Could I get some feedback on my coming campaign map?

puje

Hello

I'm well underway in making a map which will be the location of most of the missions in a campaign. (I have explained the idea here http://community.battlefront.com/topic/134457-campaign-idea/ ) And since maybe 70% of the missions will take place on this map, it must of course be solid.

It is not completely done yet, but I'm getting there. I'd be really greatful if anybody would take a look at it, and give me some pointers in the right direction. I am just looking for feedback on the MAP! Any units, objectives, etc. will be changed in final version. Location markers are just a brainstorm of ideas I might implement in the missions.

Thanks!

shot.png

Download:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=10203666768401448600

Edited by puje

I just had a quick look at it. Very nice map! I see how it can work for a campaign and how you could easily have several localized scenarios on this big map.

You look like you know what you're doing really. There are just two minor things :

1/ Maybe add some more small stone walls, especially alongside paths and around fields here and there maybe. You could replace the fence with one.

2/ There is the issue of compounds. I like them because visually they look cool and they also present an interesting tactical challenge. However they can also cause issues from a scenario design perspective. The defender needs spots to shoot from. In a compound surrounded by tall walls, that leaves only rooftops. So even though in real life, Afghan houses tend not to have tall parapets on rooftops, troops on a flat roof are extremely vulnerable and don't last long at all in a firefight. So you might want to add more parapets. Another option I have seen designers use is to have large openings or gaps in the compound walls so soldiers inside buildings facing the "gate" can shoot enemies outside. That works too. But perhaps you could  use another technique to model the use of murder holes like in the picture below.

Au5V3YSh.jpg

One way to achieve this is by using buildings as part of the compound wall with just a single, maybe two windows like so :

zh4qNT3l.png

685GoMol.png

Now I know what you're thinking. "Oh no! I have to redo all my compounds !?!"  However that's not necessary at all. I see you have a wide variety of layouts for your houses and most of them look just fine. It is just a technique you could use from time to time when necessary.

8 hours ago, Zveroboy1 said:

I just had a quick look at it. Very nice map! I see how it can work for a campaign and how you could easily have several localized scenarios on this big map.

You look like you know what you're doing really. There are just two minor things :

1/ Maybe add some more small stone walls, especially alongside paths and around fields here and there maybe. You could replace the fence with one.

2/ There is the issue of compounds. I like them because visually they look cool and they also present an interesting tactical challenge. However they can also cause issues from a scenario design perspective. The defender needs spots to shoot from. In a compound surrounded by tall walls, that leaves only rooftops. So even though in real life, Afghan houses tend not to have tall parapets on rooftops, troops on a flat roof are extremely vulnerable and don't last long at all in a firefight. So you might want to add more parapets. Another option I have seen designers use is to have large openings or gaps in the compound walls so soldiers inside buildings facing the "gate" can shoot enemies outside. That works too. But perhaps you could  use another technique to model the use of murder holes like in the picture below.

Au5V3YSh.jpg

One way to achieve this is by using buildings as part of the compound wall with just a single, maybe two windows like so :

zh4qNT3l.png

685GoMol.png

Now I know what you're thinking. "Oh no! I have to redo all my compounds !?!"  However that's not necessary at all. I see you have a wide variety of layouts for your houses and most of them look just fine. It is just a technique you could use from time to time when necessary.

Great ideas. Will definitely implement those! Also got me thinking I should build a few more compounds with odd angles, just to mix it up a little. 

On additional suggestion for those "buildings as part of the walls so you can have a window to shoot out of" idea - add low walls along the outer edge of the building. That will give additional protection for those shooting out the window and allow for the building wall to take more of a beating before becoming a big hole.

I'll give more detailed comment later but in the meantime, some reference pics …

464325233_DashtGreenZonePlusArm.jpg.e00c5fcf1dc7d37cc29f4111684f2add.jpg

This really is just to show what my arm looks like for those curious about such things.

1195276903_GZvsDashtComparison.jpg.cec38710082f29530f411c2d6c482992.jpg

So here we've got Green Zone plus Dasht, a river and some of that mountainous stuff.

1453046437_RiverDashtMountains.jpg.55e3b35974cf21d9e4853f42b9b841a2.jpg

More of that river, desert green zone and mountain stuff.

212086967_RunningIn.jpg.bb0178c4b508f8562b9d79ddc01aaefe.jpg

Mountains plus just a bit of awesomeness running into the target.

992887835_CompoundDetailonTarget.thumb.jpg.f94cd032ad3c7c41ad7dbe11677371de.jpg

One of the target villages with compound detail.

Nice pics. Were these all taken in Helmand?

6 hours ago, IanL said:

Cool, those look at lot like what @Zveroboy1 created.

I looked at tons of pictures before I came up with this design and it works fairly well but there is a game play issue with these types of compounds that I haven't been able to totally solve in my experiments.

With a regular defensive position in buildings, once you have fired long enough at the defenders, the tactical AI will kick in and they retreat outside the building. Here, often the AI defender will end up holed up inside the enclosed area of the walls and you have to assault the compound with demo charges in order to flush them out. It is the case with large compounds, less so when they're relatively small.

While this behaviour is fitting for a Fallujah type of situation, in Afghanistan I find it a tad problematic because the way I understand it, Talibans would usually pull back and disappear and not fight to the death inside the compound. I suppose that could be fixed by adding triggers and a retreat movement.

1 hour ago, MOS:96B2P said:

:D  All the stuff in those photos and this is the question?  THIS?  Must be a uniform moder............. made me laugh out loud........ :lol:  :)

To be honest mate I thought that @IanL was going to comment about shooting from the hip rather than his MG and shoulder comment.

Anyway ... to further gladden your heart, that was a leaflet drop mate and was a good day at work.

51 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

Anyway ... to further gladden your heart, that was a leaflet drop mate and was a good day at work.

19 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

Littering yes but it got rid of some garbage a couple of days down the track in the way we intended - so as I said, a good day at work.

Nice!!!  PSYOPS!!!  Love it when a plan comes together.  If there was anything left to interrogate, I hope you got to sit in or at least review the transcripts.  Cool stuff.   Ooops, not sure why the below image is so large........

EZuON7Kh.jpg

Edited by MOS:96B2P

2 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Nice!!!  PSYOPS!!!  Love it when a plan comes together.  If there was anything left to interrogate, I hope you got to sit in or at least review the transcripts.  Cool stuff.   Ooops, not sure why the below image is so large........

EZuON7Kh.jpg

None of that mate - the dude is enjoying the afterlife.

4 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

:D  All the stuff in those photos and this is the question?  THIS?  Must be a uniform moder............. made me laugh out loud........ :lol:  :)

Pffft!  Aerial photos of dull, drab buildings are a dime a dozen.  But colorful, strange alien camo, now there's a subject!