CMSF 2 - a few unrelated observations

Euri

Form my experience so far:

1) German Observers cannot order artillery missions beyond 1000 meters - (Observation based on Al Bab mission of German Campaign. Not sure if it applies to all spotters)

2) US soldiers tend to overuse handguns in close quarters instead of assault rifles.

3) Syrians tend to abandon positions in buildings and run into the open if they are hit by artillery or HE or high caliber (over 20mm) fire. This is pure stupidity as it makes them much mover vulnerable. In general the AI tends to retreat more easily than CMSF1 which makes missions much easier

Only the US campaigns have been updated. This could be the issue with your first point.

As for your last point, the pathfinding was tweaked in the 2.01 patch. If you have applied this patch then welcome to the club - the evasion/withdraw/retreat/etc. failings are what they are. It's more noticeable in close environments. No forthcoming corrective patch is expected.

15 hours ago, Euri said:

1) German Observers cannot order artillery missions beyond 1000 meters - (Observation based on Al Bab mission of German Campaign. Not sure if it applies to all spotters)

Create a test map, open, flat, 2k by 2k, then see if you can call in an artillery mission further than 1000 meters. Make sure the weather is set to clear.

15 hours ago, Euri said:

2) US soldiers tend to overuse handguns in close quarters instead of assault rifles.

I see them walking around with pistols in their hands, but when they shoot they switch back to the carbine unless they are very low on ammo.

15 hours ago, Euri said:

3) Syrians tend to abandon positions in buildings and run into the open if they are hit by artillery or HE or high caliber (over 20mm) fire. This is pure stupidity as it makes them much mover vulnerable. In general the AI tends to retreat more easily than CMSF1 which makes missions much easier

Tell that to the fanatical SF and Combatants I shelled repeatedly during Ash Shammas:

https://youtu.be/nTTDoXY0CQA

Edited by General Jack Ripper
I use too many commas.

8 hours ago, Howler said:

Only the US campaigns have been updated. This could be the issue with your first point.

Nonsense.

As for your last point, the pathfinding was tweaked in the 2.01 patch. If you have applied this patch then welcome to the club - the evasion/withdraw/retreat/etc. failings are what they are. It's more noticeable in close environments.

More nonsense.

2.01 patch had nothing to do with unit pathfinding:

v2.01 PATCH NOTES

CAMPAIGNS AND SCENARIOS
- The Semper Fi Syria campaign now only requires the USMC Module.

TO&E
- Various minor adjustments.
- G-36 rifles removed from some Dutch vehicle crews.
- Stingers and Stinger teams removed from British Army.

QUICK BATTLES
- Numerous adjustments to normalize equipment available to the branches of different nations. For example, tanks were removed from service Infantry branches, and added tanks to service armored/mech infantry branches.
- Unconventional Infantry now have access to technicals.
- Several Quick Battle maps were updated.

BUG FIXES
- All on-map mortars can now be properly used in indirect fire missions.
- Spies are once again stealthy, based on Civilian Density.
- Equipment adjustments to Marine, Dutch, and German soldier models.
- Many minor art fixes.
- Fixes to misplaced crewmembers.
- Fixes for incorrectly assigned floating icons.
- Linear assembly tool now works properly with ditches.
- When opening a map from CMSF1 in CMSF2, ditches will no longer convert to wire fences.
- Various crash and hang fixes.

MISC
-Updated base game manual PDF, with a fortifications chapter that explains use of IEDs.

No forthcoming corrective patch is expected.

Oh please. :rolleyes:

17 hours ago, Euri said:

I'd be willing to bet this down to them being rubbish troops, ie: poor soft factors in the editor, being applied to an already poor quality formation.

@General Jack Ripper , some have reported issues regarding  pathfinding. Posts describing the less than perfect placement of the 'withdraw' waypoint, particularly in urban maps, are all over this board. You, yourself, recently posted a 'bug' regarding pathfinding on this very forum. You were less than civil in your response to me there too. 😀

CMSF2 is only expecting the updated NATO campaigns which are to be released as they become ready.

The other titles are expecting the CMSF2 pathfinding algorithm to be made available real soon now to paraphrase BFC on it's imminent forthcoming release. What is expected will be title specific corrections along with a toning down of the 'flight' behavior which many have reported as problematic when it occurs to units in protective cover such as foxholes, buildings, bunkers. trenches, etc.

I'm not sure what posting the 2.01 release notes was intended to achieve. Try explaining it to me again without using the word nonsense as your sole response. 😀

Edited by Howler

4 minutes ago, Howler said:

The other titles are expecting the CMSF2 pathfinding algorithm to be made available real soon now to paraphrase BFC on it's imminent forthcoming release. What is expected will be title specific corrections along with a toning down of the 'flight' behavior which many have reported as problematic when it occurs to units in protective cover such as foxholes, buildings, bunkers. trenches, etc.

I think the confusion might be over the upcoming patches and what they entail. 

As far as I know, the patches will have title specific fixes, as well as overall engine fixes. For example, it has been mentioned that the BAR and Bren guns in the WWII titles will return to firing bursts at long range while stabilized. This is obviously exclusive to the WWII titles. 

The big overall engine fix will be to the TAC AI abandoning its positions while under direct or indirect HE fire. This fix has already been applied to the release of CMSF2, so the behavior we are seeing in CMSF2 is what we will see in all other 4.0 titles once the patches are released. I personally think it is a great improvement over the base 4.0 behavior.

What is not currently 100% clear is whether or not there will be a title specific patch for CMSF2 along with the rest of the patches. I suspect not, though I have no firm proof to back this up. Just my hunch.