SlowMotion

Rafael's idea of future armored vehicles

What is amusing is that the logical next step is make it basically a computer "game" and have the operators in a home base operating an AFV drone in exactly the same manner.  Why have any crew in the vehicle at all?   Taking out life support etc would save a huge amount of space, make the AFV smaller, and much cheaper.  Just as with aircraft drones.

3 hours ago, Erwin said:

What is amusing is that the logical next step is make it basically a computer "game" and have the operators in a home base operating an AFV drone in exactly the same manner.

I found it amusing that they ARE playing a computer game on those monitors of theirs. That game is called Arma, the map they're playing on is Takistan. At 1:47, it actually says Takistan, a fictional video game country, on their "GPS".

Frankly, I can't take this seriously. I always had respect for Rafael as a company, and hardly expected this sort of antics. Worst part, is that this is the second time they're trying to sell a video game IFV. Why doesn't someone try selling a AT-ST walker from Star Wars at one of these expositions? It has as much relation to realty as this:

LOL - good catch DerKom.  I didn't even notice it was ARMA.   What a con job!  <_<     It would be great to see a contractor try and sell something out of StarWars hehe...

Love the IED WARNING" light.  AND the "IED NEUTRALIZE" button.   Why didn't we do that in Iraq!??

Wish I had the resources to do a spoof contractor ad like that.

Edited by Erwin

It's the whole nonsense of using a computer game to sell a serious product to DoD's around the world that is hilarious.  It's really an ad for sitting at home and playing with your tank remotely - just like with a drone.  Think of the research going on re driverless vehicles combined with this.  That's more where the market is than for commercial vehicles on our streets.  I was in Tempe, AZ for a while and the streets were flooded with UBER self-driving cars being tested (and getting in every other human driver's way).  Then UBER killed a pedestrian and they vanished from the streets. 

Erwin, nowadays "computer games", a "tactical simulation" in fact, are sold and used as a serious training tool, nothing phony there. Just Google it or something. ;)

2 hours ago, CMFDR said:

@DerKommissar it's VBS3, the pro version of ArmA3, a training platform actually used by several agencies around the world.

I believe it's actually a pro version of Arma 2 (Arma 3 was made for filthy casuals). It still gives an armaholic blue balls. It looks like what Arma 3 /should/ have been:

I still think this vehicle is vaporware. All I saw in the video is some dudes playing VBS on a cool gaming set-up. It's also poor form when VBS looks better than the animation made for the demo. To boot, this concept is 2 years old and I do not see any real progress in implementation.

Is Rafael going to be making Arma mods, now? Maybe they should get the RHS guys to help out with IFV development.

All this being said, it is an interesting case study. What do manufacturers THINK MoDs want? An Armata-like IFV, from the looks of it.

17 hours ago, CMFDR said:

Erwin, nowadays "computer games", a "tactical simulation" in fact, are sold and used as a serious training tool, nothing phony there. Just Google it or something. ;)

I understand that CMFDR.  The point that is funny is that they are trying to sell a multi-zillion dollar real world weapons platform using ARMA.   The logical extension is to use ARMA as the basis for semi-autonomous AFV's.  Which is a good idea.  So the ARMA developers should get together with UBER or Alphabet and sell that idea themselves and cut Rafael out lol. 

Edited by Erwin