is it just me or is cmfb freakin hard

1 hour ago, grungar said:

hi guys I find cmfb to be very difficult. am I the only one to think so? the scenarios are brilliantly made but seem made for advance players or playing with spoilers..i only play on iron if that really means anything. good hunting.

I also only play on Iron and in general I don't think CMFB is hard.  However, there are many different scenarios and of course some are harder than others.  There is also a learning curve with all the CM titles.  If you are having trouble with anything specific you should post the problem here in the forums.  Other players would enjoy assisting and all the lurkers that read but don't post might also gain some new tactical ideas :).       

3 minutes ago, Artkin said:

What about ORSHA though man u caNt just dismiss the god of all CM maps

I'm not dismissing any of them, having made a couple of my own I've got far to much appreciation for the effort involved to do that. 

But there's something about the CM:FB maps that really does it for me.....I'm using several of them in CM:BS.

PS - Iron only here too.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

I find all cm to be hard but it seems like cmfb is special (I don't own cmsf yet:( ) the only scenarios that really bother me are enfilade maps and setups. or the kind that grind me up fighting a company screen only to find the company all concentrated where my beet up boys have to go :D as far as the maps you folk bring up I like ben parks road to minsk huge map...

2 hours ago, Artkin said:

What about ORSHA though man u caNt just dismiss the god of all CM maps

It's OK, I made a number of the FB maps as well. As did Pete. It's been steady since MG, with the giant map inclusion starting at that time.

And yes, FB is pretty hard. The terrain was miserable. But it is still one of my favorite titles to play.

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

Don't forget you can (usually) play either side. Perhaps you are subconsciously selecting the most difficult side to play of each scenario ;)

I usually pic attacker against ai. and most often its the recommended side :D I save the others for h2h and besides I like to attack in this game because its so hard for me. if I have a really rough go it says something about the design. other players might find it doable but challenging so I don't complain about balance. from reading field manuals compartmented terrain favors defense and cmfb features that without bocage helping it :P 

I have to say I agree about the maps, some of the best in the series.

About CMFB's difficulty, well, I suppose it may have something to do with the setting. After all, you have all the deadliness of later-war equipment : King Tigers, up-gunned Shermans, American infantry with additional automatic weapons, plenty of Stg44's, more panzerfausts than you know how to use! Then you also have the setting of the battles : unprepared allied units, desperate counter-attacks, depleted German units relying on a mix of veterans and green recruits...

A far cry from CMFI's mix of ridiculously under-equipped Italians and mid-war allies and Germans.

Edited by Xorg_Xalargsky

3 hours ago, Xorg_Xalargsky said:

I have to say I agree about the maps, some of the best in the series.

About CMFB's difficulty, well, I suppose it may have something to do with the setting. After all, you have all the deadliness of later-war equipment : King Tigers, up-gunned Shermans, American infantry with additional automatic weapons, plenty of Stg44's, more panzerfausts than you know how to use! Then you also have the setting of the battles : unprepared allied units, desperate counter-attacks, depleted German units relying on a mix of veterans and green recruits...

A far cry from CMFI's mix of ridiculously under-equipped Italians and mid-war allies and Germans.

one of my jumbos got toasted after pumping some 30 rounds with 4 afv into a brick building with fanatic ss (could not even suppress them they just died) I drove one into range of  a pf and that was it. I was not able to oust them until the building collapsed. a local problem causing a total mess with another local problem right behind in ambush. was a fun whooping though.  

I did the first Aachen scenario...was kinda fun 😛 I used the map's intricacy to infiltrate the entire ranger company across one avenue right where that accursed stug could see into the administration building. I killed the stug with a helcat by chance. it fired through a keyhole on the left flank road toasting it. good map ben. the second map looks more daunting.

30 minutes ago, grungar said:

I did the first Aachen scenario...was kinda fun 😛 I used the map's intricacy to infiltrate the entire ranger company across one avenue right where that accursed stug could see into the administration building. I killed the stug with a helcat by chance. it fired through a keyhole on the left flank road toasting it. good map ben. the second map looks more daunting.

The Aachen Campaign is well worth the effort - made by @benpark, one of the awesome map makers on the team. It is the first campaign in CM I have played from start to finish, not only are the maps superb and accurate, the campaign is the right balance of challenge vs playability. From memory, Mission 2 was a cheeky one.

CMFB being more difficult I think also has got something to do with the weapons being used. At the tail end of the war you have a lot of heavy weaponary and and armour options available compared to CMFI and CMBN. Not to mention the prevelance of SMG's and LMG's across some infantry formations.

It's part of the reason I love CM and the much talked about upgrade system. A collection of wargames with a consistent set of rules under the hood allows for the varying terrain and TOE's across the different theatres really shine through for the player. Not to mention how they change over the course of time. Still holding out for early war games for the same reason. You'd be scared of a lone T-34 showing up in 1941 when all you've got are 37mm PAKs. :)

I don't think CMFB is harder than CMBN - they're both hard, but the way they are difficult is very different.

I played CMBN for years and got pretty good with bocage fighting, but I'm still learning new hard lessons when it comes to the more open maps of CMFB. Suddenly range plays a huge role, and it's more about dips and bumps in the ground than about solving 'bocage puzzles'.

3 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

I don't think CMFB is harder than CMBN - they're both hard, but the way they are difficult is very different.

I played CMBN for years and got pretty good with bocage fighting, but I'm still learning new hard lessons when it comes to the more open maps of CMFB. Suddenly range plays a huge role, and it's more about dips and bumps in the ground than about solving 'bocage puzzles'.

sburke is right. they are all hard. vehicles are often severely restricted in fb much like bn but different like. I think its all about designers now that I think about it 😛 what's with the bocage puzzles anyway. this old man cant always see those murder holes.

• 1 month later...
On 2/10/2019 at 10:09 PM, grungar said:

I find all cm to be hard but it seems like cmfb is special (I don't own cmsf yet:( ) the only scenarios that really bother me are enfilade maps and setups. or the kind that grind me up fighting a company screen only to find the company all concentrated where my beet up boys have to go :D as far as the maps you folk bring up I like ben parks road to minsk huge map...

Well, the terrain is difficult, the weather at the time of the year is difficult, the weapons are more deadly than in the earlier games... So, yes, I guess there are some factors to make life difficult.

But than, I hate Panzerschrecks hiding in the Bocage...

This will be a gross over-generalization, but CMFB is different from the other titles in that the bulk of the time Americans are on the defensive against a concerted armor thrust with superior firepower. In CMBN, CMFI, CMSF, CMRT, the allies are (primarily) the ones attacking. Americans in CMFB are in the same position as the Syrians in CMSF.