My views on the future of the CM series

First, let me say that the work that Battlefront has put into the CM series over the past 20 years or so, is absolutely fantastic. I want to thank all of the members of the development team and the beta-test team. If it had not been for you, the rest of us would not be able to enjoy these games for all of these years. Secondly, I am sure to get rebuffed by several members of the development team and/or by members of these forums by what I feel should be given some consideration for future titles in the series.

Future Combat Mission games/modules:

1) It goes without saying that a North African game/CMIF module is one that many would want to see in the future.

2) Early War Russian Front game/CMRT module.

3) World War II PTO from 1942 till the end of the war. I have been told that it would be difficult to develop the terrain found in that theater of the conflict, but I have to disagree. Also, I was told that it is not a particularly popular wargame subject in the gaming world. I beg to differ. Some of the most intense combat (post-invasion) took place on those God forsaken islands. Yes, Japanese armor left a lot to be desired but the Japanese Army and Marines were some of the most tenacious adversaries that the Untied States Army and Marines fought against during the war.  

4) Cold War circa mid-1970s to late 1980s. Probably best to have a base game and modules that would add additional units/years/nations.

5) Modern or near future. These has already been much discussion about what countries should be included in any future CMBS expansion modules, so I won't rehash them in this post.

6) WW 1 or Korea or Vietnam. Questionable. Not my favorite periods of warfare history but there are those gamers that might like to see them eventually included in the series.

In closing let me say this. As I have been on a development and beta-testing team for another gaming company, I do understand that only so much can be done with a certain game system when it is a small gaming company such as Battlefront. However, I do see a bright future for everyone that works so hard on this game series and I wish to thank you once again.

Edited by WhiteWolf65

2 hours ago, WhiteWolf65 said:

First, let me say that the work that Battlefront has put into the CM series over the past 20 years or so, is absolutely fantastic. I want to thank all of the members of the development team and the beta-test team. If it had not been for you, the rest of us would not be able to enjoy these games for all of these years. Secondly, I am sure to get rebuffed by several members of the development team and/or by members of these forums by what I feel should be given some consideration for future titles in the series.

1) It goes without saying that a North African game/CMIF module is one that many would want to see in the future.

3) World War II PTO from 1942 till the end of the war. I have been told that it would be difficult to develop the terrain found in that theater of the conflict, but I have to disagree. Also, I was told that it is not a particularly popular wargame subject in the gaming world. I beg to differ. Some of the most intense combat (post-invasion) took place on those God forsaken islands. Yes, Japanese armor left a lot to be desired but the Japanese Army and Marines were some of the most tenacious adversaries that the Untied States Army and Marines fought against during the war.  

4) Cold War circa mid-1970s to late 1980s. Probably best to have a base game and modules that would add additional units/years/nations.

5) Modern or near future. These has already been much discussion about what countries should be included in any future CMBS expansion modules, so I won't rehash them in this post.

6) WW 1 or Korea or Vietnam. Questionable. Not my favorite periods of warfare history but there are those gamers that might like to see them eventually included in the series.

In closing let me say this. As I have been on a development and beta-testing team for another gaming company, I do understand that only so much can be done with a certain game system when it is a small gaming company such as Battlefront. However, I do see a bright future for everyone that works so hard on this game series and I wish to thank you once again.

That should have been CMFI. Sorry about that. I also omitted the Arab/Israeli Conflicts.

For much of the same reason I love the CMSF desert environment: sunshine, blue skies (and longer ranges) am also hoping that we'll see a CM:DAK module.  Many current WW2 AFV mods could be adapted for early war.  And if CM2 eventually does get to early war, then pretty much all units seen in NA will be available.

Plenty of often requested ideas there. I'll summarize some of the discussion that has happened in the past on those same requests.

Agreed lots of people want to see this too. IIRC Steve didn't reject it but also said it was not high on his list.

The stated plan for the eastern front was to create a new game for each year of the war with modules to fill it out. CMRT is the first of these along with the planned module. We don't have visibility into any more details than that.

Another one that lots of people have asked for. Again from memory I think Steve did say he wasn't interested in this at all.

Same with this one. The other problem here is BFC have done historical conflicts and hypothetical future conflicts. They have not done a hypothetical conflict in the past. Also note that none of their games cover decades long time frames. I think CMFI will have the longest time and it goes from 43 to 45. CMBS and CMSF don't even cover a full year.  All that to say that if they did do a cold war gone hot scenario (which they have never indicated would be likely) they would likely dream up a scenario that lasted a few months in some particular year and that's it.

WW1 I, personally, would not want and I doubt would be popular. Korea, yes but I have seen no indication that BFC has any such plans. Vietnam is another one that has come up before and generated only a little interest - none of which came from BFC :)

...I do understand that only so much can be done with a certain game system when it is a small gaming company such as Battlefront. However, I do see a bright future for everyone that works so hard on this game series and I wish to thank you once again.

Yep, we will get lots of great stuff but it will be limited to what they have time for. I also agree there is a bright future.

3 minutes ago, IanL said:

Plenty of often requested ideas there. I'll summarize some of the discussion that has happened in the past on those same requests.

And I apologize if I am rehashing old posts. These were just my thoughts.

Agreed lots of people want to see this too. IIRC Steve didn't reject it but also said it was not high on his list.

Not really sure why it would not be high on anyone's list. CMAK was very popular in it's day. But Steve is the boss.

The stated plan for the eastern front was to create a new game for each year of the war with modules to fill it out. CMRT is the first of these along with the planned module. We don't have visibility into any more details than that.

This is good news and I do hope we see more dealing with the Russian Front as it is my all-time favorite World War II theater of operations.

Another one that lots of people have asked for. Again from memory I think Steve did say he wasn't interested in this at all.

Again, Steve is the boss but I do think it should be considered at some point. Nuff said.

Same with this one. The other problem here is BFC have done historical conflicts and hypothetical future conflicts. They have not done a hypothetical conflict in the past. Also note that none of their games cover decades long time frames. I think CMFI will have the longest time and it goes from 43 to 45. CMBS and CMSF don't even cover a full year.  All that to say that if they did do a cold war gone hot scenario (which they have never indicated would be likely) they would likely dream up a scenario that lasted a few months in some particular year and that's it.

I remember back in the day when I played the old SSI computer games, like Reforger '88. Those were not the same unit scale as the CS games, but they were fun nonetheless. I just think it would be interesting to see what would have transpired between the United States/NATO and Soviet Union/Warsaw Pact with the exception of tactical nukes. No nukes, no nukes. LOL.

WW1 I, personally, would not want and I doubt would be popular. Korea, yes but I have seen no indication that BFC has any such plans. Vietnam is another one that has come up before and generated only a little interest - none of which came from BFC :)

Agreed. Why waste time on games that would have little interest with the customer base when that time could be better spent on titles that that base would be interested in.

Yep, we will get lots of great stuff but it will be limited to what they have time for. I also agree there is a bright future.

Yes but some of us, including myself, don't have quite as much future as others. That is a whole other discussion best left alone or discussed in private.

5 hours ago, WhiteWolf65 said:

And I apologize if I am rehashing old posts. These were just my thoughts.

No apology needed - there are are over 600 000 posts on these forums so it will take you a while to catch up ;)

5 hours ago, WhiteWolf65 said:

Yes but some of us, including myself, don't have quite as much future as others. That is a whole other discussion best left alone or discussed in private.

On second thought don't catch up just play the games we have and enjoy them :D

Edited by IanL
Off by a factor of 10