Scammer sells 3d models from the game Combat Mission: Black Sea

6 hours ago, vadosrespekt said:

In general, inform the developers that their models are sold on the assetstore https://assetstore.unity.com/publishers/39044 

They probably bought them from that site. I ran into SF1 Models back in 2010ish or so. Specifically the uncon models. Not every company makes their models from scratch. I could be wrong though.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

On 1/11/2019 at 3:41 PM, Mord said:

They probably bought them from that site. I ran into SF1 Models back in 2010ish or so. Specifically the uncon models. Not every company makes their models from scratch. I could be wrong though.

And you be that :)  Only a very few times have we purchased models for use in CM2.  The Uncons were one of those rare exceptions.  I think I remember us buying a couple of Soviet vehicles for use in CMSF1, but wound up either chucking them or completely rebuilding them to suit our needs.  And I have a distant memory of some grouping of industrial knick-knack models which we used for CMSF1 Flavor Objects, but I could be wrong about that.  As far as I can remember we've not bought anything since CMSF1 days and for sure all the Black Sea work was our own.

Steve

33 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

And you be that :)  Only a very few times have we purchased models for use in CM2.  The Uncons were one of those rare exceptions.  I think I remember us buying a couple of Soviet vehicles for use in CMSF1, but wound up either chucking them or completely rebuilding them to suit our needs.  And I have a distant memory of some grouping of industrial knick-knack models which we used for CMSF1 Flavor Objects, but I could be wrong about that.  As far as I can remember we've not bought anything since CMSF1 days and for sure all the Black Sea work was our own.

Steve

See that part at the bottom where it says "edited"? I threw that "I could be wrong" part in at the last minute, just in case. LOL. Glad I did now!

Good to know the Uncons weren't stolen, though. I don't even remember how I found them it was so long ago but it never even occurred to me that they could be stolen. Hard to believe someone would be that scummy to steal other people's hard work and sell it as their own. Punks!

Can they/you go after the guy for posting those? There had to be some kind of info so they could get paid?

Mord.

Edited by Mord

It's possible that the "company" that posted them to Unity didn't know they were stolen as they might have been scammed by an "artist".  The theory is that someone knowingly selling stolen artwork would at least try to obscure that fact by changing the models/textures.  In this case only a few tiny tweaks were done here or there to some models, nothing at all to others.

The takedown request form with Unity was quite straight forward, but didn't ask for much information.  So I'm not sure if we have to go through another round of verification or not.  Hopefully they'll come down quickly.  I assume Unity will notify anybody who bought the models that they have stolen property.  Not sure what will happen with any payments made for the models.  Unless the guilty party is in the US I doubt we'll be able to affect any legal action.  And even then I doubt that would go anywhere.

Steve

I guess getting them taken down is the most important part. Hopefully they didn't sell many, but man they were priced to fly!

Well, I hope the guy that stole them gets a bad case of crotch crickets, the kind that carry switchblades and smoke generic cigarettes. His undies will look like the Saint Valentines Day Massacre and smell like a Biddeford pool hall.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

There have been instances where BFC couldn't locate so much as a rough set of scale plan of a vehicle (a very rare occurrence these days). So what's a guy to do? I sat down and drew up a proper set from-scratch myself, then submitted the art to 3-d artist Webwing to make a model from. I was a scale plans makin' maniac back-in-the-day. Its funny hunting the internet for references and stumbling on my own artwork from 20 years ago. ^_^

Here's something you won't find anywhere else. A V100 Commando armored car configured for domestic police duties. If Steve ever needs it I've got scale plans for it! 

V-100 Police Final.jpg

Edited by MikeyD

Here's another 'won't find anywhere else' piece of art. V150 Commando with Cockrill 90mm gun turret. I'd kill to get this vehicle into a game but there's literally no place in the BFC canon that it could go.

V-150 90mm Cockrill Final.jpg

Edited by MikeyD

1 hour ago, Sequoia said:

Do I remember correctly that Playboy magazine used some BFC art without permission?

Yeah Steve had some shots taken while he was in the Maldives that someone leaked to Hef.  It was only slightly less famous than the Burt Reynolds spread.  :P 

8 hours ago, Sequoia said:

Good joke, but I'm serious. IIRC it was a shot of various IED's Battlefront used to promote CMSF 1 in the store that was used in an article in Playboy. And besides, Burt Reynolds was in Playgirl, not Playboy. :)

Good memory!  Yes, a Greek version of Playboy had promotional artwork from CMSF1 illegally published in an article about insurgents in Iraq.  The images were of different PRGs, IEDs, and small arms, IIRC.  It wasn't worth the bother trying to go after them for it.  If it was the US one, definitely.  Heff would have owed me one :)

Steve

42 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Good memory!  Yes, a Greek version of Playboy had promotional artwork from CMSF1 illegally published in an article about insurgents in Iraq.  The images were of different PRGs, IEDs, and small arms, IIRC.  It wasn't worth the bother trying to go after them for it.  If it was the US one, definitely.  Heff would have owed me one :)

Steve

One what... wait don't answer that, this is a family friendly site.

Funny enough... I was cleaning up my office (I try to do that once every 10 years) and found a box of misc. junk that escaped the last purge.  Guess what was in there?  The Greek Playboy :)  Yup, I have the full thing thanks to the tester who discovered the theft while, er, reading an article.   His name will remain anonymous, though I always did wonder how he wound up with it because he's not Greek.

Steve

1 hour ago, Battlefront.com said:

His name will remain anonymous, though I always did wonder how he wound up with it because he's not Greek.

Maybe he was into Homererotic literature...

Mord.

P.S. That's right I am using it again. Seeing that all you guys ignored it last time it's what you deserve!

Edited by Mord