Getting back to CM finally (UPDATE)

Tomorrow is the day I will finally be ordering my new computer and placing the first of several Battlefront orders I will be making over the next year. I will be starting my new Combat Mission library with the Battle for Normandy Big Bundle and the British module for CMSF-2. That should keep me busy as I will also be downloading any mods and scenarios that are available for CMBN-4 and CMSF-2 from here and the Scenario Depot. Question. Will the JSGME mod installer work with the Combat Mission games? I hope so, because it sure makes adding and removing mods very easy.

The place to get them is cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net which you can access from this site. As for "must haves" no two forum members can agree on. My advice would be to go through each game one by one. Create a mod holding folder outside of the game. And a "Z" folder within it. Then just test the mods one by one and decide which ones you want to keep. Some you will use all the time whilst some will be specific to certain campaigns or stand alone battles.

8 hours ago, liamb said:

Is there an ‘idiots guide’ explainer on how to do this somewhere?

Hey if I can do it, it is pretty idiot proof.   You just rename your mod files and put the following after each of the mod files you want for say snow. [snow]. Then you create a text file calling it whatever you want and in the file you type snow.  Then open a scenario and in the data section for mod tags do an import of that file. Bingo.  Granted it can be time consuming initially tagging them but once done you can keep them in your mod folder and only use them when you want to  

The file can can have multiple entries so you could have snow, squalor and 101st to have all the mods tagged for those 3 items in your scenario. 

I took Cpt millers uniform mods for CMSF tagged each of them for the unit and can now import them into a scenario then play it with the unit I want. Next week if I want to use a different unit I just open the scenario and import that units tag file. 

Mods that I tend to use all the time like kieme’s buildings I don’t bother tagging. 

Edited by sburke

On 2/14/2019 at 4:54 PM, sburke said:

Hey if I can do it, it is pretty idiot proof.   You just rename your mod files and put the following after each of the mod files you want for say snow. [snow]. Then you create a text file calling it whatever you want and in the file you type snow.  Then open a scenario and in the data section for mod tags do an import of that file. Bingo.  Granted it can be time consuming initially tagging them but once done you can keep them in your mod folder and only use them when you want to  

<snipped>

Just to be clear, it sounds like "tagging" must be done in the scenario editor, correct?  In other words, "Open the editor, copy in the scenario, apply the precise tags, and save the scenario"?

Thank you.