Ideas for CMx3 Armour Penetration Effects

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

BletchleyGeek,

Great vid, and it illustrates some of the points I made in another post regarding projectiles deflecting, prematurely detonating, etc.

SlowMotion (but really for those who've only ever known CMx2),

BTS had tanks continuing to move after killed but not K-Killed way back in CMBO. It was one of those things which sold me on the game when it was only in Beta Demo. My StuG III acquired, tracked, fired upon (gun recoiled) and nailed a crossing Sherman. It rolled I forget how many tank lengths before stopping. All this was on a screen model smaller than Micro Armour™!

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

On rare occasions, tankers have seen a main gun projectile coming right at their tank, in the form of a rapidly growing dot. Fairly sure it was in Crisp's Brazen Chariots, and I believe I've seen at least one other such mention.  Have a friend who did two tours in the Marines in Iraq and was manning a guard tower. Said he saw a mortar round come right through the camouflage net and past his face, with the munition apparently landing in a ravine or something so that he wasn't hit directly or indirectly when it blew up. Altogether too exciting for my tastes, but much better than what could easily have happened!

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Close calls like that were surprisingly common, especially in close quarters combat. I am reading Mark's Panzerkrieg and there were lots of opportunities in the battles for Voronezh and Stalingrad. 

Also a common theme in the 1942 to 1943 battles is one side being surprised by enemy tanks materialising from behind a ridge and at close range.