Jump to content
Falaise

What I hate in mission combat! (22.5 ° angle road)

Recommended Posts

There are 2 things I hate in mission combat

It 190110022702969904.jpg

and that "shark teeth"

190110022826314798.jpg

As for the distortion in the ploughed fields, Kieme's mod brilliantly solved the problem.

But for shark teeth alas, it is a constraint related to the engine of the game.

Some scenario maker and map maker make a lot of effort to avoid them.

I am thinking of the Bulletpoint "front contact" scenario where no shark teeth are visible, which gives you some of the most beautiful and realistic map. some other map makers , shift the bend two or three turns to avoid the effect of shark teeth.

However for historical scenarios that rely on a precise map of places there is sometimes no choice.

I recently tried the scenario The Carillon 1 It's Quiet-Too Quiet and I noticed this curious road with an unknown angle of 22.5 °

Revelation !!

The author, (I do not know who) is a genius who managed with the highway tiles to do this feat, opening a new field of possibility in the design of the maps.

The only flaw is the visual

So I created this little mod to give a coherent visual.

Now I like everything !!

Road of Carillon

190110024900388882.jpg190110023104689681.jpg

Change on the map of "Liking up and breaking out"

then and now

190110023209196216.jpg190110023243224845.jpg

this one to compare with the one above that I hate

190110030034363533.jpg

the different angles of the road

190110023324714981.jpg

Edited by Falaise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks great, good job Falaise! May I dare to say that you've pocketed it? ;)

What about the pathfinding though, is the AI using the road in all its width?

Meilleurs voeux! 

Edited by CMFDR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, IanL said:

What you did there @Falaise is exactly the recommended practice for creating a map. Nice example.

I think you misunderstood. He's not talking about straightening out regular roads; he's somehow using a modded texture for the highway tiles to create whole new angles for roads. Angles that are not normally possible to achieve. I'm completely surprised this is even possible, and I've been around for years and played loads of scenarios and campaigns. Never seen it done before.

I really wish this would be a standard in the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes Bulletpoint
 it's LongLeftFlank who found the principle.
I just modified the highway texture to coordinate with normal roads

I think it's a real plus to get a nice map

53 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

I really wish this would be a standard in the game. 

I agree with you

Edited by Falaise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Merci beaucoup for the kudos, mon copain.

But I did this work back in 2011 and now in my dotage have no recollection of how it was done, lol. I will have to take a look again sometime, but work (la vice Américain) permits me very little CM time. Désolé.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Falaise said:

yes Bulletpoint
 it's LongLeftFlank who found the principle.
I just modified the highway texture to coordinate with normal roads

I think it's a real plus to get a nice map

I agree with you

So will you post this mod somewhere, Falaise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, Aragorn, I'm going to put also the "disemboweled cow" that you asked me a long time ago!

 

to make the roads, it's very simple as often with good ideas

in "highway" use elements 8 and 10

It assembles like that

190111021812451333.jpg

190111021904404706.jpg

190111021946471853.jpg

190111022044151465.jpg

For the other direction, use 13 and 15 according to the same principle

Edited by Falaise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Falaise said:

Yes, Aragorn, I'm going to put also the "disemboweled cow" that you asked me a long time ago!

 

to make the roads, it's very simple as often with good ideas

in "highway" use elements 8 and 10

It assembles like that

190111021812451333.jpg

190111021904404706.jpg

190111021946471853.jpg

190111022044151465.jpg

For the other direction, use 13 and 15 according to the same principle

Thank you, Falaise. This was one of the few things I didn't like in the editor too. Great find!

Edited by Aragorn2002

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

I think you misunderstood.

Yikes you are correct. I totally miss-understood.

Now that I'm clued in - thanks @Bulletpoint I have a question: do we have clarity that these are actually seen as roads with a new angle by the engine? If they are still a jagged road in the game engine's treatment then this is worse than leaving the jagged road in because vehicles will travel off, on, off, on in terms of the engine but look like they are on a road in terms of the visual. Or if it is treated as grass then the speed will not match with what is expected and wet ground conditions will also give a false sense of being safe on the road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, IanL said:

Now that I'm clued in - thanks @Bulletpoint I have a question: do we have clarity that these are actually seen as roads with a new angle by the engine? If they are still a jagged road in the game engine's treatment then this is worse than leaving the jagged road in because vehicles will travel off, on, off, on in terms of the engine but look like they are on a road in terms of the visual. Or if it is treated as grass then the speed will not match with what is expected and wet ground conditions will also give a false sense of being safe on the road.

I don't know, but you might very well be right. It would decrease speed and raise risk of bogging, especially since road edges are alledgedly bad for bogging.

Should be testable though, by making one of the new roads across muddy terrain and set ground conditions to muddy. Drive a vehicle down the road. If the game thinks the vehicle is actually driving over mud, it will bog very fast.

It's a good example of how this kind of thing works so much better when officially supported by the game than when left to modders. Mods can do a lot, but they have limits and sometimes cause more trouble than they are worth.

So, I'm still hoping to see these kinds of roads in an official CM title one day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



I did a mod taking the color of the road to make the whole visually coherent.
but it's really highway tile that is used so it behaves in the engine as such

Edited by Falaise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2019 at 9:18 PM, Falaise said:

Yes, Aragorn, I'm going to put also the "disemboweled cow" that you asked me a long time ago!

I am aware that l'humour Anglaise is generally as 🙄 with Frenchmen as la cuisine Anglaise.  But, you know...

giphy.gif

"Fetchez la vache!"

https://youtu.be/YV0LGMGuLN0

 

Edited by LongLeftFlank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lol :lol:, j'adore ce film !!

it's a Norman tradition to throw cows !!!!
it must be said that it is very available here in Normandy!!!!

ncc1701e a priori it work with every game where you can make highway

Bonne année à toi aussi, décidément ce thread est très Francophone

Edited by Falaise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice idea, even if it´s only for highways and not smaller roads. Anyway, road ditched wouldn´t work anymore as these are bound to the underlying 1m terrain mesh. I´d use them as... highways off course and city streets and the likes. Vehicle pathfinding should be ok generally I think. I´d appreciate if this mod would be finished and made available for all the CM2 game titles. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi RockinHarry

I'm waiting for the answer from Fewgoodmen, I asked to register on scenario depot to share the mods

it is possible to do it for any type of way but it will be necessary to make a choice !
also it can not be used with maps including a highway

 I only have CMBN
I get look if it's possible to make with demo version for the other titles !


PS: i like your idea to use a bridge to go through building with vehicules
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got a spare hour and used this to 'curve' the St Lo-Cherbourg rail line a bit on my Carillon Nose master map. It looks ugly but tactically it matters, since historically a German PaK40 was emplaced at the St Gilles RN3 crossing, commanding both railbed and road. Google map la Meauffe and you'll see the curves instantly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2019 at 11:29 AM, Falaise said:

Hi RockinHarry

I'm waiting for the answer from Fewgoodmen, I asked to register on scenario depot to share the mods

it is possible to do it for any type of way but it will be necessary to make a choice !
also it can not be used with maps including a highway

 I only have CMBN
I get look if it's possible to make with demo version for the other titles !


PS: i like your idea to use a bridge to go through building with vehicules
 

I´d definitely use it for my maps. Would be nice if BFC anytime considers adding the ability to turn buildings (and other terrain objects) in 15° steps, like it is for flavor objects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...