Blasting and Walls

So I'm playing one of the small USMC scenarios and I'm trying to breach a section of the wall to make entry into a nearby building. Every time I try to use the 'Blast' command, however, the game just puts out a yellow path line like a 'Quick' move command, and the assault team attempts to go around to the entrance on the far side of the compound (where there are sure to be aimed guns, etc...). Is this a bug?

Blast.jpg

I've stopped placing blast waypoints on the far side of the wall. Instead I place the blast waypoint on the same side as the troops one space over. Doing that I've never had the blast command convert to 'quick'. And as an extra bonus, the troops won't blindly run through the gap into the open after the blast.

17 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I've stopped placing blast waypoints on the far side of the wall. Instead I place the blast waypoint on the same side as the troops one space over. Doing that I've never had the blast command convert to 'quick'. And as an extra bonus, the troops won't blindly run through the gap into the open after the blast.

Same here. Mind you, I have needed to convert the odd quick to a blast command using this method. The important point is the team doesn't need to rush through the gap in order to breach.

The other day I was testing this in CMBS and found that if I place a blast command that is only into the next action square it always works as expected. It I make one longer it turns into a quick move. I recommend that you only ever blast one action square away. I also agree with @MikeyD that it is best to blast along the wall so your engineers aren't the assault troops.

13 hours ago, MikeyD said:

That's useful to know.....I wonder if it can be implemented with the AI, using an Assault Order to the same painted location?

AI orders doesn't have a specific 'Blast' command so the trick is getting the AI to understand what it is you want it to do. I did AI plans for one scenario where the attacking units merrily blast walls exactly as expected, I did the same thing to another scenario and they won't blast at all. Its vexing, I can't figure out why one works and the other doesn't.

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Instead I place the blast waypoint on the same side as the troops one space over.

Be aware that this usually works for walls and hedges etc but not always.  I think it depends on the angle that the wall is built relative to the map edges (kind of like roads can be jagged if not placed parallel to the map edge).

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

I did the same thing to another scenario and they won't blast at all. Its vexing, I can't figure out why one works and the other doesn't.

In some fairly recent CM:SF1 experiments I found that Syrian SoF Engineers would only Blast a wall if their platoon HQ was present on the map (regardless of whether he was in the active group).....Why that would be the case I have absolutely no idea.

In CM:A (which is where I discovered the ability of the AI to blast, as demo-charge equipped units are omnipresent among the Uncons), I found that having ONLY demo-charge equipped units in the active group seemed to help.  This certainly helps with the scripting in both CM:A & CM:SF1 (I'm writing some such scripts right now, so if I find any new rules I'll report back).

PS - The base AI order to trigger the behaviour seems to be Assault, I've not tested Max-Assault to see how they behave as I tend not to use that order.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead