See "Hyena Road" especially if you love Canadian Army!

Am taking a chance posting here, but I believe this is the best place to do so, since I believe CMSF2 will allow depicting most, if not all, of the combat actions, not to mention providing a wealth of visuals for mapping maps, laying out villages, skinning things and getting the atmosphere right.  Here's what I just posted about "Hyena Road" on FB.

"Anyone who enjoys war movies, especially modern warfare, must see "Hyena Road" currently free on Amazon Prime. Not only does it have a great and moving story (broke down and cried during one scene), but it's got all the war toys, the real ones, ranging from small arms through field artillery and even a C-17. It's about the Canadian Army in Afghanistan, and parts of it were shot there. It's got real Afghanis speaking Pashtun. Veterans may find this film a bit much, for this movie is raw and unfiltered, and casualties are sometimes gruesome, not gore for the sake of gore, but simply because that's what happens. None of the Hollywood nonsense of intact bodies flying through the air! The screenplay is superb, as are the dialogue and the camera work. The actors playing Canadian Army roles are the pride of Canada, and some of them also appeared in Hollywood films. See this film!"

The war toy list is incomplete. Would add that, though I know squat about how the Canadian Army operates, I found tactics, procedures, capabilities depicted and pretty much everything else to be entire credible. In fact, I'd say it's about as close to real combat as I ever wish to be. Am talking feeling like I'm about to be shot or blown up and from just about any direction at several points during the film. My only issue was with gun elevation during a fire mission. That struck me as odd, and if you watch this amazing film, you'll understand why. Would appreciate feedback on that matter from you FA types on that. I consider "Hyena Road" to be one of the best war movies I've ever seen.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

1 hour ago, John Kettler said:

Would add that, though I know squat about how the Canadian Army operates, I found tactics, procedures, capabilities depicted and pretty much everything else to be entire credible. In fact, I'd say it's about as close to real combat as I ever wish to be. A

lmao

Hard disagree. I watched part of this and found it boring, cliche, poorly acted, and overall poorly written. Kinda the standard for most Canadian films IMO, a poor attempt to emulate better American war movies with better budgets that can actually do war justice. 

Also how is an Afghan war film relevant to a game about an invasion of Syria in 2007? 🤔

Edited by sid_burn

I disagree with your hard disagree. Would that make me harder? ANYHOW!!!! Moving right along.

It was a fun action movie on a low budget. So, what? Why does a lead have to make 50mil and why does a film need to cost 300mil in order to be considered worth the price of admission. It's as close to a 'war' movie as the millennials will allow us to have about Afghanistan (or any confrontation nowadays). Sure, the cloak and dagger political plot line was paint by numbers but the action scenes were good and, more importantly, involving small unit engagements. That's what mattered. The explosions were big enough to satisfy IMHO.

It was a pleasant surprise and refreshing to see film about that theater from a perspective other than a US one (no offense intended). The action was about as well choreographed as bigger budgeted films. I'm hard pressed to name anything better in the past four years (since 2015 release) that had a similar budget and scope (little more than a sniper team for the most part). There was a Swedish (War for Peace)  mini series that was also good and a UK movie whose title I can't recall at this late hour... it's been sparse. Was the Mark Wahlberg movie (another one I can't name ATM!) better in your opinion?

Finally, not a single Marvel superhero was harmed in the making of this film...

3 hours ago, sid_burn said:

Also how is an Afghan war film relevant to a game about an invasion of Syria in 2007? 🤔

It's war pron, what's your problem?

Edited by Howler

23 hours ago, Rinaldi said:

lmao

Rinaldi,

I see I wasn't sufficiently precise in my phrasing. What I was trying to say is that though I don't have any direct knowledge about how the Canadian Army does things, I found what I saw to be credible in terms of weapons, tactics, C4, ISR, COMINT and the like in terms of what would make sense from a military perspective. And, yes, I did consider parts of the film to be altogether too real and consequently passed the word so that veterans might think about the subject matter and whether or not it would be comfortable viewing for them.

I have a brother who did 20 years in Army Scouts and who was rocketed, mortared and nearly blown up by a VBIED in Iraq while with the first SBCT to enter battle. He had friends who sustained terrible wounds and others who came home in coffins. He has demurred not only on seeing certain films but even on a miniatures game set in Ramadi and featuring the very things which jeopardized his life. So deeply affected by his experiences there was he that when I sent him Mom's funeral flag (was in Marines in Korean War), there was an emotional explosion. As a result, I arranged for the flag to be sent to another sibling and sent him a 50th anniversary of Pearl Harbor flag instead. I take these matters seriously, especially not only with what I know about PTSD but the far less well known condition known as blast brain, which can mimic PTSD but isn't treatable that way.Talking micro lesions in the brain a CAT or MRI lacks the resolution to see, requiring much more sophisticated imaging.

Regards,

John Kettler

23 hours ago, Howler said:

There's a General Discussion forum down below for this sort of thing. John knows that, but he just continues on posting this sort of tripe here.

Edited by LukeFF

I've been watching a few decent war films recently... heck I never even watched 'The Pacific' til a few months back.

Hyena road was one of them, Jadotville (about the Irish... in the Congo!) was another. 'The long road home' about Iraq, 'Operation Red Sea' (The Chinese... in Somalia) & 'Caravan Hunters' (Soviets in Afghanistan).

I'm about half-way through Kokoda (Upside-downers in a Jungle).

I've enjoyed them all.

None of them are Zulu... but, then again, what is?

Either way, none of them had Superheroes, Superheroines or Super-mutants... a refreshing change from the usual fare.

16 hours ago, 37mm said:

I've been watching a few decent war films recently... 

Hyena road was one of them, 

I've enjoyed them all.

Either way, none of them had Superheroes, Superheroines or Super-mutants... a refreshing change from the usual fare.

Yes, this.  +1 

On 1/28/2019 at 12:29 AM, Howler said:

Well it got moved to a different forum, so Sid wins again.

It's as close to a 'war' movie as the millennials will allow us to have about Afghanistan (or any confrontation nowadays).

To quote @Rinaldi, LMAO.

Regards,

Sid.

Edited by sid_burn