CMBN Invisible floating unit icons mod

Contains invisible floating unit icons for standard CMBN + CW forces. Unpack into data/z folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bqq3xoi2p8rr6hs/Z_CMBN No Icons.rar?dl=0

This is not really a full mod. I consider this as experimental toolset for selectively replacing any existing FLOATING UNIT ICONS with invisible ones in CMBN (incl. CW forces). The main idea was to make enemy floating unit icons invisible, while the same time preserving the friendly ones (for quick access and overview), but also to add additional FOW while removing the possible distraction from enemy floating unit icons possibly covering larger parts of the game map. ALT+I does the same, but it´s all or nothing.

ALL floating unit icons for german, US and CW can be replaced with invisible substitute icons. To achieve invisibility, alpha layers were made opaque by filling in all black with Photoshop and saved in 32Bit BMP alpha layer format (the standard).

The folders contain all the invisible floating unit icons unpacked by default and a RAR packed file contains these as backup additionally. So if the mod rar file (Z_CMBN No Icons.rar) is unpacked straight into your data/z folder, EVERY floating unit icon in the game is replaced by invisible ones. Now the purpose is to selectively remove those icons you don´t want to be seen in the game from the sub folders. In example if you play as the US player vs. a german opponent, just delete those files from the friendly "USA" folder and leave the (invisible) "german" opponent ones in, if you don´t want to see german floating unit icons. This leaves any original or modded USA unit icons visible, while making german ones invisible. Also delete the files labeled "icon blue..." (used for US and CW) from the "shared" folder and leave the german ones (icon red...) as is.

The two files from the "contacts" folder should be deleted, as these are needed for friendly FOW purposes. A packed backup file is always present in every sub folder. The backups contain the invisible floating unit icons. Original floating unit icons, as well as modded ones remain untouched off course.

Note: Off course you need to switch floating unit icons ingame to ON (ALT+I). While the floating unit icon graphics are invisible, the actual icon objects are still physically present and if needed you can click/activate them as usual if clicking slightly above a unit in 3D space. Game manual: "Over the center mass of the units they represent"

Another interesting use would be to just delete the files containing "fow" (fog of war) in filename, while preserving every other file in a subfolder. The "fow" files are contained in "british", "german" and "usa" folders. What happens in game is that just the "generic silhouette + question mark" icons pop up occasionally, indicating something has changed among the enemy force. Game manual: "Unknown or previously spotted but now out of sight units, as well as pure sound contacts, are shown with a generic silhouette and a question mark."

I haven´t tested all SKILL LEVEL modes, so it might be possible that some of the above mentioned procedures need to be adapted or changed in order for the particular SKILL MODES handling of floating unit icons works the way you want. I usually play in IRON.

RockinHarry

Edit: Also works fine with CMFB. Ignore British folder or delete it.

Edited by RockinHarry

1 hour ago, CMFDR said:

That's intriguing Harry, thanks for sharing. 

Could you please elaborate on what is the impact on your own gameplay? For example, does it mean that you do not manually target OPFOR?

I´m using mostly covered arcs and let the AI do most the time, although I target directly from time to time as well. Direct targeting is still possible, particularly on single large targets. Without seeing enemy floating icons it takes just a little bit longer to get the targeting tool "snap" on the desired target. If you´re seasoned player, you´re not loosing much comfort here IMHO. Upper screen triangles are unaffected as said.

ATM I´m (test) playing my full personal mod package (no tracers, no enemy floating icons, medic-cower-reload & idle stance animations mod) and I like the largely increased FOW on enemy forces, as well as the added confusion added through lack of certain visual clues. I also like the (slightly) decreased kill and spotting rates on both sides infantry due to the animation file mods. Overally it adds more immersion and realism to me and off course it´s my personal preference. I´m also always playing in Iron skills mode.

That sounds sexy! 😋

I'm using a couple alternative animation mods too (CMBN Alternative Cower Animation and Buddy Aid Animation) and I would love to have the tracers limited to MG fired bullets, at most (nowadays we do have tracers in assault rifles' mags though, unsure about then and in anyway I doesn't float my boat).

Without floating I may loose on the overall SA but that may actually be an opportunity to take a closer look and appreciate the details even more.

Well, I would happily give a test, or 10, to your package if you feel like sharing it as is.

Edited by CMFDR
Pressed Send button prematurely :/

Didn´t take me much work to make invisible floating unit icons for all CMX2 WW2 series games (CMBN; CMFI; CMRT and CMFB). Although I do neither have CMFI nor CMRT, I was able to pull required file names and folder structure info from the demoes or icon mods over at CMMODS III. For anybody like giving it a try, here´s the link (check the incl. readme for more detailed info). The archive contains seperate files to be unpacked into corresponding games data/z folder:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1o7jbvfduvqgugr/RHZ CMX2 WW2 Invisible Floating Unit icons Full Package.rar?dl=0

On 1/31/2019 at 10:26 AM, RockinHarry said:

Didn´t take me much work to make invisible floating unit icons for all CMX2 WW2 series games (CMBN; CMFI; CMRT and CMFB). Although I do neither have CMFI nor CMRT, I was able to pull required file names and folder structure info from the demoes or icon mods over at CMMODS III. For anybody like giving it a try, here´s the link (check the incl. readme for more detailed info). The archive contains seperate files to be unpacked into corresponding games data/z folder:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1o7jbvfduvqgugr/RHZ CMX2 WW2 Invisible Floating Unit icons Full Package.rar?dl=0

You Sir have saved a bunch of time and hassles. Well done!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok, @RockinHarry...I'm playing a PBEM (ncc1701 vs JoMc67 DAR) and I'm Germs against U.S. and the their Icons are gone, but I still get the arrows at top of screen...Maybe I installed something wrong ? 

Thou, I do like the stock arrows showing as it gives me an idea of where the enemy is located at any given time.

Edited by JoMc67

30 minutes ago, JoMc67 said:

Ok, @RockinHarry...I'm playing a PBEM (ncc1701 vs JoMc67 DAR) and I'm Germs against U.S. and the their Icons are gone, but I still get the arrows at top of screen...Maybe I installed something wrong ? 

Thou, I do like the stock arrows showing as it gives me an idea of where the enemy is located at any given time.

weren´t part of the icons download in this thread, but in case you still like to try:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j0ouwaxisea5zdz/z_RHZ_Realism_Pack.zip?dl=0

invisible triangles is in no markers folder, as is the red cross casualty icon.

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Interesting mod.  It would be nice to have this mod in the modern titles also :)

hey bud, IIRC you can use the same files and swap them out. Basically it´s just a single icon file (which is generic alpha masked) and name copied over to remaining ones as required. Have no time for this ATM, but anybody can do it in short time I believe. :)