Briefings Text mod

Digger_au

Hi does anyone have a recommendation for a mod that has larger or clearer text, i'm struggling to read the "Briefing" text at the start of battle. I can get through it albeit with some difficulty, i did search through the mod repository maybe i missed it idk, cheers

2 hours ago, Blazing 88's said:

If you have an Nvidia video card, turn off FXAA as it makes text fuzzy in CM.  That is all I know of for clearer text issues.

2 hours ago, Blazing 88's said:

If you have an Nvidia video card, turn off FXAA as it makes text fuzzy in CM.  That is all I know of for clearer text issues.

Thanks i have a Nvidia GTX 1060 just checked my settings after reading your post, FXAA is off, thx for replying appreciate it. IanL gave me excellent advice which is to retrieve the Briefing text from the Scenario editor and export it to to a text document like Word Perfect so i think i'm all set now thx guys

For future reference, I was able to solve my "Briefing" text issues by using the "Restore" function in the Nvidia Control panel under "Manage 3D settings" the restore button is on the lower right side in the "Global Settings" pane. previously i tried turning off Anti Aliasing and quite a few other options none seemed to work until i tried this obviously some of my personal settings were incompatible.

Edited by Digger_au
changed

@Digger_au You should be alright if you activate it through the game. I have a 1080 and use AA under "Options" in the main menu and have never had a problem in any of the games.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

10 minutes ago, Mord said:

@Digger_au You should be alright if you activate it through the game. I have a 1080 and use AA under "Options" in the main menu and have never had a problem in any of the games.

Mord.

Hi Mord, yeah i'm not 100% sure what was going on there but i've been doing some digging lol that pun, seems that some of my .dll files could have been having an impact as well, i scanned my system and found some unregistered 32x .dll files used by the 64x system. I spent quite some time looking on various forums regarding this and it seems it's not that uncommon which can result in text looking quite bad and "smudged" as one person described it, before i solved the issue i played around with the settings in the Nvidia control panel and in game settings in the "Options" menu and the text actually got worse at one point it looked quite faded, when i hovered my mouse pointer over the text however it brightened and became slightly clearer until i moved my mouse away. In the end i was able to through the "Command" prompt reinstall the .dll files and everything seems ok now, i am not 100% sure which fix did the trick but the text is now displaying correctly and easily readable for me now. (also increased text size in windows)

Have you tried the in-game AA after you fixed the Nivida problem?

And so you know, Movie Mode (alt-M) will turn off AA if you use in-game AA. Just in case you try Move Mode and wonder what happened.

Mord.

29 minutes ago, Mord said:

Have you tried the in-game AA after you fixed the Nivida problem?

And so you know, Movie Mode (alt-M) will turn off AA if you use in-game AA. Just in case you try Move Mode and wonder what happened.

Mord.

I have and there is an improvement using the in game AA not a helluva lot but it seems to be working correctly now. Previously though it made no difference whatsoever, i tried a ton of different combos using the Nvidia control panel but nothing seemed to work, as i mentioned before it actually got worse even with FXAA turned off. I also checked a lot of Windows settings as well like scaling etc to see if there was anything else impacting on the game which eventually lead me to some system diagnostics and the .dll reinstall. Appreciate everyone's advice though it all helps when it comes to diagnosing and fixing these annoying problems, so glad it's finally fixed.

Also i d/loaded a couple of your mods, really like the splash screen mod, nice work, haven't tried out the others yet but will do soon. 👍

PS the text problem visible the very first time i started the game

Edited by Digger_au
extra

19 minutes ago, benpark said:

While in the Nvidia control panel, be sure "FXAA" is set to "off". Using FXAA will result in blurry text every time, in my experience. Standard anti-aliasing (at any amount) works fine.

This link is helpful for going through the various graphics options (if using the Nvidia panel)-

http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_1.html

Thanks Ben much appreciated, i will read that and brush up on Nvidia i generally don't play with things unless i have to so that link will help thx mate. Also d/loaded one of your mods too Ben, the German foliage helmet mod, looks cool with the insignia, Cheers mate

Edited by Digger_au
extra

Thanks! That was something I made to get a break from making portraits. They start to drive me crazy after a while. That RT portrait mod will be updated once the module comes out. There's a ton more in the module version.

Glad you got it worked out.

BTW if you are looking for a new card anytime soon I just saw the RTX 2060s (the 1060 is coming soon which will be the non-RTX version of the 2060. Yeah, they named it 1060 AGAIN.) are running frames just shy of my GTX 1080 and they cost 500 dollars less! My specific 1080 is going for almost 250 more than when I bought it in 2017! But now that the bottom has dropped out on all those jerkoff Bitcoin miners the market is hopefully gonna stabilize. They about destroyed the vidcard market for gamers over the last two years.

Mord.

5 minutes ago, Mord said:

Thanks! That was something I made to get a break from making portraits. They start to drive me crazy after a while. That RT portrait mod will be updated once the module comes out. There's a ton more in the module version.

Glad you got it worked out.

BTW if you are looking for a new card anytime soon I just saw the RTX 2060s (the 1060 is coming soon which will be the non-RTX version of the 2060. Yeah, they named it 1060 AGAIN.) are running frames just shy of my GTX 1080 and they cost 500 dollars less! My specific 1080 is going for almost 250 more than when I bought it in 2017! But now that the bottom has dropped out on all those jerkoff Bitcoin miners the market is hopefully gonna stabilize. They about destroyed the vidcard market for gamers over the last two years.

Mord.

Yes i read quite a bit about the bit coin miners driving up prices, good thing you got yours b4 the prices went up, i wasn't so fortunate, i was in the same boat, there was a shortage of cards here in Australia and exorbitant prices right when my old card died, i settled for a mid range card MSI GTX 1060 couldn't afford anything above that plus i'm running on fairly old architecture ( i7 4770) with a Hero Maximus VII m/b so i didn't want to shell out too much cash as i will  be upgrading at some point when this system kicks the bucket. Strange they're naming it as a 1060. Your vid card should be good for awhile though? Yea i was a bit cheesed off too by bit coin miners when i bought my card. I don't think the market will drop though the manufacturers know they can sell their product at higher prices so i doubt things will improve but you never know.

Yeah, I am not in the market but was brushing up on some knowledge while helping a forum member. I think the prices will come back down to earth. Just wait until all those Miner cards start flooding the aftermarket. I don't necessarily think it was the manufacturers but people on Amazon and Newegg using the drought to gouge the crap outta everyone. I saw one guy selling my MSI Gaming X for a grand! That RTX 2060 is now a NO-brainer. There's no way in hell 6-10 extra frames is worth 500-700 more dollars LOL. So, those new RTX cards should also help bring the 10 series back down too.

I've periodically checked on my specs over the last two years to see how the prices have been. Apparently a couple of choices for my build were done right in the nick of time. RAM doubled within a month or so of my purchase and has just now started to drop. You can get my RAM config now for 10 bucks above what I paid. At one point it was over double the price! I had an EVGA 1080 FTW card fry my motherboard on my first build attempt and had to return 90% of my parts to Amazon. In that interim the RAM jumped 30 bucks. After that it went nuts.

I started with the Maximus Hero IX but didn't replace it when the EVGA card screwed me. I went with an MSI X Power Gaming Titanium and then turned around and sent it back and got a MSI Gaming M7. LOL. THAT build took quite a bit of time. And I'll tell you what I'll never buy a vid card from EVGA again. Come to find out, they knew their 1080 was killing boards, and in some cases, catching fire and never recalled the cards. They did however send out thermal pad kits to customers who requested them so they could fix the problem themselves. That's if you knew about the problem. Nice, huh? I returned about two grand worth of hardware just to be on the safe side.

Mord.

12 minutes ago, Mord said:

Yeah, I am not in the market but was brushing up on some knowledge while helping a forum member. I think the prices will come back down to earth. Just wait until all those Miner cards start flooding the aftermarket. I don't necessarily think it was the manufacturers but people on Amazon and Newegg using the drought to gouge the crap outta everyone. I saw one guy selling my MSI Gaming X for a grand! That RTX 2060 is now a NO-brainer. There's no way in hell 6-10 extra frames is worth 500-700 more dollars LOL. So, those new RTX cards should also help bring the 10 series back down too.

I've periodically checked on my specs over the last two years to see how the prices have been. Apparently a couple of choices for my build were done right in the nick of time. RAM doubled within a month or so of my purchase and has just now started to drop. You can get my RAM config now for 10 bucks above what I paid. At one point it was over double the price! I had an EVGA 1080 FTW card fry my motherboard on my first build attempt and had to return 90% of my parts to Amazon. In that interim the RAM jumped 30 bucks. After that it went nuts.

I started with the Maximus Hero IX but didn't replace it when the EVGA card screwed me. I went with an MSI X Power Gaming Titanium and then turned around and sent it back and got a MSI Gaming M7. LOL. THAT build took quite a bit of time. And I'll tell you what I'll never buy a vid card from EVGA again. Come to find out, they knew their 1080 was killing boards, and in some cases, catching fire and never recalled the cards. They did however send out thermal pad kits to customers who requested them so they could fix the problem themselves. That's if you knew about the problem. Nice, huh? I returned about two grand worth of hardware just to be on the safe side.

Mord.

Sounds like that was painful experience with that EVGA card, i wonder how many other customers they lost, it's easy to lose customers when you don't look after them. I purchased a m/board from new egg and it was total crap had send it back, only 2 ram slots worked and the board was warped so i put in for a refund took 3 mths to get the full refund, they initially refunded me just for postage had to contact them again and they're like np we'll refund you the remaining amount 3 mthx later i finally got the full refund after numerous chats with them, first and last time i do business with new egg. Sounds like your running a pretty decent system! Yeah your right about the high prices resulting more from the greedy retailers rather than the manufacturer, anything to make an easy dollar!

3 minutes ago, Digger_au said:

Sounds like that was painful experience with that EVGA card,

LOL. That whole build was a horror show. It started with getting it all put together and I had a bad water cooler. Replaced that and got everything up and running and started dling my Steam library. Went to work for about four hours, came back and it was dead. I spent a couple of days trouble shooting everything. I ended up back on Amazon reading some reviews on the FTW card and decided to read all the bad ones. I hadn't bothered before because of how ungodly good all the Youtube reviews and benchmarks had been. That's when I found out about it frying motherboards and catching fire. One guy had a pic of where it caught fire and scorched his comp. I concluded through all my other tests that it had to be what happened. I couldn't get a post. I don't think I even had lights.

39 minutes ago, Digger_au said:

i put in for a refund took 3 mths to get the full refund, they initially refunded me just for postage had to contact them again and they're like np we'll refund you the remaining amount 3 mthx later i finally got the full refund after numerous chats with them, first and last time i do business with new egg.

Yes, go with Amazon next time if you have them there. Their return policy is unmatched. My only screw up was that after I printed out the return labels (that they sent me) I scheduled a pick up with UPS. It took about ten days to get my refund. However, if I had taken the packages to a UPS shipper I wouldn've gotten a refund immediately after they scanned in the boxes. That's what happened when I returned the Titanium board. But that time spent waiting on my money allowed me a bunch of extra research time. I was all ready as soon as the money was back in my account. That's when the RAM jumped 30 bucks.

39 minutes ago, Digger_au said:

Sounds like your running a pretty decent system!

The rig was my first ever build. A 48th birthday gift to myself and a dream I'd had going back to like 1995. That Titanium board was probably a better board but it was overkill and I wasn't happy with it. So, I opted for switching it out. I told myself it'll be a VERY long time before you'll be able to do this again, do it right and make sure you are happy with your choices. It took just over a month from when I placed my first order to when I finally got it all built and running. Almost a year to tonight as a matter of fact. I started two weeks before my birthday and had it finished two weeks after.

These are my specs.

i7-7700k 4.5 ghz

MSI Z270 GAMING M7 motherboard

MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8GB DDR5x

32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Series 3000 mhz RAM

Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD

Two Seagate 2TB Firecuda SSHD

Pioneer 16x BDR (Bluray burner)

EVGA Supernova 1000w 80 Plus Gold PSU

Corsair Hydro Series H115i Liquid cooler

Corsair Graphite Series T760 Full Tower case

Windows XP                              Just kidding!

Well, I hope your next rig gets you everything you want and the vid cards are flowing like water at good prices.

Mord.

1 hour ago, Mord said:

LOL. That whole build was a horror show. It started with getting it all put together and I had a bad water cooler. Replaced that and got everything up and running and started dling my Steam library. Went to work for about four hours, came back and it was dead. I spent a couple of days trouble shooting everything. I ended up back on Amazon reading some reviews on the FTW card and decided to read all the bad ones. I hadn't bothered before because of how ungodly good all the Youtube reviews and benchmarks had been. That's when I found out about it frying motherboards and catching fire. One guy had a pic of where it caught fire and scorched his comp. I concluded through all my other tests that it had to be what happened. I couldn't get a post. I don't think I even had lights.

Yes, go with Amazon next time if you have them there. Their return policy is unmatched. My only screw up was that after I printed out the return labels (that they sent me) I scheduled a pick up with UPS. It took about ten days to get my refund. However, if I had taken the packages to a UPS shipper I wouldn've gotten a refund immediately after they scanned in the boxes. That's what happened when I returned the Titanium board. But that time spent waiting on my money allowed me a bunch of extra research time. I was all ready as soon as the money was back in my account. That's when the RAM jumped 30 bucks.

Yea sounds like a horror show, good to hear you got what you wanted in the end. Youtube is great, has saved my ass quite a few times, i learnt how to fix my fridge watching a utube vid, i did have to buy a replacement part but without utube i wouldn't have known how to diagnose the prob or even fit the part.  Amazon only started here in in the last year or so i think, it doesn't have the same amount of goods for sale as Amazon.com or UK but it's growing. Actually i did buy the Maximus Hero VII from amazon.com i got it shipped through our Australian Post system as the seller didn't directly ship to Australia. Our postal system offers a service to overcome this by providing Australian customers with a US address which is basically a warehouse/office where goods are received and the sent on to Australia which was great for me as i couldn't find a "new" mid to high end m/board for sale in australia as all the retailers had moved on from the Haswell architecture, didn't mind paying the extra shipping costs either lol. I still check out Amazon US especially during your "Black friday" sales which has caught on here now. Since then i've found a really good Pc shop in the city which has quite good prices, i bought a Samsung Evo 860 500 Gb SSD and a Samsung 250 Gb M.2 SSD from them which i initially considered getting from Amazon but the PC shop was cheaper.

What do you think of your Firecuda SSHDs? am interested to know how they perform in the real world? Windows Xp huh whats wrong with XP, lol just kidding, i actually run XP as a VM but it's not quite the same, more of an emulator, so glad i didn't throw out my old Dell desktop it's so old i don't remember the model lol. Nice to give yourself a decent gift every now and then you must be pretty happy with your rig.

Edited by Digger_au
extra

9 hours ago, Digger_au said:

Youtube is great, has saved my ass quite a few times, i learnt how to fix my fridge watching a utube vid, i did have to buy a replacement part but without utube i wouldn't have known how to diagnose the prob or even fit the part. 

It's incredible when used as a force for good LOL. I believe it's one of the top internet inventions of all time. It boggles the mind that you can sit for hours and hours watching videos on specific topics that no network or even on demand cable provider would even consider airing. Youtube has completely removed the middle man that stood between content creation and viewer. Any dude/dudette with nothing more than a lap top and a video camera/phone now has the power of a multi-million dollar corporation. There's never been a time in human entertainment (or knowledge) history like we are living in right now. Most people born after 95 will never understand how fortunate they are and how amazing it all is.

10 hours ago, Digger_au said:

I still check out Amazon US especially during your "Black friday" sales which has caught on here now. Since then i've found a really good Pc shop in the city which has quite good prices, i bought a Samsung Evo 860 500 Gb SSD and a Samsung 250 Gb M.2 SSD from them which i initially considered getting from Amazon but the PC shop was cheaper.

That's good that you are getting a few more choices. Always nice to have a local place you can run to especially when it's an emergency.

10 hours ago, Digger_au said:

What do you think of your Firecuda SSHDs? am interested to know how they perform in the real world?

I really like them. They were a nice compromise between the outrageously priced SSDs (over a grand at 1TB back then I believe) and regular HDs. They are quicker than a regular HD,  and I got them for $99.00 a piece which was sweet compared to SSDs. I put Win 10 on my SSD and use one 'Cuda for gaming and the other for videos and music.

Here's a really geeky tech review on them if you are interested. I believe I used this back when I was researching.

I fought as long as I could before I finally gave up XP. Funny thing is I was the same way with Win98. There was no in between, I went from 98 straight to XP then to 8 and 10. I am a stubborn, creature of habit.

And yes, I am very happy with the build. It was worth the pain and frustration. After having gotten every computer I ever owned either from a box store or (on one occasion) used, it was the first time I ever had something where I never even bothered to look at recommended specs if I wanted a game. I knew right out of the gate it would take the game and slap it sideways. I max everything and still slay the frames. If I have my way I'll never buy a pre-built again in my life. I know what's in the comp, when it was purchased, when it was installed etc.

Mord.

7 hours ago, Mord said:

It's incredible when used as a force for good LOL. I believe it's one of the top internet inventions of all time. It boggles the mind that you can sit for hours and hours watching videos on specific topics that no network or even on demand cable provider would even consider airing. Youtube has completely removed the middle man that stood between content creation and viewer. Any dude/dudette with nothing more than a lap top and a video camera/phone now has the power of a multi-million dollar corporation. There's never been a time in human entertainment (or knowledge) history like we are living in right now. Most people born after 95 will never understand how fortunate they are and how amazing it all is.

That's good that you are getting a few more choices. Always nice to have a local place you can run to especially when it's an emergency.

I really like them. They were a nice compromise between the outrageously priced SSDs (over a grand at 1TB back then I believe) and regular HDs. They are quicker than a regular HD,  and I got them for $99.00 a piece which was sweet compared to SSDs. I put Win 10 on my SSD and use one 'Cuda for gaming and the other for videos and music.

Here's a really geeky tech review on them if you are interested. I believe I used this back when I was researching.

I fought as long as I could before I finally gave up XP. Funny thing is I was the same way with Win98. There was no in between, I went from 98 straight to XP then to 8 and 10. I am a stubborn, creature of habit.

And yes, I am very happy with the build. It was worth the pain and frustration. After having gotten every computer I ever owned either from a box store or (on one occasion) used, it was the first time I ever had something where I never even bothered to look at recommended specs if I wanted a game. I knew right out of the gate it would take the game and slap it sideways. I max everything and still slay the frames. If I have my way I'll never buy a pre-built again in my life. I know what's in the comp, when it was purchased, when it was installed etc.

Mord.

The added feeling of satisfaction of building your own rig is a nice bonus too. Thanks for the vid, i watched this one just a few days ago, looking at replacing my last mechanical drive with one of these light weight babies. Cheers mate

Well, the one real world piece of evidence/advice I can provide (that I forgot to mention) that is pertinent to CM is that the Firecuda is lightening fast after the second start, which is huge when I mod. A cold boot of CM can be almost 30 seconds for me depending on how many mods I have loaded. The second however, about four seconds! I don't notice that so much with other games because I rarely start, stop and restart like with CM but the drive is supposed to get faster and faster as you log out and log back on, which from what I have read can increase up to X5 the original boot speed. So, I do recommend it if you want to get one.

Mord.

Edited by Mord