Paratrooper Chinstrap BUG

23 hours ago, Mord said:

dpTfqez.jpg

Mord.

12 hours ago, Moose Trot Actual said:

Negative, we both took our Z folder out to make sure it was not mod related.  its visible on the stock 82nd infantry

If you are referring to the extra straps I think that is intended.  It is to keep the helmet on the paratrooper's head when making a door exit at altitude.   We also had extra helmet straps in the 82nd Airborne in the 1980s.  They were different and came around from the back and velcroed around the normal chin strap.  In WWII I think they had the Geronimo helmet which also had additional straps. 

Its windy up there, making the door (or ramp) exit!!  :D    

It actually looks as though the paratroop strap is mounted to the helmet liner while the normal strap is attached to the steel helmet instead of the liner.  I used to have to wear those when I first enlisted and IIRC the normal helmet liner has no strap.  Those things were extremely heavy and uncomfortable and I was very happy when we switched over to the Kevlar helmet.

Well then, BF gets +5 for extreme attention to detail. And it's easily moddable with a mask texture any way. I've never liked the infantry chinstraps they look like steel bars.

Ok NOTHING TO SEE HERE.

Mord.

yeah  for sure good to see that amount of detail :P.  also, on the topic of helmets,  i'm curious if anyone knows how true this is,  but part of why a lot of guys would not wear a chin strap was due to the fact that the turbulence from a large caliber round flying close overhead (say and 88 round) would cause air to rush up under the helmet, and end up either breaking the soldiers neck or taking their head off. 

6 minutes ago, Erwin said:

IIRC it was to prevent an enemy using one's own helmet to strangle one from behind.  

that seems like a very convoluted reason for this feature. you can't really prevent anything from turning into a weapon on a battlefield.

if you can't strangle him with the strap, might as well bash his head in with the big freaking steel pot you have in your hands.

here's an article from a seemingly pretty legit site on the subject:

https://olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_gear_m1_helmet.php

helmet_m1_3.jpg

Edited by Frenchy56

Yup... seems definitive:  "The strap remained fastened under the impact of a blast wave resulting from a nearby detonation, thereby jerking the head sharply and violently with the production of fractures or dislocations of the cervical vertebras." 

Where's a good trivial pursuit game when one needs one?