Just bought the Big Bundle

I got the Big Bundle last week.  This is my first purchase of a non WW2 Battlefront game.  I have to say I am impressed with this game.  It has been a lot of agonizing stressful fun.  There are a few things that add to the frustration that I think could be fixed.  I will just get that minor rant out of the way real fast.

1.  I do not like it when I give an order to enter a building with my boys just outside the door and two or three run all the way around the damn house to enter a door on the opposite side.  They usually do not make it.  I know this is minor but I try and not lose men and this makes it really hard and it is not a isolated incident it seems to happen every game no matter the different way I move into the building.

2.  Enemy RPG-snipers are crazy!  I will have a entire unit pouring fire into a AT squad at 200 meters and the little bastard will stand up and snipe my ass killing three or four men.  I even had a sniper team miss for three turns and again little Jihad John will stand and smack my sniper.  On that note do scopes do anything(not noticing it if they do).

3.  My biggest frustration would be with Grenadier or MK19 gunners.  You guys know that the gunners actually train with the weapons right?  They are so inaccurate that when I was in the Corps they would not be allowed to use them.  They seem way under powered as well you basically have to hit the person to kill them.

Okay, sorry my bull**** rant is over!

Now for the good.....The game is massive.  I have played around 10 battles now and am loving the game.  I really enjoy being able to play as all the different factions and use all the different gear that the game provides.  There is nothing like rolling up a massive tank to support your grunts and just start leveling defensive positions...and holy crap the 155's make a big ass crater.  Many years ago we hid a Humvee in a 500lb bomb crater but that's another story.

All of the different factions that you can play really add to the game.  You have so many different fighting styles and capabilities that you can create unlimited amount of challenging scenarios.

The game runs very smooth for me.  It runs better than "Red thunder" does not sure why but SF2 is very smooth even on huge scenarios.  

Well, this is my minor impressions of the game.  I hope to make some videos of the game soon.  I would highly recommend this game to any Battlefront fan or Modern conflict fans.  It is an excellent game.

Regards 

Bloody Bill

Edited by Bloody Bill

1. seems unusual, not sure if I ever had that happen to me.

I am also under the impression grenades are severely nerfed in CM. Hand grenades too. The fragmentation just isnt there!

The newer games tend to run cleaner. One CMFB mission has 4 battalions of infantry! On a huge map!

Edited by Artkin

Welcome to the more recent battlefield of CMSF2. You will soon be itching for CMBS which is even more deadlier.

1. For close management I use a few more way-points. That usually works to have them follow the path you would like. The downside of this is if enemies are about, your troops linger a little longer as they make their way.

2. I have not noticed this behaviour.

3. Yes the Grenadiers must drink a lot. 

1 hour ago, Bloody Bill said:

1.  I do not like it when I give an order to enter a building with my boys just outside the door and two or three run all the way around the damn house to enter a door on the opposite side.  They usually do not make it.  I know this is minor but I try and not lose men and this makes it really hard and it is not a isolated incident it seems to happen every game no matter the different way I move into the building.

I think this happens, or happens more often, with full squads.  I almost always split squads into fire teams and can't remember the last time I saw this behavior.  Other players, a few weeks ago IIRC, mentioned this running around to the backdoor behavior.  So you are not alone.  My work around is split squads into fire teams.     

1 hour ago, Bloody Bill said:

2.  Enemy RPG-snipers are crazy!  I will have a entire unit pouring fire into a AT squad at 200 meters and the little bastard will stand up and snipe my ass killing three or four men.  I even had a sniper team miss for three turns and again little Jihad John will stand and smack my sniper.  On that note do scopes do anything(not noticing it if they do).  

That is frustrating and I experience it occasionally.   @c3k posted the below explanation in October 2014 which I am paraphrasing:

Area fire is needed for suppression.  If you aim at the sniper, he'll duck. Then, with him out of LOS, your men will stop shooting, his morale will recover, he'll pop up and shoot your guys, in turn they will shoot at him, he'll duck, recover, repeat.  Area target will keep the incoming fire at his location even when he is out of LOS. 

1 minute ago, MOS:96B2P said:
2 hours ago, Bloody Bill said:

I think this happens, or happens more often, with full squads.  I almost always split squads into fire teams and can't remember the last time I saw this behavior.  Other players, a few weeks ago IIRC, mentioned this running around to the backdoor behavior.  So you are not alone.  My work around is split squads into fire teams. 

Yeah there is more going on that just full squad entering a building. I am playing All Flights Delayed and I am clearing medium risk buildings with full squads. So, far no unexpected entry choices. I think the driver has to do with dence urban terrain and stand alone buildings with two doors. In other words I am not seeing it with a large multiple module buildings only single ones with plenty of walls, fence and or vegetation around.

At any rate I think @MOS:96B2P's solution of split teams is a good one. Also include some pauses so multiple teams are not trying to enter at the same time.

I'll echo @IanL and @MOS:96B2P in their recommendation for using infantry in urban terrain. I'll add that in general, infantry are far better off the more you micromanage them. It can be a pain, but the payoff tends to be worth it. I'm always very specific with movement waypoints, and I generally do not place two movement waypoints that are farther than 75m apart. That awy, I designate specifically where I want the pixeltruppen to go to cut down on some of the pathing issues people have posted about. I also use a lot of short pauses on movement waypoints. This helps to keep movements coordinated, allows the infantry a chance to check their breath and to take a better look around to spot threats. Something I picked up from @Bil Hardenberger and his blog and have taken to heart. Very much recommend taking a look at his blog and his AARs to see how real world tactics can be effectively translated into CM. Additionally, knowing which commands to use for the situation is crucial. For example, I would advise you to never 'Hunt' into a building you know or think is occupied. Doing this causes troops to stop and freeze in the fatal funnel, and usually produces a mascas. 

As to the Mk19's inaccuracy, I too am a bit curious about this. IIRC the current dispersion was added into the engine with the release of Black Sea, before Shock Force was upgraded to the current engine with SF2. That is to say, in Shock Force 1 the Mk19 was much more accurate, and it appears that reducing that accuracy was an intentional decision by BFC. Personally, I also think that the accuracy of the Mk19 has been toned down a bit too far.

Absolutely agree with the recommendations to micromanage infantry through buildings with lots of pauses (both to rest and to listen), it's a must IMHO.

Having a good look at the terrain around buildings is useful too, if one face of a building is deeply inset into the terrain, units may have difficulty using a door on that face.

52 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

I'll add that in general, infantry are far better off the more you micromanage them. It can be a pain, but the payoff tends to be worth it.

I look at it this way. If my play history shows that there are no issues in previous similar situations I don't micro manage and let the squads do their thing. If past history indicates that bad things might happen I start to be more of a micro manager. That helps reduce the pain factor by not micromanaging everything - just what needs it.