JSGME (Jonesoft Generic Mod Enabler) will it work with CM??

WhiteWolf65

I was wondering if the Jonesoft Generic Mod Enabler (JSGME) would work with the Combat Mission series? I am sure that I could answer this question on my own once I have CMBN and CMSF installed on the new computer, but I am was just wondering if it would be worth the effort before I try.

Edited by WhiteWolf65

It does, while tags are great to organize things, they are not (yet?) everywhere. Thus a tool such a JSGME can be very useful to compare things and or, for example, play a campaign without having to open it up and add a tag.

@WillemO is, if not a prophet in this field, a true zealot of that method.

• 1 year later...

I realise it's been a year since this topic started, but this newbie is just getting started and loading mods. Since I'm used to JSGME, that's what I naturally gravitate to, and while I understand for the old hands, adding mods seems simple enough, the instructions I've seen in various ReadMe's and herein still seem to contradict. I have to say, having tried to read through the instructions for Rez, honestly, JSGME sounds as lot more intuitive and simple.

For instance:

Some ReadMe's talk about putting their 'folder' in the Z folder. So...let's take the Kriegsmarine Uniform mod - should the folder be put in the Z folder or just the files? What about something like the Hedgerow Hell mod that has a multi-level folder tree?

What about the Umlaut's Commercial Buildings mod? Is that just a designer mod? I ask, coz it too has a multi-level folder tree. Do we paste the 100, 101, etc. folders all into the Z file, or do we only paste the actual files inside each of those folders? 1st Polish Insignia is another - is each unit's folder pasted into Z or is each unit folder (eg. 8eme batallion) a separate mod whose files are pasted directly into Z? 

When Tags are mentioned (eg. MOS Remove GE helmets), does that mean if we 'paste' those files into Z, they will only be detected by that scenario, so they can just sit in the Z folder without affecting anything else? If that's the case, why do they need to be removed if one wants to use the untagged files, since the file names are different?

To add a final level of complexity, if one uses Juju's UI mods but wants to use some of the options, you have to 'add' the base mod (however one chooses to do so), and then 'overwrite' those files within his UI mod, to add the options (eg. red-cross wounded label). That I've figured out using JSGME. With that it's simple enough; I just make the desired option a separate mod and then replicate the UI-mod folder tree for where that option(s) goes in the UI mod. That way I can swap out the options whenever I want without having to touch the original UI mod.

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I hope I've communicated how pretzel like the 'simple' mod feature still seems to be. Someone created a dead soldiers animation mod. I've yet to figure out where those files are supposed to go? Just straight into the Z folder, or within their own, separate 'animations' folder within the Z folder?

Any help much appreciated and apologies in advance for any frustration 

Edited by RMM

1 hour ago, RMM said:

Some ReadMe's talk about putting their 'folder' in the Z folder. So...let's take the Kriegsmarine Uniform mod - should the folder be put in the Z folder or just the files? What about something like the Hedgerow Hell mod that has a multi-level folder tree?

Yup, chuck 'em in z.....The game will handle it.

1 hour ago, RMM said:

What about the Umlaut's Commercial Buildings mod? Is that just a designer mod? I ask, coz it too has a multi-level folder tree. Do we paste the 100, 101, etc. folders all into the Z file, or do we only paste the actual files inside each of those folders? 1st Polish Insignia is another - is each unit's folder pasted into Z or is each unit folder (eg. 8eme batallion) a separate mod whose files are pasted directly into Z?

Dunno, maybe ask @umlaut?

1 hour ago, RMM said:

When Tags are mentioned (eg. MOS Remove GE helmets), does that mean if we 'paste' those files into Z, they will only be detected by that scenario, so they can just sit in the Z folder without affecting anything else? If that's the case, why do they need to be removed if one wants to use the untagged files, since the file names are different?

If the mods are tagged they will, as you surmise, only be detected by scenarios that use that tag.....Thus if everything has been done correctly there is no reason to remove these mods, the untagged files will be selected by default unless the tag has been used.  The only issue I can forsee would be possible conflicts with other mods you have installed.

FWIW & HTH

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

1 hour ago, RMM said:

What about the Umlaut's Commercial Buildings mod? Is that just a designer mod? I ask, coz it too has a multi-level folder tree. Do we paste the 100, 101, etc. folders all into the Z file, or do we only paste the actual files inside each of those folders?

I dont know what a "designer mod" is, so I am not able to answer that.

Regarding my Commercial Buildings mods (or any of my other mod sets) just place the entire main folder in your z folder - with all the subfolders inside. The game will figure it out.

I havent heard of JSGME until now, so I cant comment on it´s use.

I was using the OvGME mod enabler quite a lot in previous years... it worked very well & enabled me to flip between various mod sets & sub mods in seconds.

Can't quite recall why I didn't use JSGME... but I think it was only a combination of bad memories (from Silent Hunter III & IV days) & a few useful things that OvGME provided (automatic .zip file packing & unpacking seems vaguely memorable) which deterred me.

I only no longer use the enabler because I've mostly been using only one (near permenantly installed) modpack.

For everyone else, if you use a lot of mods, I endorse.

8 hours ago, RMM said:

To add a final level of complexity, if one uses Juju's UI mods but wants to use some of the options, you have to 'add' the base mod (however one chooses to do so), and then 'overwrite' those files within his UI mod, to add the options (eg. red-cross wounded label). That I've figured out using JSGME. With that it's simple enough; I just make the desired option a separate mod and then replicate the UI-mod folder tree for where that option(s) goes in the UI mod. That way I can swap out the options whenever I want without having to touch the original UI mod.

As you say, some mods have optional files within their folders - @Mord's excellent portrait mods come to mind - which require that you only put the options you want for each troop type into the Z folder, but still inside a 'Mord's portraits' folder or whatever you would like to call it.  They do however come with quite explicit instructions on what to do.  I imagine you could also just put the individual portraits straight into the Z folder but if you did that with everything it would soon become cluttered and difficult to manage.

I think I must have opted not to use the options with @Juju's UI mods, or at least I can't remember doing so, but I use them for all titles that I have and they're also excellent.

I used to use JSGME some time ago (for things like Silent Hunter 3 as @37mm said, before it was totally transformed by the The Grey Wolves mod 😁 and needed nothing else) but I haven't felt the need for CM titles.  Whatever works though 😉.

16 hours ago, RMM said:

What about something like the Hedgerow Hell mod that has a multi-level folder tree?

I think you’ve probably gotten your answers here, but to reiterate some of what’s been said. With my Hedgerow Hell mod I provided a simple chuck-it-all-in-and-forget version, at various resolutions, and a more complex pick’n’mix version where you can drill down into the various types of object, be it trees or bocage, to customise your game. The chuck-it-all-in-and-forget version can just be put straight into your Z folder, folders and all, to override the game default and anything that is alpha-numerically BEFORE it in your Z folder. Just choose which resolution suits you and off you go. With the pick’n’mix version you can mix and match resolutions and model types to get a more custom approach. The best way to use the pick’n’mix version is to first install one of the chuck-it-all-in-and-forget versions at you preferred resolution, then to overwrite the various parts you don’t want. If you mess up you can always just drag the whole lot out of your Z folder and start over, no harm done.

16 hours ago, RMM said:

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I hope I've communicated how pretzel like the 'simple' mod feature still seems to be. Someone created a dead soldiers animation mod. I've yet to figure out where those files are supposed to go? Just straight into the Z folder, or within their own, separate 'animations' folder within the Z folder?

No, it’s good to be clear about this. My personal approach is to have subfolders within the Z folder that contains each type of mod eg Buildings, Roads, Trees etc you get the idea. This can be as complex or simple as you like, so long as they are in the Z folder call them what makes sense to you. Within these category subfolders I put individual mods in named folders appended with the mod makers name so I know which ones I’m using. I have one special folder in the Z folder called zztesting, or something like that, which I use just to test new mods, this will always override the category folders so makes testing new mods easy. Treat the animation the same way as any mod, and yes if a folder called animations makes sense to you then do that. And if you’re a real glutton for punishment you can just stick all the .bmp .wav etc files loose into your Z folder, they’ll work but maybe with some odd results once you collect a mod or two or a thousand ...

Edited by Lucky_Strike
One dot short

On 2/4/2021 at 8:37 PM, umlaut said:

I dont know what a "designer mod" is, so I am not able to answer that.

Regarding my Commercial Buildings mods (or any of my other mod sets) just place the entire main folder in your z folder - with all the subfolders inside. The game will figure it out.

I havent heard of JSGME until now, so I cant comment on it´s use.

Tks Umlaut. What U meant by designer mod was something that could only be used for creating a scenario. From the description you gave, your has to have been used in the scenario creation for its effects to be seen, right? In other words, I can't just paste the mod into Z, and then expect to see it change the building depictions otherwise?  

On 2/5/2021 at 12:54 AM, 37mm said:

I was using the OvGME mod enabler quite a lot in previous years... it worked very well & enabled me to flip between various mod sets & sub mods in seconds.

Can't quite recall why I didn't use JSGME... but I think it was only a combination of bad memories (from Silent Hunter III & IV days) & a few useful things that OvGME provided (automatic .zip file packing & unpacking seems vaguely memorable) which deterred me.

I only no longer use the enabler because I've mostly been using only one (near permenantly installed) modpack.

For everyone else, if you use a lot of mods, I endorse.

OvGME? Haven't heard of it. Sounds, from what your saying like an improvement on JSGME? Yeh, I first came across JSGME in Silent Hunter days, but have always appreciated its simplicity and flexibility since.

On 2/5/2021 at 10:53 AM, Lucky_Strike said:

I think you’ve probably gotten your answers here, but to reiterate some of what’s been said. With my Hedgerow Hell mod I provided a simple chuck-it-all-in-and-forget version, at various resolutions, and a more complex pick’n’mix version where you can drill down into the various types of object, be it trees or bocage, to customise your game. The chuck-it-all-in-and-forget version can just be put straight into your Z folder, folders and all, to override the game default and anything that is alpha-numerically BEFORE it in your Z folder. Just choose which resolution suits you and off you go. With the pick’n’mix version you can mix and match resolutions and model types to get a more custom approach. The best way to use the pick’n’mix version is to first install one of the chuck-it-all-in-and-forget versions at you preferred resolution, then to overwrite the various parts you don’t want. If you mess up you can always just drag the whole lot out of your Z folder and start over, no harm done.

Hi and thanks for the comprehensive answer, for being willing to spell it out. Just so I am clear  - the chuck-it-all-in-and-forget version is the _1 ? What is the ReShade presets?

2 hours ago, RMM said:

Hi and thanks for the comprehensive answer, for being willing to spell it out. Just so I am clear  - the chuck-it-all-in-and-forget version is the _1 ? What is the ReShade presets?

Hi RMM, yes. I had to go and take a look to refresh my memory. I suggest you get the read me file here and if you just want to get started with the easy chuck-it-all-in-and-forget version it’s as you say the _1 file here.

So, the ReShade presets are for the game and video post processing software called ReShade. What it does is to take the video out feed from your game and applies effects to it on the fly in real-time. If you have a decent graphics card and CPU you can run it on the CM games to add extra effects to the game like depth of field and colour tone mapping or grading. It’s what makes some of my screenshots look umm different. Head over to the ReShade site and take a look, then if you are interested you can give it a go, it’s pretty easy to install and the presets are there to give you a start. One word of warning though, it’s a complete time drain, if you get into using it you can spend hours just tweaking the settings instead of playing the game! I have literally spent hours just wandering around maps in CM with ReShade enabled just admiring the view ... 📷

38 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Hi RMM, yes. I had to go and take a look to refresh my memory. I suggest you get the read me file here and if you just want to get started with the easy chuck-it-all-in-and-forget version it’s as you say the _1 file here.

Thanks you my friend. Ok, I'll setup the _1 file for JSGME insertion and check 'em it out. I have the ReadMe from the zipped MOD folder, but wasn't sure which as which in terms of just plug-n-go. Appreciate your time and efforts for sure :)

Sounds like it might be best for me to pass on the ReShade, least for now, but that's, truly some awesome work! Tks again

16 hours ago, RMM said:

Thanks you my friend. Ok, I'll setup the _1 file for JSGME insertion and check 'em it out. I have the ReadMe from the zipped MOD folder, but wasn't sure which as which in terms of just plug-n-go. Appreciate your time and efforts for sure :)

Sounds like it might be best for me to pass on the ReShade, least for now, but that's, truly some awesome work! Tks again

You’re welcome. Do let us know how you get on with JSGME when you have time. Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

I have enjoyed using JSGME a few years back. It seemed to take a small bit of work to set it up but then it was very useful to pick and choose what you wanted for even a quick battle "global in game appearance" I guess you'd call it. As opposed to modtagged mods which require the scenario to have the modtag to allow "scenario with proper modtags only appearance". Does that make sense? SOmehow I jumped off the tracks of using it and never went back...

You want your hooker in leather with whips and chains? JSGME bing

You want her in the Japanese schoolgirl outfit? JSGME bing bing

Dressed as Nancy Pelosi with the gavel? JSGME bing bing bing

@RMM Thanks, I am now motivated to set it back up. I have a bunch of CMRT mods and more on the way that SCREAM OUT to have JSGME.

1 hour ago, kohlenklau said:

I have enjoyed using JSGME a few years back. It seemed to take a small bit of work to set it up but then it was very useful to pick and choose what you wanted for even a quick battle "global in game appearance" I guess you'd call it. As opposed to modtagged mods which require the scenario to have the modtag to allow "scenario with proper modtags only appearance". Does that make sense? SOmehow I jumped off the tracks of using it and never went back...

You want your hooker in leather with whips and chains? JSGME bing

You want her in the Japanese schoolgirl outfit? JSGME bing bing

Dressed as Nancy Pelosi with the gavel? JSGME bing bing bing

@RMM Thanks, I am now motivated to set it back up. I have a bunch of CMRT mods and more on the way that SCREAM OUT to have JSGME.

With ya all the way there Kohlenklau! Someone mentioned OvGME, apparently an improved version, but JSGME seems to do all I need.