What I hate in mission combat! (22.5 ° angle road)

Falaise

1 hour ago, Trooper117 said:

So I just bung these in the Z folder and they will straighten those shark teeth road?

Basically what it does is to change the look of the highway, thus a scen designer can use highways instead of narrower roads, which tends to create shark teeth shaped roads. That is if I'm not misunderstanding Falaise's work.

Put another way, as Erwin wrote, "It won't straighten roads in existing scenarios".

Edited by CMFDR
Rephrasing

The stock card editor does not allow for 22.5 ° routes, so map designers are forced to make shark tooth roads to take the paths at this angle.
What I propose is to use a few tiles of the highway that I modified to achieve this type of road.
This is useful to the new map designers or for someone who wants to straighten the roads on existing scenarios.
You must then go to the scenario editor and modify the map according to the  exemple above.

a small example, I modified a map that I like very much that of Pet Wenman in The Crossroad at Monthardrou
modified in 10 minutes
with to the system it can be improved again but in this case it need to prone  tested.
before

190125021851618531.jpg

original

190125022835881267.jpg

modified

190125022943840678.jpg

Edited by Falaise

On 1/25/2019 at 2:25 PM, Falaise said:

a small example, I modified a map that I like very much that of Pet Wenman in The Crossroad at Monthardrou
modified in 10 minutes

Looks lovely, and I think it would be possible to improve it even more with a bit more work. I hope your idea will make it into the official game.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
5 hours ago, Widukind said:

Z folder?

Yes sir. For CM mods, they go in your z folder. Then restart the game! But this particular mod is a special case because it is used by scenario maker at the time of creating the map. Unlike most other mods, it will not make a visual change just by being in the z folder. Unless you have a scenario where it was used to make the map. Then definitely you need this mod in your z.

I am a frequent user of Falaise's 22.5 degree roads in the maps and scenarios that I have designed. The look is great but I have run into some movement issues in some of my scenarios.

I want to reinforce what has already been said, Falaise's 22.5 degree roads are really 'highway' road tiles redrawn to look like paved roads, allowing them to blend in with same. The map designer has to select 'highway' tiles to use them. I have mod-tagged my copy so that my scenarios automatically call them when needed.

The movement issue observed: In one of my scenarios where a 22.5 degree road forms the causeway across the Merderet flood plain between Cauquigny and La Fiere I noticed that both vehicles and infantry have a problem following a long 22.5 degree path. I hypothesize that the issue might be related to the fact that the terrain is composed of square tiles and that all movement is still orthogonal or in multiples of 45 degree diagonal increments - regardless of the road angle. As a result vehicles and troops frequently wander off the road in that scenario unless I use very short movement paths.

Perhaps the original highway tiles disguise this issue by making a normal highway twice as wide as a road. This way the irregularly moving troops do not 'appear' to be leaving the road.

I have noted that Falaise's graphic examples posted above contradict my experience. That is very interesting. I have no answer.

BTW: I continue to uses Falaise's roads as they are a great improvement to map making.

Edited by WimO

1 hour ago, WimO said:

22.5 degree road forms the causeway across the Merderet flood plain between Cauquigny and La Fiere I noticed that both vehicles and infantry have a problem following a long 22.5 degree path

I noticed this too Wim while trying to get my brave Germans across the causeway. That was a tough ask...