYyjE.jpg

I think that is what we call a near miss. 😕

qwlL9.jpg

g5QNK.jpg

Luckily for me, my Sherman has seen the Stug III and is aiming at it.

3JXea.jpg

Too late, the Stug III is firing... 😨

nGO5J.jpg

But, a micro second later, my Sherman also fires. The two shells are under the green arrow.

9JLRY.jpg

Boom!!! Boom!!! Stalemate...

GQko7.jpg

The Stug III is out of order as well as my lonely Sherman...

ePOgW.jpg

Exciting indeed 😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ncc1701e said:

The Stug III is out of order as well as my lonely Sherman...

reminds me of that cold war phrase "who shoots first, (still) dies second" something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...