The Truelife* Mode PBEM DAR

Afrsx8Q.jpg

Using my sweet Photoshop skills, you can see my basic plan. I planned to take companies of infantry, C company on the Left represented by the Green arrow and D company on the Right, represented by the Blue arrow. The Red arrow in the centre is where the AFV's will be travelling. I plan to seize the church to use as an observation post and possible strong point. Once I have cleared the right side of the map, including the church and surrounding buildings I will wheel left and attempt to push as far through the town as possible. The AFV's are in the middle to help the first company to come into enemy contact. LnUA87D.jpg

Each motorized rifle company comes with three platoons of three sections of 9 men, and one 2 inch mortar per platoon. Each Platoon also has one section with a PIAT. When I chose the men, I left selected all my men and vehicles as regular, with high motivation and left the leadership settings at Typical.

WnqwyLW.jpg

Each Rifle company also came with two tubes of 81mm mortars in carriers. They have 58 rounds of HE per tube and 8 smoke rounds. 

ENDjtTg.jpg

These are my AFV's, 9 Bren carriers, 4 Staghounds, 3 Daimler II and 2 Humber IV. While we had agreed to only take AFV's with two rubber wheels, RH made an exception for the little Bren carrier, if I win this battle, he will claim I cheated and take the victory by default. All of the AFVs are split fairly even into two platoons, one under each company. They will be working in close proximity to each other and should be able to help spread communication through all my ranks. 

The Bren carriers are part of the scout platoon of the Recce Regiment, so they came with a 2 inch mortar and rounds. There is a know, documented and hopefully fixed in the upcoming patch, issue with these mortars. The scouts can acquire them, but then they are not able to use them. To avoid this problem, I unloaded all my scouts and gave the rounds to the platoon level mortars. They started the battle of with 9 HE and 9 WP rounds. They now have 26 HE and 13 WP each. Each company then has 78 HE rounds and 39 WP rounds for the 2 inch mortars and 116 HE rounds and 16 smoke rounds for the 81mm mortars.

You have probably noticed I did not take any independent machine gun teams. Each Bren carrier has 2000 rounds for their Brens, the Staghounds have 7000 rounds for their mg's and the Daimler and Humbers are also carrying 2-3000 rounds of mg ammo. My plan is to use them as mobile mg's and other than the Brens, they have the bonus of their main guns to help clear out any serious opposition and any enemy AFV. The Staghounds have a 37 mm main gun, while the Daimler and Humbers come with a 40 mm gun. Gunners in Bren carriers seem to be quite well protected, hopefully a little better than the German halftrack gunners will be!

0zFrSP2.jpg

Here are my orders for turn one. The 81mm mortars and Company HQ's will remain stationary, everyone else is heading out to find RH and his men.

IDV3Rpp.jpg

As a surprise for RH, I have hired some special janitors for the church. These two Brens will be heading on FAST for the church. There are two Crack Scout teams, 2 Elite sniper teams. The sniper teams will be given orders to climb the steeple and get eyes across the map while the scouts will take the lower floors to provide some cover. No, that is not a spare tire for the Bren carrier but rather an Elite flamethrower team, nicknamed The Preacher. I hope to have The Preacher in the church before RH shows up and he can rain down fire and brimstone from the pulpit onto RH's men! 

Turn 2:

On the left, C company continues to take up positions, no enemy seen. On the right the story is completely different.

C5lhy7O.jpg

First Carrier with the scouts, rounds the corner and speeds off to the church. Enemy halftrack in the distance!

uJ97KFK.jpg

Second Carrier with the snipers and the Preacher reach the corner and begin to turn just before the clock runs out. 

ozBrSZr.jpg

They don't make it. 20 mm autocannon fire rings out and the Preacher goes up in flames. All the snipers make it out alive, several with severe burns. They are given orders to double time it to the church and hopefully safety.

J2Gt5hf.jpg

Overview of the battle just before the preacher goes up in flames.

I am going to change the numbering here for the turns, this would be turn 3 but minute 1:58-1:57.

On the left, nothing to report. Troops still moving into positions and advancing into the town. On the right, the action continues to heat up. The scouts in the church see some men running into the small house just past the church.1ejlaUU.jpg

They open fire and one man drops. Let's hope it was the squad leader, but if your games play out like mine, the scouts hit the least important man in the team.07HBrjp.jpg

The snipers from the burning carrier sprint into the church while the scouts continue to blast away at the incoming German infantry. Another man goes down and other turn tail and flee for cover.

ooUd08P.jpg

As the snipers start to climb the tower, more Germans spring into view. Looks like RH has sent at least one mounted platoon, with support, to attack the church. i0lpUKN.jpg

A closer up look at the halftracks in the rear. One is firing away at my men. Note the puff of smoke yet lack of tracer fire. 7UcjMux.jpg

As the turn ends a new threat rumbles into view. Stummel! RchRw4a.jpg

Orders for this turn include continuing to move C Company into town in small bounds, always trying to keep a few men stationary in overwatch positions. While cycling through the C company platoons, it turns out they can spot the halftracks in the objective zone. One two inch mortar is given orders to open fire. The AFV's up the center are starting to spread out, two Staghounds are using the buildings for cover and slowly moving forward to try and spot the enemy halftracks. One of the scout teams is given a face command to view the enemy side of the church. One D company platoon is spreading out into the buildings to the right of the church, hoping to gain some spots on the enemy. A second D company platoon is advancing to the houses on the flank of the church. 

Ok, HT, "SEND MORE BRAINS"...err, I mean send another update with pics...Sorry, don't mean to rush you, but this DAR is getting more interesting :)

Now, you know what must be done...Send the Rug-Rats to bed, kiss the Wifey good nite, then head back down to your Gaming Parlor/Man-Cave for a couple hours to finish-up and post another DAR turn...I want no less then 2-3 DAR turns per Week...And, don't give me any of that "Real Life Issues Come First", Crap...Capisce ;)

Edited by JoMc67

1 hour ago, JoMc67 said:

Ok, HT, "SEND MORE BRAINS"...err, I mean send another update with pics...Sorry, don't mean to rush you, but this DAR is getting more interesting :)

Now, you know what must be done...Send the Rug-Rats to bed, kiss the Wifey good nite, then head back down to your Gaming Parlor/Man-Cave for a couple hours to finish-up and post another DAR turn...I want no less then 2-3 DAR turns per Week...And, don't give me any of that "Real Life Issues Come First", Crap...Capisce ;)

Busy week Joe, but I can post one up tonight!

Minute 1:57-1:56

We will start on the left with C Company as it has been a while since their positions have been updated. The platoons have been moving in leap frog, one moving, the other two in over watch. They are almost to the edge of the objective, near the middle of town. A few more bounds and they should be on the objective. They have some contacts on the right side of the map, but still nothing ahead of them. They will continue this same movement until they secure the first line of buildings in the objective or make contact with RH's men.

YQlSofp.jpg

Back to the church. The scouts I gave a face order to last turn decided they would sprint out of the tower, into the main part of the church and go all the way to the far end of the building. Before they even make it to the end, incoming fire first drops one mancpE4Vrq.jpg

and less than three seconds later anotheruphFDcA.jpg

That did not go as planned. Who is to blame for their deaths? Some PanzerGrenadiers! Note the snipers in the bell tower come under some sort of HE fire this turn, somehow RH has seen them moving up the tower. In the background, some men from D Company are rounding the corner of a house and making their way to the church.

q8FZPIZ.jpg

The men from D company get close but those PzG nail another one of my men0Ye46x2.jpg

He must have been the best friend to every man in the squad as a few seconds later, his squad mates turn tail and run away. Their fellow platoon mates and the remaining scout, pour fire onto the heads of the PzG, and while I see no one drop, one man appears to be starting to run away. Have I broken their will to fight??

8JY1CjP.jpg

Near the end of the minute, one of my Daimlers gets a bead on a fully loaded halftrack! HA HA revenge is ourshH27Ufo.jpg

Except instead of hitting anything important or the passenger compartment, my gunner decided a road wheel needed a hole... I hope he gets a chance to fire again. This image also shows what appears to be a 20mm cannon halftrack. Could this be the one who killed the Preacher? Whoever he is, he draws a bead on a passing Daimler, takes aim and hits, killing the driver. The crew bail and run away.0oRZfxB.jpg

Here is an overview of the positions of my men at the end of the turn.

DD7YpQK.jpg

I have taken a close up view of where I have seen RH's men so far. The buildings circled in red have had some infantry spotted running into them.cwyCIwL.jpg

My analysis at this point of the battle leads me to believe I have found the one of RH's companies as well as some of his support vehicles. I have counted at least 6 halftracks including two support versions. While I have some solid contacts, like the fully loaded halftracks, others have been only a single man spotted here or there. I feel confident still with my plan laid out at the start of the battle, but I have more questions than answers.

Where are the rest of his men? Are they with this company and I have not yet seen them? Could they be just out of sight and next turn come rolling into view decimating my men? Or did RH split his forces into two battle groups and his other half is just infantry working their way in on the other flank of the map? Should I push in hard with my AFV's and another platoon of men from C company and attempt to crush his men by the church right away? If I do, will I leave my flanks exposed and potentially walk straight in to a trap? The answers to these questions and more in the next post.

For those keeping score at home, at this point in the battle I have lost a complete flamethrower team, a Bren carrier, three infantry and one driver. To my eyes, I have taken out three of his men and one wheel. I will need to see if I can make a blood board to keep track of the losses and will start to post it up with each turn. 

Looking Good, HT...As a change of Pace, there are many times I prefer watching an DAR/AAR, then actually playing the Game.

Only Suggestions for taking esthetic looking Pics...Turn off Objectives (turn on once every 5 minutes to update/refresh the Forumites), Turn off Landmarks, Turn off Hit Locations.

Edited by JoMc67

On 2/28/2019 at 6:30 PM, JoMc67 said:

Looking Good, HT...As a change of Pace, there are many times I prefer watching an DAR/AAR, then actually playing the Game.

Only Suggestions for taking esthetic looking Pics...Turn off Objectives (turn on once every 5 minutes to update/refresh the Forumites), Turn off Landmarks, Turn off Hit Locations.

I will be doing this for the screenshots I have yet to take. But in the meantime....

RH has been asking lots of questions about how this DAR is going and I have been bugging him about starting up one from his side of the map. He has indicated he is going to be starting one soon so I had better maintain my lead on him!

I left things with a question about what is happening and my next plans. I decided to stick with the plan and here is how things turned out. This turn will focus once again D Company as all the action seems to be happening in their sector.

Turn 1:56-1:55

Well, it looks like I missed some signs but RH has at least one more Stummel. qA8No2W.jpg

This Stummel begins to fire on my men supporting the action at the church.Cv22Vso.jpg

Soon it has caused enough damage to knock down a wall and send my men fleeing for safer cover.9MTBbD4.jpg

Over at the church there is a battle between a Staghound and the 20mm auto cannon halftrack. First, the halftrack shot in the wheels last turn takes some incoming rifle fire and reverses to safety. 

YX9cruI.jpg

The sniper in the tower draws a bead, exposing his location to RH's men. It doesn't end well. A Staghound supporting D Company soon spots a 20 mm AC halftrack.bQdygkz.jpg

The Staghound crew opens fire with their MG's while the main gun takes careful aim. The 20mm AC is reversing out of trouble, hopefully he will be unaware of the danger he is in.P7LRlsw.jpg

Uh oh, looks like that cannon is starting to draw a bead on the Staghound. He is reversing at full speed so any shots should be hasty and off target right? The Staghound takes careful aim and fires!

YdZRUWA.jpg

A clean hit! It misses everything important and the 20mm AC is able to return fire.n1uPIQq.jpg

Not just return fire, but fire accurately, while reversing, just after taking solid hit to halftrack. Can the battle luck be any worse?? If you look closely there are two holes in the Staghound, one of which killed the driver.

6994iZe.jpg

Not only does the 20mm AC halftrack take a hit and kill my Staghound driver while reversing, somehow while all that is going on, he manages to spot the sniper in the church tower as well takes him and the spotter out with a perfectly aimed shot. QJmvRAs.jpg

D Company catches no luck this turn. While sitting in over watch of two Staghounds, 3 section of 13 Platoon come under heavy HE fire. Two shots later they have lost 4 of the 7 men in the section.

1NMdn1a.jpg

Where did that come from?? The only clue is this cloud of dust.

hj2qQwu.jpg

As the men flee cover, the cloud of dust is revealed to be yet another Stummel. But how did he manage to see my men in the house from so far away and through such thick cover? Here is an un-zoomed in view from the Stummel's position. See anything?

QPuK15Y.jpg

Me neither. But on max zoom, ah there they are. RH's men have eagle eyes!

EtTJkFQ.jpg

The second shot makes it mark and leaves me with yet another letter to write home.

97a455m.jpg

The turn ends with even more good news for the men of D Company. As if three Stummels isn't bad enough, another 20mm AC halftrack is spotted at turns end. My gunners have yet to take out one of his halftracks and now there are two of the most lethal ones seen yet in this battle. Just great news.

Kjjtl2j.jpg

In discussion via PM with RH, we have decided to call this little house by the church, where I managed to score one lucky shot earlier in the battle, Sexton's House. Again at the end of the turn, these men pop into view. Note the marksman in house in the background. He appears to be taking aim at someone, but who?

8vsGjaf.jpg

11 hours ago, Heirloom_Tomato said:

Not only does the 20mm AC halftrack take a hit and kill my Staghound driver while reversing, somehow while all that is going on, he manages to spot the sniper in the church tower as well takes him and the spotter out with a perfectly aimed shot. 

After the battle it would be interesting to know the soft factors of the 20mm AC halftrack.  Is it luck, a really good crew or maybe both?  Nice AAR. 

Yeah, I'm afraid to say it, but I still think using Vet/Crack and along with High Motivation/and Leadership (or whatever High quality units both sides tend to purchase) in CM tends to make things happen too fast and too accurate.

This is why I just generalize all Units and tell Opponents in my QB's to only use Green (as the basis for quality) with Low or High Motivation/Leadership Soft Factors (depending if actually Inf, Para, Ranger, SS, etc)...ex; U.S. Para would be Green, High Motivation, +1 Leadership. A standard German Field Div would be Green, Normal Motivation, 0 Leadership, etc (2nd Rate Germ Div would be Green, Low Motivation, -1 Leadership)...I also tend to give HQ's one higher Leadership.

Anyways, something along those lines as it tends to help the too fast too accurate syndrome a little...

2 hours ago, JoMc67 said:

.ex; U.S. Para would be Green, High Motivation, +1 Leadership. A standard German Field Div would be Green, Normal Motivation, 0 Leadership, etc (2nd Rate Germ Div would be Green, Low Motivation, -1 Leadership)...

Interesting.  I may try this.

1 hour ago, JoMc67 said:

I also wonder if HT & RH are allowing Units to fire against enemy Units/Icons they can't see ?

I'm not sure.  I did a quick scan of the beginning of this thread and didn't notice any rules on this.  However, they are playing with enemy icons off.  I think this also means enemy tentative contact icons are off.  I'm not seeing tentative contact icons in the screenshots.  So if they are doing recon by fire it is really recon by fire. :D

Edited by MOS:96B2P

3 hours ago, JoMc67 said:

I also wonder if HT & RH are allowing Units to fire against enemy Units/Icons they can't see ?

We are playing with no enemy icons at all visible. No spotting contacts, no sound contacts, no spotted contacts. The only enemy units I know about, are the ones currently being spotted and those where I remember spotting them in a previous turn.

Any area fire happening is either completely blind or onto a location I have seen enemy troops in. As for giving my men target commands, to this point in the battle the only target orders I have given are to the 2 inch mortars. Every other unit has been engaging on its own. I have also not given any target arcs to any of my men. In a normal battle this might seem like a bad idea, in this battle I need my men to start shooting so I know they can actually see something. The next turn has a clear example of this. I am working on the screenshots now.

1 hour ago, Heirloom_Tomato said:

We are playing with no enemy icons at all visible. No spotting contacts, no sound contacts, no spotted contacts. The only enemy units I know about, are the ones currently being spotted and those where I remember spotting them in a previous turn.

Any area fire happening is either completely blind or onto a location I have seen enemy troops in. As for giving my men target commands, to this point in the battle the only target orders I have given are to the 2 inch mortars. Every other unit has been engaging on its own. I have also not given any target arcs to any of my men. In a normal battle this might seem like a bad idea, in this battle I need my men to start shooting so I know they can actually see something. The next turn has a clear example of this. I am working on the screenshots now.

Ahh...That's right, and you did mention it in one of your first posts...Ok, and all is Good :-)

Edited by JoMc67