Afghanistan Mod Pack

Thanks for taking the time to compile all this info here Mord.

2 hours ago, Mord said:

As head gear goes you can have troops either wearing a helmet, not wearing a helmet, or wearing a helmet and no helmet mixed. But you can't have a helmet and a beret in the same formation.

This part here wouldn't be too much of a problem really for Talibans because they're likely to be the only opponent in a given scenario. Well unless you wanted to have ANA fighting them...

Anyway I am going to finish what I have so far and wrap it up. It won't be super good looking but given the limitations we have, it don't think there a lot we can do besides creating a semi decent make believe Taliban skin. It will require a very rich imagination though but I have been using them in several scenarios and if you don't zoom in too closely on them, it sort of works.

12 hours ago, Mord said:

Sorry, guys, can't be done. I've explained it numerous times so I'll just cut and paste what I said last time.

"Textures, yes, depending on how different the models are. Model swaps absolutely can't be done. I spent a good four hours or so the other day dicking around in the hex editor eyeing up the Syrian mds files. Charles locked them down hard. @Blimey reported this waaaay back when BS came out but I wanted to see what was what for myself. The Brain some how tied ALL the Syrian soldiers into a single set of mdses. ALL their codes point to lines entitled "placeholder uniform" "place holder skin" place holder boots".  The old mdses had a set for each soldier type and their code would point to something like "syrian reserve soldier" "syrian reserve uniform" etc. In effect there is no way to trick the mdses because every single file, no matter what it is, says "placeholder uniform" etc. The only reason Mikey pulled off that weapon swap was because the weapons files hadn't been screwed with."

"Not necessarily. There are a few exceptions, like weapons and flavor objects. but you can't take Muj from CMA and get them into SF2 if that's what you're hoping for. There's no way. Read my quote of myself above, it'll explain it. I am not exactly sure what was needed to be done with the beret but whatever it was it won't work with cross game models like soldiers. I'd love to be wrong. But I don't see how it could be done without completely hacking the code. But ANYONE is welcome to prove me wrong! I'd be thrilled if they did. BUT whatever they did it wouldn't be the old way of hex editing. Anyway, I'd kill to get the MUJ to take the place of the Uncons."

"No need to apologize. I thought you might be going in that direction but then the head gear would have to be for the Special Forces because then EVERY body else (Mech, Reserves, Guards, Airborne) would be wearing it. It's a complete conundrum. It wouldn't work with the Uncons because they don't have any helmets. It's a Gordian knot and we can't cut it as far as I can see.

The key to all of this is locked up in those mdses somewhere.

EDITED: Or come to think of it maybe not. I think they rewrote it so that you don't need separate models for separate textures."

As head gear goes you can have troops either wearing a helmet, not wearing a helmet, or wearing a helmet and no helmet mixed. But you can't have a helmet and a beret in the same formation.

And I don't even have the Muj files that Blimey made for SF1. I don't know why. I thought I'd saved them. You wanna talk about hex magic those were hex magic. What a confusing bunch of models they were. Anyway they wouldn't work with SF 2.

Mord.

Damn, allah not akbar :)

I just had a look at CMA mujahideens following a suggestion from benpark. You can actually import the CMA models in SF2. But the issue is that the original CMA skin for them is split into three different textures bmps : body/turban/head all somehow attached to a single mds skeleton file. I suppose in theory maybe it is possible to re-texture them. But it sounds like a colossal headache because you would be working entirely from scratch without a template and you'd have to figure which bits go where. So I am just going to finish working on these fellas below and upload what I have soon because they're almost done and they will be a decent temporary solution until someone comes up with something better.

Y0HOUNq.png

1 minute ago, Zveroboy1 said:

Ahh I thought maybe that was it. This is what inspired me to work on the whole project. And I have a foot patrol scenario based on it.

Well you really have done a great job of representing the Afghan terrain as portrayed in that program. I had a look at the CMA mujahideens earlier in the day. As has been mentioned, It is fabricating the hats and half-head scarfs that are the problem.

10 hours ago, Zveroboy1 said:

I just had a look at CMA mujahideens following a suggestion from benpark. You can actually import the CMA models in SF2. But the issue is that the original CMA skin for them is split into three different textures bmps : body/turban/head all somehow attached to a single mds skeleton file. I suppose in theory maybe it is possible to re-texture them. But it sounds like a colossal headache because you would be working entirely from scratch without a template and you'd have to figure which bits go where. So I am just going to finish working on these fellas below and upload what I have soon because they're almost done and they will be a decent temporary solution until someone comes up with something better.

This is good news.  But am puzzled.  I thought that none of the older "uniform" mods from CMSF1 or CMA would work in CMSF2.  Do mujahideen "uniforms" function in a different way?

On 2/10/2019 at 8:19 PM, Zveroboy1 said:

Glad you like it. Perhaps we have been watching the same youtube vid.

Was it Royal Marines Mission Afghanistan by any chance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk7NaYk3Scc

On 2/10/2019 at 10:37 PM, z1812 said:

Yes that is the one. I have watched episodes 1 and 2 and am looking forward to watching 3 and 4 later in the week.

Funny that you guys bring this show up. I just discovered that show last week and was hooked. Ross Kemp did a few similar shows that I've also found on youtube. Haven't finished them yet, but Return to Afghanistan (https://youtu.be/os48i9sLqwY) and Back on the Frontline (https://youtu.be/cUEqGPu097k

are both pretty good. There's another series he did a year before Return to Afghanistan (which was filmed in 2008) but it's not on youtube.

On 2/10/2019 at 10:38 PM, Zveroboy1 said:

Y0HOUNq.png

Who do they replace? Combatants?

Yes combatants. I have stopped working on them to focus on the scenario and will try to release both together. At first I used the fighters as a base but then I switched to combatants instead, mostly for visual reasons. I liked having ammo pouches on the fighters but wasn't too fond of the balaclava. I think keffiyehs work slightly better.

2 minutes ago, LongLeftFlank said:

One of my favourite features of @Mord's mixed mods from SF1 was that it mixed masked and unmasked (Spy) figures, making local fedayeen look more authentic. They aren't always faceless headchoppers, after all.

I've tried to use the spy .mdr's for combatants but it doesn't seem to work for me... I'm no modder.

However, for those wanting fighters that look less "ninja", I've been using Blimeys CMBS Insurgent mods. They mostly fit (if you avoid any uniforms with kneepads) so are an adequate stopgap.

I have looked at hundreds of pics of taliban fighters, it is rare to see a single one without any sort of headgear.

Traditional Afghan fashion :

KeJnH2Km.jpgZszv4Rzm.jpgro4xoPLm.jpg

But it is not unheard of to have talibs cover their faces even though this is perhaps mostly when being filmed by journalists to be fair.

5n9VX4xm.jpgntqotkcm.jpg5D6ro0tm.jpg

1qTncuUm.jpgS32ig4Mm.jpgMqDFP4zm.jpg

Some of these on the last row above might be ISIL in Afghanistan or foreign fighters and not regular Taliban, not 100% sure. But even though Afghanistan is a pretty conservative society, they don't all look like 80's mujahideens.

On 2/16/2019 at 10:15 PM, Zveroboy1 said:

I have looked at hundreds of pics of taliban fighters, it is rare to see a single one without any sort of headgear

Some of these on the last row above might be ISIL in Afghanistan or foreign fighters and not regular Taliban, not 100% sure. But even though Afghanistan is a pretty conservative society, they don't all look like 80's mujahideens.

From the images I've seen over the years, Taliban are generally wearing traditional Afghan civilian clothing, usually without any military-style equipment (vests, bandoliers, harnesses, etc) other than their rifle. Those where they are wearing military-style equipment over their civilian clothing seem to be posed. Makes sense, since their MO is to blend in with the civilian population as much as possible in a combat situation. ISIL forces in Afghanistan, however, are all over the damn place in terms of garb. Some of them are wearing the good ol' black pajamas that are already in-game (albeit without the green headband, although some do have a white one), others wearing civilian clothing with military equipment worn over it, or even fatigues captured from various countries. Headgear for ISIL is similarly varied, from afghan-type, to scarves (similar to the uncons in SF2), some with helmets, and a few without anything covering their heads.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/16/2019 at 9:04 PM, LongLeftFlank said:

One of my favourite features of @Mord's mixed mods from SF1 was that it mixed masked and unmasked (Spy) figures, making local fedayeen look more authentic. They aren't always faceless headchoppers, after all.

Yeah, I was disappointed that I couldn't reproduce it in SF2.

On 2/16/2019 at 9:11 PM, 37mm said:

I've tried to use the spy .mdr's for combatants but it doesn't seem to work for me... I'm no modder.

There's a bunch of info about why in the Screenshot thread, I believe. Can't remember where I wrote it now. Anyway, yeah, it won't work.

EDITED: There's a rehash on the first page of this thread about it.

Mord.

Edited by Mord