Accuracy of Artillery Barrage Is Way Off

I am currently playing a scenario by PBEM, Attack on Verriers Ridge as the Canadians.  With 24 minutes left, I called for an artillery barrage by off map artillery and there was a 14 minute delay.  The fire order was a point barrage.  When the barrage took place it was not landing even remotely close to the target yet my spotting unit maintained line of sight throughout.  The target was an 88 on top of the ridge and I was wondering if maybe when I indicated the point that it actually went over the ridge?  I have never seen a point barrage so wildly inaccurate.

Well, there are a large number of factors at play.

The skill of the battery crews, the skill of the spotter, the wind factor, wether you called an Emergency mission, etc... WW2 fire missions are never going to be really accurate. 

Since your mission-call delay was so large, I assumed you called some rather heavy guns, and those are never going to be as accurate as your friendly neighborhood mortars as they are probably situated quite far away from the game map.

I have had some of these wildly inaccurate barrages happen from to time and usually it was because I ordered a barrage on a spot that the FO couldn't see properly. But by hovering the mouse on every single pixel in the area, you find one where the FO has a LOS and you go : AHA!

So just a wild guess but I think they happen because the FO can't see the spotting rounds.

The barrage was the most inaccurate I have had playing CMBN and I have been playing the Combat Mission series for 20 years.  Throughout the time I called the barrage to when shells first started landing, there was a green line when I clicked on the spotter which was an HQ,   to the target.  Anyway, just curious and I have an on map mortar scheduled to hit the same 88 in the next minute so it will be interesting to see how accurate it is.  The spotter is another HQ.  Maybe forward observer units are the most accurate?

When you select the unit calling the in the fire, what colour is the dot in the artillery panel? If it is any colour other than green, it indicates a poor line of communication between the spotter and the artillery. The colours are light green, dark green, yellow, orange and red. Light green has the best communications and red the worst. Obviously, the worse the communications, the poorer the results you will see in game.

pzROG5S.jpg

This can happen to if the first spotting round lands and the caller cannot see where it landed. In other words ideally your caller needs good visibility of the call area and some area around it. If you get unlucky and the spotting rounds keep falling outside the caller's visibility eventually you will end up here (yeah instead of cancelling). In these cases you can cancel the call and try again or move the caller so they can see where the spotting rounds are falling.