Uncons not using ieds or vbieds.

17 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Just to be clear.....Were you controlling the Uncons or were they under AI control?

His OP was the enemy having IEDs.  His second post seems to be tinkering in the editor to see if he can fix it... KUDOS to opening the editor!!! ;)  

@zigzag109  There are some caveats, LOS being the key one and then having the right type of triggerman (cell versus wired etc).  The biggest issue with them and a major reason not to have them in QBs as an enemy as if the placement is wrong they won't do anything.  Only an actual created scenario is going to have a decent chance of setting them correctly.  Next issue is going to be visibility.  IEDs at night are mostly a waste of time.  Abu Susah if I recall correctly is set for like 5am.  It is a difficult scenario for the AI to use IEDs (heck it is tough for a player if visibility is poor).  You can try altering the time to later in the day, but that will also make your units more visible.

The AI will use them, I have done a lot of messing with them, but they are far from foolproof especially when it comes to the AI.  If the triggerman gets suppressed at all the chances of them activating the IED are slim to none.

16 hours ago, zigzag109 said:

I’ve played through a number of scenarios and a few quick battles and from what I can tell the enemy doesn’t ever set off ieds or use the vbieds. Is this just me or are other having the same problem?

Personally mate I'd call this a result 😏

More seriously, IEDs and VBIEDs can be fiddly to get right in the AI and others have pointed out some of the variables that will affect whether they are triggered or not, such as triggerman LOS to the device and target, level of suppression and whatever soft factors such as experience and motivation. They do work; however, but work better when a human is controlling them.

10 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

any type of Triggerman can set off any type of IED. 

9 hours ago, sburke said:

interesting, haven't tried that yet.

I read an excellent post by @sburke (see link below) which hinted that it might be possible for any triggerman to set off any IED (as long as they were in range etc.) 

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/125970-ied-not-working/?do=findComment&comment=1728591

The post read in part "The triggerman is not specifically associated to an IED.  I have activated an IED with a different triggerman."  This lead to some experiments which demonstrated:  An IED can be activated and detonated by any triggerman.  Example: A cell triggerman can activate and/or detonate a wire or radio IED.

20e6RKFh.jpg

6D2Kyerh.jpg

R0dTMOGh.jpg

47zUbs6h.jpg

Thanks for all the replies!!!! ive tried my hand at the editor so far I can create a very basic mission with no reinforcements  (haven't figured out how to spawn in where I want) and editing scenarios with different countries ie, playing passage to Wilcox with a Canadian mech company instead of American. is there dukes modeled in game as a way to counter ieds? 

8 hours ago, zigzag109 said:

so far I can create a very basic mission with no reinforcements  (haven't figured out how to spawn in where I want)

is there dukes modeled in game as a way to counter ieds? 

A mission can have up to seven reinforcement groups.  On the unit purchase screen press number 1 for reinforcement group 1 and [R1] will display after the unit.  Pressing number 8 will delete an unwanted reinforcement number.  On the orders screen you may paint the setup zone you want the reinforcements to show up at or go to the unit screen & place them directly as you want them to appear.

On Units – Purchase screen assign the desired [R] number to the unit (#1 through #7 on the keyboard).

On Units - Reinforcements screen select Blue or Red and the desired reinforcement group. 

Select the time you want the reinforcements to show up in the game.  You can name the reinforcement group if you want. (If an AI reinforcement unit has an AI order that begins before the unit is scheduled to appear on the map the unit will never move.)  

Save

DUKES

At least one UK vehicle has an IED jammer.  I think it is the Warrior.  

1 hour ago, MOS:96B2P said:

At least one UK vehicle has an IED jammer.  I think it is the Warrior.  

Gosh!   Never occurred to me to look at vehicle attributes like that as usually all vehicles tend to be identical.  A good reminder.  But, how would one use such a vehicle?  Does it go first in column as a "IED clearer" or...?

Playing Abu Susah I've seen IED devices go off reliably in two locations, go off sometimes in one, and never go off in another one. The one that never goes off I don't often drive my vehicles over that location anyway.

When scenario-wide ECM jamming is turned on (though I don't recall a CMSF2 scenario that uses jamming) it affects radio and cell IEDs but not wire IEDs

'USMC To the Shores of Tripoli' makes daring use of VBIEDs (depending on which AI orders set gets selected). The scenario designer has to specifically create VBIED movement commands to get them to do their thing so they're not ideal AI-controlled QB weapons (unless the generic QB order tells everyone to rush straight at the enemy full speed). 

17 hours ago, Erwin said:

Gosh!   Never occurred to me to look at vehicle attributes like that as usually all vehicles tend to be identical.  A good reminder.  But, how would one use such a vehicle?  Does it go first in column as a "IED clearer" or...?

Use it how you like, you tailor your formations in accordance with the threat. ECM creates what is termed in UK/Australian parlance as a protective bubble around the person/vehicle equipped with it. I'm not prepared to discuss it in detail because the details of ECM are classified. In essence though you are taught to remain within the bubble in high threat areas. As we've already explained that AI use of IEDs is hit and miss I wouldn't bother getting into a detailed discussion of it as you stand more chance of not detonating an IED than suffering losses as a result of them.

Otherwise, before someone asks:

1. ECM in game does not detect IEDs.
  2. There is no command to switch it on or off, it is running all of the time.
  3. ECM equipped vehicles are no easier to detect because of ECM running than vehicles without ECM.
  4. ECM has no discernible effect on radio links and therefore the operation of C2 in-game.

Been discussed before here:

and here: