Barbarossa

user1000

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 5:18 AM, Zveroboy1 said:

Well still. I have downloaded this rar file that someone on this forum compiled with all the scenarios released for SF1. (I forgot who it was but thanks). And it has 600 or 700 scenarios in it. Combatintman says a grand total of 9 scenarios released in what? two years for FB. Let's say RT and BS have 3 times this number for argument sake, maybe it is more i don't know, this isn't even close.

Anyway this is what it is. I have probably made half a dozen scenarios over the years for RT, BS and SF1 and twice as many maps for my own use that I never published because they're only 80% done or I don't think they're good enough. I am probably not the only one.

Well finish 'em off mate - I'm happy to provide advice or a once over and help you to polish them up. I appreciate it is daunting putting something out because you are subjecting it to external scrutiny. The upside of it though is that for every critic you'll generally get half a dozen people who'll love your work. I've been there myself in terms of wondering whether to upload or not and there are a couple of things that I've done or attempted to do but thought - no this isn't good enough. That said, looking back on some of my early releases, I shudder at what I did there. At the time I released them though, I thought that they were good enough and, importantly most people loved what I'd done.

If you've spent the time and effort to get something to 80%, the 20% will really pay dividends both to you as a sense of achievement and for all of us who download and play your scenario.

2 hours ago, Rinaldi said:
On 1/14/2019 at 3:30 PM, sburke said:

Developing a product with no user content is something I expect Steve would say “you are crazy” to, but yeah I am a bit crazy that way. 

Vehicle pack.

And the no scenarios are available that use it was a big concern when it came out. The release of the battle pack that did make use of it helped but I don't think a no scenario included release went over particularly well. I have no idea how well Steve felt it did though so I don't really know what the future might hold for such ideas.

8 hours ago, RepsolCBR said:

Personally i'm starting to fear that we will not be seeing any early war, eastern front games. And that makes me SAD ! To me a CMBB2 editor pack sounds like a rather good 'solution'...

But is it a solution to a problem that doesn't exist? We don't know what the future will really reveal so while an interesting idea is such a thing really solving a problem that we actually have? I have no idea.

1 hour ago, IanL said:

But is it a solution to a problem that doesn't exist? We don't know what the future will really reveal so while an interesting idea is such a thing really solving a problem that we actually have? I have no idea.

This is a good point obviously 😊...and  yes...i don't KNOW that BFC will skip the release of these products or that it will take them a long time to produce them i they do decide to include them in their line-up.

Hopefully everything will pick up pace and run along smothely...resulting in the release of these games in the not to far away future. 

That would certainly be the best for everybody 😄...but if the development meets with some setbacks or what not i think that something like i mentioned above could be a workable alternative maybe...

As much as we old school wargamers would crave Barbarossa, it's probably out of our reach in any future rendition of the CM franchise. The same is true for the Pacific or France 1940. BFC designs products based on their personal interest and passion for the subject. Certain subjects are not in their wheelhouse. I would be surprised if the idea a editor pack for CM2 Barbarossa goes far since development costs would be high for what would be (with or without content) a niche product. 

Kevin

4 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Sadly I can't help but think that by the time BFC release a new "Barbarossa" game mankind will have forgotten that the word "too" ever existed.

Well i guess that BFC are to(o) late with the release of Barbarossa then...as it seems some of us have forgotten about it already 😉

I'm painfully aware that my english is somewhat rusty...but it's been 30 years since my last confession...uups..or should that be english lesson.

As long as my pixel truppen understand me....no worries ! ☺️

7 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Don't worry, most native English speakers let their phones do their spelling for them, and that is why the wonderful word "too" is being killed off.

Yepp...the bloody phones will even do the talking for us now adays...type in what you would like to say (in your native language) and the little things will translate and speak it for you in the language of your choise...

Handy...no doubt 😎

4 hours ago, RepsolCBR said:

type in what you would like to say (in your native language) and the little things will translate and speak it for you in the language of your choise...

really handy as am often abroad.  might even tempt me into actually getting a smart phone.  :wacko:

12 hours ago, sburke said:

that will be interesting for Japanese.  you need to know gender and relative relationship of the parties involved.  :D  it gets real complicated to do right  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honorific_speech_in_Japanese

Well...a buddy of mine showed me one of those apps a while ago and we tried a few languages...it actually seemed to work pretty ok. We did not try Japanese though.

I could see that the translation into that language will be a bit more difficult because of the reason you mentioned. Many of the apps do however include Japanese in the list of avaliable languages...

https://www.k-international.com/blog/translation-apps-2016/

Perhaps not something to use in an important buisness dinner or when meeting other WIPs but in every day life i guess it will work OKish...

Oooh well...back to Barbarossa i guess ☺️...

I would love to see a 1941/42 period ostfront game from BFC.
I would also love to see a 1939/40 period game from same.
I'm not betting the farm on my ever actually seeing either thing.
BFC is first and foremost a money making venture, aimed at an already small niche market.
The main market is American.
BFC produces what american consumers want.
I dont have to like it.

I'm sure they could sell a 1941/42 period game in Russia. And it would sell well.
But the hassle of publishing in Russian language, is only the beginning of problems. Russian tax laws, postal system, etc....
Is easier to just cater to Americans.

On 1/19/2019 at 7:32 PM, DLaurier said:

The main market is American.
BFC produces what american consumers want.
I dont have to like it.

I'm sure they could sell a 1941/42 period game in Russia. And it would sell well.
But the hassle of publishing in Russian language, is only the beginning of problems. Russian tax laws, postal system, etc....
Is easier to just cater to Americans.

I think the Americans are not all as narrow minded as that. It's an argument that comes up again and again, that Americans would only buy stuff featuring the US, but I think it's not that simple. For mainstream games that need to shift millions of copies, sure. But for niche wargames such as CM, I think many of the people who bought CM Red Thunder are probably Americans..

You can't truly understand German mechanized tactic without researching Barbarossa. Full strength Wermacht on peak of its might against nearly equal Soviet forces: with modern weapons but obsolete tactic. Old fashioned army with separated branches against combined arms Kampfgruppen. In 1944 everyone had understood new style of war, Americans created their tank divisions with task forces, Soviets reorganized tank forces in tank corps. But in 1941 tactical difference was the largest. It makes Barbarossa game interesting for anyone who is interested in WW2 tactic, I think. 

4 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

I think the Americans are not all as narrow minded as that. It's an argument that comes up again and again, that Americans would only buy stuff featuring the US, but I think it's not that simple. For mainstream games that need to shift millions of copies, sure. But for niche wargames such as CM, I think many of the people who bought CM Red Thunder are probably Americans..

I can somewhat agree with you on this. Anyone truly into war gaming would not care as to which front or armies are involved.

But I am afraid that the market sales has proven that there is plenty of casual gamers that will buy these games and for that type of buyer, it appears they are only interested if the game covers their countries forces.

What I am surprised about is how many of these type of sales there must be.

We see this forum, you see the type of people who get on it and you get a perception of the type of people that are buying these games.

But I have come to a conclusion that those on the forum are a small portion of those that buy the game and that as a whole we are not a good cross section of the group that purchases these games.

In the past (20+ years ago) one practically had to pay someone to play the Russians.  Everyone wanted to play the Germans and with their cool black and white SS counters.  One reluctantly played the WAllies.

Something changed in the late 90's so that when CMBO came out that seemed to marked the start of an era where people wanted to play the "good guys" mostly the US, and shockingly to some of us, even the Russians.

It might make a decent PhD thesis regarding trends in wargame design and their relationship to generations, or perhaps economic and social trends in society.

1 hour ago, slysniper said:

I can somewhat agree with you on this. Anyone truly into war gaming would not care as to which front or armies are involved.

But I am afraid that the market sales has proven that there is plenty of casual gamers that will buy these games and for that type of buyer, it appears they are only interested if the game covers their countries forces.

What I am surprised about is how many of these type of sales there must be.

We see this forum, you see the type of people who get on it and you get a perception of the type of people that are buying these games.

But I have come to a conclusion that those on the forum are a small portion of those that buy the game and that as a whole we are not a good cross section of the group that purchases these games.

I don't know for sure, as I don't have access to any sales numbers etc.

But how do casual gamers even discover that CM exists? It's not on Steam. Physical game stores are not a thing any more. Mainstream games sites don't write much about CM.

That leaves Youtube, but take one look at any youtube CM video and the first thing you notice is that it's not a casual game. If I were a casual gamer, I'd just shake my head and go back to Call of War III or whatever it's called nowadays :)

2 hours ago, Erwin said:

In the past (20+ years ago) one practically had to pay someone to play the Russians.  Everyone wanted to play the Germans and with their cool black and white SS counters.  One reluctantly played the WAllies.

Something changed in the late 90's so that when CMBO came out that seemed to marked the start of an era where people wanted to play the "good guys" mostly the US, and shockingly to some of us, even the Russians.

Well, I think that what happened to cause this change was that more and better history of the war started coming out of Russia, so that instead of only reading the pablum put out by German generals after the war about the super-competent but hopelessly outnumbered German heroes vs the inept Red hordes, readers and players could better understand that this was a war to the death between two different, but powerful foes.

I second that, 76mm.   Now that we have so much more data from the Soviet side, things look a lot different.   Post-1941, I do not see how Germans could've won ('won' meaning topple Soviet regime and all eliminate all large-scale organized resistance).   Germans were still very powerful, but could they actually end the war w/o negotiated settlement?   Negotiated settlement in the east was certainly what US & Brits feared,perhaps more than anything else.

2 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

That leaves Youtube, but take one look at any youtube CM video and the first thing you notice is that it's not a casual game. If I were a casual gamer, I'd just shake my head and go back to Call of War III or whatever it's called nowadays :)

??? if they read about the game on a mainstream game site or read about it on steam wouldn't they also realize it's not a casual game and shake their head and go back to their RTS BS?