how do i see the aircraft coming in

You don't. The design concept is that they are flying so high you are not gonna see them when they attack. What you will see (and hear) is the munitions they use  when they strike, plus the sounds of their departure (and approach).

Mord.

The closest you get to 'seeing' aircraft is tracing the flight path of tracers from your AA units and missiles fired in their direction. For helicopters AA rounds are flying very low- near horizon. Then with each aircraft type the AA targeting goes higher and higher until you hit F15 and your Shilka is practically firing straight up.

I actually in one point in testing CMBS identified what I think was the object point representing an airframe.  I had a save showing it, but haven't bothered trying to duplicate as even if it was that it was useless to me for playing the game.  Another interesting experiment is to play around with drones.  They are always represented by an object off map that is irrelevant to the position you denote for them to observe.