New CMMODS IV

Hello Gentlemen

I had hoped to delay the announcement of this until the new CMMODS site was 100% finished and all the mods uploaded however due to circumstances I am pulling the announcement forward to... well now.

After recent discussions between GreenAsJade and Battlefront it has been decided to relocate the CMMODSIII site to fall under the umbrella of The Few Good Men where The Proving Grounds and The Scenario Depot already reside. 

To this end work has begun on moving the modifications currently hosted at CMMODSIII to their new home at CMMODS IV.  As you can imagine this is a major job and will take a few weeks.  CMMODSIII will remain open until the full transfer has taken place so for now I request that no new mods be uploaded to CMMODSIII. 

Within the next few days CMMODS IV will be opening the requests section for folk interested in becoming Creators (formerly Authors) and at this time the new upload process will be implemented.  This will be under the Instructions section of the new website but I will post in this thread to keep you all in the loop.

A few points about the new website worth mentioning... all files will now be held in cloud storage so even a catastrophic website crash will not impact any loss of modifications.  All files from the old CMMODSIII site will be relisted and recently with the help of @Erwin I have acquired approx. just shy of 300GB of modifications with quite a few that slipped through the net between the Repository and CMMODSIII transfer over 3 years ago.  So as you can imagine Im going to be very busy over the next few weeks.

Please do not subscribe to the new CMMODS IV just yet or you will be inundated with copious amounts of uploads... I think I uploaded over 100 today... you really don't want that many notification emails dropping in your inbox anytime soon!

In closing I want to thank Martin for all his sterling work over the years keeping CMMODS running and it's an honour to pick up the gauntlet where he left off.

Without further ado, here is the new site, still a work in progress but getting their quickly.  

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/cm-mod-warehouse/

Regards

Bootie

@Battlefront.com

• Bootie pinned this topic
13 hours ago, Bootie said:

it has been decided to relocate the CMMODSIII site to fall under the umbrella of The Few Good Men where The Proving Grounds and The Scenario Depot already reside. 

with the help of @Erwin I have acquired approx. just shy of 300GB of modifications with quite a few that slipped through the net between the Repository and CMMODSIII transfer over 3 years ago. 

So as you can imagine Im going to be very busy over the next few weeks.

@Bootie you are a workaholic!! :)  It makes me wonder, do you ever sleep?  If so probably only a few hours a night.  Another great contribution to the community.  

Also, a big thank you to @Erwin for saving 300GB of content.  Some of this content would have been forever lost if it were not for Erwin.  +1 up vote for Erwin!  

Bootie does a lot of work for the community.  CMMODS is just one of several sites that he runs and maintains in addition to his RL commitments.  Below is a link to a site that helps to support his efforts.

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/threads/want-to-become-a-patron.28932/#post-266645

Not sure what Shane is planning re CM1.  He is doing all the work I am simply supplying the mods and scenarios and campaigns (and also some interesting game data that players accumulated over the years). 

Re CM1 I have heavily modded BMP folders for CMBB and CMAK (not sure if I still have CMBO).  In CM1, one had to replace original "basegame" graphics with new ones in the same BMP folder.  So, many of the original (base install) mods are deleted from my CM1 games.  But one can get them back by reinstalling a CM1 game. 

I may still have a lot of "raw" zipped mods that I downloaded for the CM1 games and did not use.  But, will have to check when I get back home.

At present I am working through all the files on CMMODS III... then I will be opening the 300GB file I got from @Erwin and cross referencing it with the files I have uploaded onto CMMODS IV and will upload any that are missing.

Thats my current plan of action anyway so just now CMx1 mods isn't even on my radar but Im not saying no... just 'probably' no.  How big s the existing player base.  I know we still run tourneys and things for CMx1 over at The FGM but the player base is tiny.

Awesome! It's a relieve that a viable solution have been found to salvage all these timeless mods. Thank you all involved and thank you Bootie for all the work you are still going to put in. 👍

Would it be a good time to merge to a single archive mods that had to split to fit on CMMODS the third, such as Worghern's Blitzkrieg Environment ?

Edited by CMFDR

I had a poke around the old CMMODS CM1 warehouse a few months back for different reasons. It was a walk down memory lane. :DThe only bits that I stole that could still be useful for the majority of the CM playerbase today was some campaign ideas/tracking sheets, (which need to be repaired to work with modern versions of MS Excel - not volunteering at this time :D ) and some textures for the UI.

Porting over sounds for a greater sounscape maybe possible but would require a lot of work even just renaming all the files. I could see little point in bringing over most of the texture mods that make up the vast bulk of what's posted there.

If someone wanted to have a fully modded CM1 game, the easiest way would be to d/l a fully modded CM1 BMP folder and then make improvements (if any) from there on.  Depending on Shane's schedule and intentions for CMMODS IV, I could upload my CM1 BMP folders which (to my eye) make the game look almost as good as CM2 when viewed from lever 3 or higher. 

The vast majority of them are in CMMODS III... I am transferring them to the upgraded CMMODS IV and I believe any files lost through the original transition have been provided to me by @Erwin but as for the actual repository physical location and files... you need to ask the owners.