New Scenario: Coup D'etat

This is something I learned from @RockinHarry.  The placing of a bridge through a building allows vehicles to drive through the building.  This is useful for entrances to secured facilities.  The below screenshots were taken at the gate to the Ministry of the Interior compound.  

An SF unit leads locally recruited mercenaries through the front gate at the Ministry of the Interior compound.       

Hvs3hT0h.jpg

Izo0SpEh.jpg   

bIb9KzP.png

Before rebels blew up the transmitter, Latka Gravas decided to remind everyone that transportation for tonight's coup has been generously provided by the Asfarr Taxi Company: Abbudin's premier destination for all your truck, technical, and taxi needs!

wXQCaij.png?1

After a sharp increase in pedestrian fatalities, Abbudinian police have taken a much harsher stance against jaywalking.

4 minutes ago, evilman222 said:

Before rebels blew up the transmitter, Latka Gravas decided to remind everyone that transportation for tonight's coup has been generously provided by the Asfarr Taxi Company: Abbudin's premier destination for all your truck, technical, and taxi needs!

After a sharp increase in pedestrian fatalities, Abbudinian police have taken a much harsher stance against jaywalking.

:D  That Latka guy and his taxis...........just don't get in the red ones! :lol:

14 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

This is something I learned from @RockinHarry.  The placing of a bridge through a building allows vehicles to drive through the building.  This is useful for entrances to secured facilities.  

that was a surprising finding indeed. Interesting that it´s now actually used in any game. Did you figure any problems or side effects with this construction thus far? I know vehicles taller than ~ 3m will touch the ceiling, but when not moving large vehicles through there shouldn´t be a major problem, other than a vehicle commander/crew sticking heads into the story above, looking odd. :blink:

3 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

that was a surprising finding indeed. Interesting that it´s now actually used in any game. Did you figure any problems or side effects with this construction thus far? I know vehicles taller than ~ 3m will touch the ceiling, but when not moving large vehicles through there shouldn´t be a major problem, other than a vehicle commander/crew sticking heads into the story above, looking odd. :blink:

So far I haven't encountered any issues. Been getting technicals and pickups through without any trouble. And I think we've all learned to deal with tiny visual bugs like that. Doesn't look anywhere near as bad as "Habib the Two Headed Rifleman" who shows up when I have men inside a room and they decide to stand in the same spot.

16 hours ago, Chudacabra said:

This scenario looks even better than Tactical Operations Centre.

It's another masterpiece for sure, although imo (and I'm curious as to whether other testers think this or not) it has a very different feal from TOC. In TOC, I usually found myself reacting to unfolding events instead of taking the initiative. Coup is the other way around. Here, you've got the initiative fairly early on in the scenario. Also there's more explosions in coup, which is a plus for me haha

Here's a quote from my ongoing AAR thread:

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 2:46 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Absolutely loving this scenario.....TOC was good, but this one is a masterpiece!  B)

I finally got what this was about:

16 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

:D  That Latka guy and his taxis...........just don't get in the red ones! :lol:

Horrified to discover they've remade it.....Quite badly by the look of it.  :(

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

On 2/16/2019 at 3:48 AM, RockinHarry said:

Interesting that it´s now actually used in any game. Did you figure any problems or side effects with this construction thus far? 

The most noticeable thing is the temporary odd look if tall vehicles pass through.  The second thing is that a player needs to be a little more careful when placing infantry waypoints in the building.  I had a fire team run through the building and then back inside when I wanted them to go directly to the second floor.  I paid more attention and re-plotted the waypoints with no problem the second time.  I don't really understand yet why that happened but I am keeping an eye on it. 

Its kind of cool.  Different bridges can be used with different buildings / building skins for different purposes.  I used a two action spot long building since this bridge fit inside with nothing sticking out (so it just looked better IMO).  I will keep experimenting with it.  I have some more ideas how it can be used in future scenarios. 

Thanks for finding and sharing this cool editor ability.  :)  

23 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

The most noticeable thing is the temporary odd look if tall vehicles pass through.  The second thing is that a player needs to be a little more careful when placing infantry waypoints in the building.  I had a fire team run through the building and then back inside when I wanted them to go directly to the second floor.  I paid more attention and re-plotted the waypoints with no problem the second time.  I don't really understand yet why that happened but I am keeping an eye on it. 

Its kind of cool.  Different bridges can be used with different buildings / building skins for different purposes.  I used a two action spot long building since this bridge fit inside with nothing sticking out (so it just looked better IMO).  I will keep experimenting with it.  I have some more ideas how it can be used in future scenarios. 

Thanks for finding and sharing this cool editor ability.  :)  

I just have it tested short time the day I posted that finding in Port Cros thread and then forgot about it again. Effectively the building (basement) is still there and likely the (invisible) staircase from base to 1st floor. So I´d expect a couple of odd side effects with this, also regarding the developers likely did not think of anybody trying that illogical terrain type combo. Something else to try could be toying with terrain height (raising or lowering) in the edited buidlings AS to achieve yet more possibilities. Looking forward to any more cool findings of yours! B)

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Sadly in at least some configurations, those bridge entrances can play hell with LOS.....I lost eight men to a couple of dudes in a building on the other side of one of these structures, the units concerned couldn't even see the building.  :(

Have you experienced this issue at both structures (Citidel and Ministry)? Seems like the game engine does screwy things to begin with with regards to LOS and buildings.

I've not investigated The Citadel, but my attack on the Ministry Of The Interior didn't go well at all.....I'm just discussing the events with @MOS:96B2P, over in the other place.  I'm not too familiar with the mechanics of the 'bridges in buildings thing' so I'm struggling to get my head around what exactly is going on.  I was wondering if enemy units might have wound up under the bridge tile (if that's even possible)?

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead