Assault Boats?

I haven't seen this feature addressed in the threads over the years, excuse if I've missed it...

One feature I really miss from CMx1 are the assault boats that were in CMBB for crossing rivers; I had some great river crossing battles back in the day.  AFAIK they are not available in any of the CMx2 games, any chance they will make a reappearance?

1 hour ago, 76mm said:

I haven't seen this feature addressed in the threads over the years, excuse if I've missed it...

One feature I really miss from CMx1 are the assault boats that were in CMBB for crossing rivers; I had some great river crossing battles back in the day.  AFAIK they are not available in any of the CMx2 games, any chance they will make a reappearance?

Hopefully we will see the inclusion of the Buffalo amphibious vehicle in the Commonwealth Bundle for CMFB since they were in integral part of the Battle of the Scheldt. If they make an appearance, it may be possible we would see the Schwimmwagen,for @kohlenklau, make its way into CMRT. All we need then is for someone with sweet modding skills to make one look like an assault boat.

Edited by Heirloom_Tomato

8 hours ago, sburke said:

It would require quite a bit from BF in terms of animations etc.  Seems like a bridge too far for too few use cases.

Yeah, I guess, although we wouldn't need animations of frantic paddling, I'd be happy if they sat placidly in the boats during the crossing.

As to too few use cases--not sure about that...  There were lots of cross-river attacks, including on the eastern front, although the Russians were as likely to use crude rafts or even logs as assault boats.  But some way of crossing rivers other than on bridges would open up lots of new scenarios.

Personally I would much rather have features which allow different types of scenarios (partisans, assault boats) rather umpteen variations of the Pzkw IV or a bunch of oddball vehicles, for instance.

11 hours ago, Heirloom_Tomato said:

it may be possible we would see the Schwimmwagen,for @kohlenklau, make its way into CMRT. All we need then is for someone with sweet modding skills to make one look like an assault boat.

+1  This is an interesting idea and may be the closest we get to assault boats.  Then with the red vs red in the editor the Soviets could also use them.    

30 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:
11 hours ago, Heirloom_Tomato said:

it may be possible we would see the Schwimmwagen,for @kohlenklau, make its way into CMRT. All we need then is for someone with sweet modding skills to make one look like an assault boat.

+1  This is an interesting idea and may be the closest we get to assault boats.  Then with the red vs red in the editor the Soviets could also use them.   

I don't think modders are able to change the vehicle model though. So the assault boats would look like Schwimmwägen

Edited by Bulletpoint

35 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

I don't think modders are able to change the vehicle model though. So the assault boats would look like Schwimmwägen

Hm, in his Malta mod, @kohlenklau used a Pz IV, to simulate a captured T34. I.e., used the Pz IV stats and model and „threw“ T34 bmps over it.

The result looked great (and like a T34), but it behaved like a Pz IV. Don‘t know, if there is much of a difference.

1 minute ago, StieliAlpha said:
42 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Hm, in his Malta mod, @kohlenklau used a Pz IV, to simulate a captured T34. I.e., used the Pz IV stats and model and „threw“ T34 bmps over it.

The result looked great (and like a T34), but it behaved like a Pz IV. Don‘t know, if there is much of a difference.

I think the point is that modders can switch one game model for another game model, but they can't introduce new models to the mix. So you could make the Schwimmwagen look like a bunker or a tank, but it would not really improve much :)

Just now, Bulletpoint said:

I think the point is that modders can switch one game model for another game model, but they can't introduce new models to the mix. So you could make the Schwimmwagen look like a bunker or a tank, but it would not really improve much :)

Well, the „bunker“ could move. And swim. THAT would be a sight! 😎

2 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

On the serious side, I tried to say: One could take a comparable model and change the looks into what you need. Not perfect, but better than nothing.

10 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

You mean like a halftrack maybe? Could sort of look like an assault boat..

Yep, but then you have an assault boat with invisible light armour and tracks to travel over land.

But scenario design wise, the armour may be ok. And, of course, the owner should be fair enough to leave the assault boat on the far side of the river and not travel Inland.

Edited by StieliAlpha

3 minutes ago, StieliAlpha said:
10 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

You mean like a halftrack maybe? Could sort of look like an assault boat..

Yep, but then you have an assault boat with light armour and tracks to travel over land.

It would still behave like a Schwimmwagen, just look like a halftrack... but yes it would be able to drive on land. It's not a very nice solution, and I would prefer to not play such scenarios, and instead wait for the real deal. 

1 minute ago, Bulletpoint said:

It would still behave like a Schwimmwagen, just look like a halftrack... but yes it would be able to drive on land. It's not a very nice solution, and I would prefer to not play such scenarios, and instead wait for the real deal. 

Or wait until hell freezes. Hm, probably a real choice in Denmark.❄️☃️❄️

7 hours ago, 76mm said:

Yeah, I guess, although we wouldn't need animations of frantic paddling, I'd be happy if they sat placidly in the boats during the crossing.

As to too few use cases--not sure about that...  There were lots of cross-river attacks, including on the eastern front, although the Russians were as likely to use crude rafts or even logs as assault boats.  But some way of crossing rivers other than on bridges would open up lots of new scenarios.

Personally I would much rather have features which allow different types of scenarios (partisans, assault boats) rather umpteen variations of the Pzkw IV or a bunch of oddball vehicles, for instance.

Don't worry, somebody will disagree and claim that it is the worst thing in computer gaming since the start of computer gaming … and of course that opinion will be shared.

15 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:
15 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Or wait until hell freezes. Hm, probably a real choice in Denmark.❄️☃️❄️

Unfortunately not... Well, waiting is. But DK winters are just rain and mud.

In any case, I prefer waiting forever than play scenarios where I have to imagine a Schwimmwagen is a landing craft. Reminds me too much of those tabletop wargames I played as a kid, where I didn't have money for all the stuff and then just pretended a bottle cork was a tank, a book was a hill, etc.

On 2/11/2019 at 3:47 AM, sburke said:

one never knows, but at the moment not expecting it.  It would require quite a bit from BF in terms of animations etc.  Seems like a bridge too far for too few use cases.

I think it's very mean of everyone so far not to compliment you on your choice of metaphor ... 😂

10 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Unfortunately not... Well, waiting is. But DK winters are just rain and mud.

In any case, I prefer waiting forever than play scenarios where I have to imagine a Schwimmwagen is a landing craft. Reminds me too much of those tabletop wargames I played as a kid, where I didn't have money for all the stuff and then just pretended a bottle cork was a tank, a book was a hill, etc.

BTW: Look at this beautiful Pz IV: http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/retiring2texas/media/Beutepanzer3_zpsbdoln0se.jpg.html

And search the Forum for „Operation Hercules“ for more detail.

5 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

Looks like a T-34 in Wehrmacht colors to me.

:huh:

Michael

Yes, that refers to my earlier posts.

@kohlenklau created this T34 for his CMFI Malta mod and CmPzC campaign „Operation Hercules“.

Since there are no T34‘s in FI, he used the Pz IV model and gave it T34 skins. The result was pretty convincing.

My ideas was, that something similar could be done, to „simulate“ landing craft.