New DAR: ncc1701e vs JoMc67

Compared our first DAR, our house rules for this game have been updated to the following:

1. No Pre-Planned Arty (or Area-Fire from Ground Units) on Turn 1 of a Meeting Engagement, or from Defender. Player will need to Call-In Arty normally. Attacker in Attack/Defense Games are exempt and can use Pre-Planned Arty.

2. Players will let the Computer AI choose what Targets to shoot at (player can't choose Targets)...However, you can still use Small Arms/HE/Smoke Area-Fire anywhere on map at anytime (just don't directly Target Enemy Unit).

3. If you check LOS at a given Waypoint, then you have to keep it (can't delete or alter) until next turn...keep in mind, you also get a free LOS check at exact location beginning of turn since it's not considered a Waypoint.

4. Vehicle Smoke Dischargers (not Smoke Shells) is controlled by the Computer AI, and not by the Player.

5. Turn Off Armor Detail Hits.

6. No Unlimited Pause.

8 minutes ago, IanL said:

Why?

Just curious.

1 hour ago, ncc1701e said:

6. No Unlimited Pause.

I am also curious.

There are a lot of benefits to keeping a unit on an unlimited pause (such as a machine gun team you want to hold its position indefinitely) though I do not consider it gamey. If the unit with the unlimited pause comes under too much fire and panics (enters the state where you cannot give it orders) then the unit automatically ignores the pause command. 

Is there some other line of reasoning that goes into not allowing the permanent pause?

So back to the current game. The map contains three objectives located around three groups of houses. There are lot of woods as well.

A preview of the map can be seen in the following screenshot:

NQ7WR.jpg

We are only using the 'Suggestion' box to purchase your Formation. Initially, my idea was to have lots of infantry and artillery and perhaps few tanks. Cycling through the possible suggestions, I have finally choose the following one:

yJ7rP.jpg

I have taken "on map" mortar to allow the possibility to perform direct fires... And, my infantry is having bazooka for the cats on the other side.

Edited by ncc1701e

My plan is simple:

1. On the left side, I will try to reach the woods and obtain some intel of what is behind.
  2. On the right side, I will do the same.
  3. In the center, I will reach the first objective in front of me.

OyLbR.jpg

Once done, I will assess what's next to do.

Edited by ncc1701e

MINUTE 2

While moving, my troops, crossing the road toward the left, are immediately spotted by what seems to be a Stug III.

WOKAe.jpg

And, the Stug III is immediately shooting at my men. 😡 Lesson learned: never cross a road without Fast move or smoke...

DYWXE.jpg

This first shot is taking me three casualties... Great!

qwj39.jpg

Panic!!! What a better way to start a new game... 🤗

g5LAK.jpg

Edited by ncc1701e

MINUTE 3

I have asked my unique tank to "open up" so that they can monitor anything while my squads continue to progress of my right wing.

RgpyY.jpg

Is the Sherman a decent foe for the Stug III or is it the contrary? I think everything will come up from surprise and who shot first. I am sure Joe won't do the mistake to advance much more his Stug III. As such, I am setting up one of my mortar squad to fire on the sound contact of his Stug III. By chance, I may kill his commander if he is outside or break few optics... I will count on luck also.

vEP7o.jpg

While monitoring the turn, another sound contact can be heard. Looks like there is a second tank or halftrack out there.

7Jwgr.jpg

Edited by ncc1701e

MINUTE 4

Mortar fire is starting but the shots are too long. Crap... I am even surprised the mortar team was having an LOS there...

EvNpD.jpg

I have ordered my tank to move left in order to counter the threat of the newly discovered tank.

bQJxK.jpg

My infantry is entering the woods. I will now really see what is going on behind.

WOKXr.jpg

Just one second before the turn ends, an infantry sound contact can be heard. The overall situation:

qwjk8.jpg

Next turn will be great I think.

3 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

to be honest that map and setup does not leave many, but the most obvious options for approach, LOS/LOF and such. Good luck on that challenge! :)

:D I was thinking the same thing as I scrolled through the thread looking at the screenshots.  

3 hours ago, ncc1701e said:

Lesson learned: never cross a road without Fast move or smoke... This first shot is taking me three casualties... Great!

qwj39.jpg

If the danger area is narrow enough (typically a city street or a narrow area in bocage country) I may use both hand grenade smoke and Fast.   

If I need to cross bigger open terrain under fire I may use artillery smoke and alternating Quick commands for infantry.  Vehicles use Fast.   

It is also important to give the smoke time to form a good screen. 

In general, if I think contact will be soon I have two scout teams (in function, not necessarily the administrative split) out front doing the alternating Quick, Pause, Quick movements with an over-watch.  The remainder of the platoon can conserve their energy and use Move at a relatively safe distance behind the scouts.  When something bad happens (which is usually inevitable) it happens to hopefully just one scout team.  The other scout team and over-watch sees what happened and reports the situation (tentative contacts etc.)  The remainder of the platoon should be safe from the initial shooting and with the fitness state of at least "ready". 

With this "ready", free to maneuver, remainder of the platoon we get to answer the next question, "now what do we do Sir?"  :D  Good luck with that. :lol:        

MINUTE 5

The German infantry position is confirmed.

Q2XQ4.jpg

Meanwhile, my tank is doing a lot of noise while my infantry will spot what is really in front of us. I have a unique tank and I do not want to waste it.

ln8a8.jpg

In the woods on my right wing, I am taking some suppressive fire. Most probably this is coming from the Stug III.

Ev23E.jpg

My XO team is reaching the first house of the first objective. I will move them on the second story to try to spot something. I am blind and I do not like that. This is incredible how I miss the drones and a good old Javelin.

bQ5j2.jpg

Edited by ncc1701e

MINUTE 6

My XO team is in position trying to see something. The HQ team is behind but I am planning to move them as well for artillery indirect fire requests.

pXGbm.jpg

On my right wing, in the woods, I continue to receive some suppressive fire without any harm so far. But, my men are unable to identify who is firing.

vEZLe.jpg

On the left side, I am moving more men to increase the number of eyes and identify the tank that can be heard.

7JyNp.jpg

At last, I am moving my halftrack in preparation of my next move toward the objective in the middle of the map.

AxYwp.jpg

MINUTE 7

The halftrack is in its starting position once I could have a better intel of what is inside the second (center) objective instead of this lonely tank's sound contact. I am really hoping moving my XO team on the third story of the house, they are already in, will help to spot something.

9JNVl.jpg

Another tank's sound contact can be heard and I am a little puzzled. So far, two to three tanks, perhaps one halftrack and no sign of lots of infantry. What kind of troops am I facing? Was the Stug III moving like this without infantry support? It would be surprising.

eP7q4.jpg

The overall situation plus on the right the possible position of his second tank. One of my mortar team restarts firing at that tank's sound contact. Strangely enough, looks like the suppressive fire is decreasing. Will see next turn...

XOoPa.jpg

MINUTE 8

Surprise!!!

Some kind of Big Bertha is entering on the battle at this stage. Given the noise of the explosion, I bet for a 155mm shell. I have checked in Ian V. Hogg's book "German Artillery of World War Two" but there are many possibilities. Let's bet for a 15cm s IG 33 infantry gun most probably off map. I am ordering my halftrack and the nearby infantry to run...

k31gZ.jpg

On the left in the woods, I have made contact with enemy infantry. Small arms firing and one light wounded. Hope they can return fire next turn.

Vx4oA.jpg

The overall situation. My intel is not improving at all. On the left, I am sure of the infantry. The rest remains mainly based on sound detection.

a25pE.jpg

Edited by ncc1701e

50 minutes ago, ncc1701e said:

Some kind of Big Bertha is entering on the battle at this stage. Given the noise of the explosion, I bet for a 155mm shell. I have checked in Ian V. Hogg's book "German Artillery of World War Two" but there are many possibilities. Let's bet for a 15cm s IG 33 infantry gun most probably off map. I am ordering my halftrack and the nearby infantry to run...

You should at least be able to identify caliber by crater size I think. Dependent on sounds used (stock or mod), impact/explosion sounds can be misleading oftentimes.

MINUTE 9

Just for you @RockinHarry, a zoom of the crater size... 🙂

GQVvd.jpg

Alas, another incoming shell is this time doing much more damage. It remember me that indirect fire was one of the first cause of death during WW2.

ePwYx.jpg

XO9wq.jpg

More on the left in this woods, suppressive fire continues and still no clue of who is firing. No casualties taken.

wEdG9.jpg

I am moving my tank carefully to a location in reserve slope where I hope it will catch something.

NZdjR.jpg

The overall situation is not improving. Am I too cautious as a commander guys? 😕

k3pAy.jpg

1 hour ago, ncc1701e said:

Just for you @RockinHarry, a zoom of the crater size... 🙂

GQVvd.jpg

Hmmmmmm....... I´d assume this one to be rather a 10,5cm. But to be honest, I haven´t seen a 15cm one in long time. If you see some random friendly guy getting WIA/KIA and don´t know why, it could possibly come from a 15cm explosion far away. Shrapnel range lethality can extend surprisingly far off as I find oftenly. One my favourite WTF moments, when medium to hvy artillery is in play. :P