Where is the 2.01 Patch?

Chops

14 hours ago, Thewood1 said:

Why make your customer have to go through a couple extra steps when fixing a single character on a label as soon as you hear about it would have solved it?  Why make the customer go through more work and aggravation?

Well, it seems to me most people found and installed the patch just fine.

21 minutes ago, General Jack Ripper said:

That's all that ever seems to happen around here anymore.

Maybe I should just delete my forum account, so I don't have to read this crap anymore.

nah there are a few threads like this but there is far more that is fun, interesting and sometimes just down right amusing.  Don't let the few instances where folks just can't seem to let something like this go set the tenor for everything.  A lot of us would be really disappointed to see you not here.  Besides deleting your account won't stop you from visiting.  For myself I am just trying to be more particular to what I reply to and how.  All of the responses to the tempest only add to it.  The guy was answered.  Steve saw it, replied and took some action.  It's done.  Go post some screenshots! :D 

Edited by sburke

6 minutes ago, sburke said:

nah there are a few threads like this but there is far more than is fun, interesting and sometimes just down right amusing.  Don't let the few instances where folks just can't seem to let something like this go set the tenor for everything.  A lot of us would be really disappointed to see you not here.  Besides deleting your account won't stop you from visiting.  For myself I am just trying to be more particular to what I reply to and how.  All of the responses to the tempest only add to it.  The guy was answered.  Steve saw it, replied and took some action.  It's done.  Go post some screenshots! :D 

Yeah.

Maybe I'll just have a drink.

I deal with stuff all day at the Post Office, it just peeves me to come here and see stuff too.

Just now, General Jack Ripper said:

Yeah.

Maybe I'll just have a drink.

I deal with stuff all day at the Post Office, it just peeves me to come here and see stuff too.

I hear that.  Not sure if it is getting older or just some things I am picking up lately about relative importance of stuff.  My best buddy at work was getting set to retire and just before Christmas he fell off a ladder at home and suffered a severe head injury.  He is recovering but it has been touch and go.  Griping about DRMs and what naming convention someone uses just isn't anywhere on my priority list.

On 1/10/2019 at 10:43 PM, Chops said:

Exactly, and it doesn't seem like a good idea for a company to send a customer on a surprise-filled adventure when trying to purchase products or download patches for products.

True, which is why we don't do that.  Did some get confused?  Sure, but that's inevitable to some degree because what is logical to one person isn't logical to another.  Could things have been clearer in this once instance?  I agree it could be.  However, I think it's more than a stretch to take this one instance that you had a problem with and generalize everything else we do.

When I recently saw the new thread "CMSF2 v2.01 Released!"  I went to the Battlefront > Patches download page to see if it was posted.  This page only showed a CMSF2 v2.0 patch link, so I obviously assumed that it was the 2.0 patch.   Initially after looking at the forum and website, it seemed that two patches had been released , v2.0 and v2.01.  As a result, I started this thread in order to locate the 2.01 patch.

See, here's where I'm still scratching my head.  You read a post, by me, that pointed you to the Patches page.  There is one, and only one, link for CMSF2 patch (plus the obvious Campaign file).  Some others were obviously confused, but they presumed the one link there was a typo and clicked on it.  They got the patch right away with a minimum of confusion.  So little, in fact, that they didn't seem to feel the need to post about it here or file a heads up to the Help Desk.  You, on the other hand, opted to not click on the link and instead go hunting all over hill and dale for a link, then come here to open up a thread.  You had the choice between clicking on the link, like others, or creating a thread here.  You made that choice.

What's more, why would you think that there is a "v2.0 patch"?.  There's only one version out there and it is v2.0.  It says that on the webpage you ordered the game from, on the installer you downloaded, and the splash screen every time you launch the game.  You don't have to read the Forum every day to know that.  So why on Earth would you think there was a Patch to get to v2.00 from v2.00? 

I'm not trying to say you are wrong and I'm right.  What I'm doing here is showing that you had choices available to you and what you did with them directly led to your confusion and frustration.

I noticed that the patch download link was just renamed to "for v2.0"  I have no idea what this means. 

Sigh.  You started this thread and I posted to it.  Don't you think you should read my responses?  Because if you had, you wouldn't have asked this question.

Why can't the patch download link just be called v2.01, or better yet v1.01 since it is the first patch for CMSF2?

We chose to number CMSF2 starting with v2.00 in order to avoid confusion with CMSF1's numbering.

This whole thing may seem like no big deal to people that frequent the forums and website on a daily basis, but for someone that does not, this is the end result...confusion and frustration.

I understand that, but please understand that the reaction you've received was do to the way you expressed that confusion and frustration.

Steve

I'm just coming on here again after a while and see that a patch 2.01 has been released apparently?  No, I'm not joking.  So I go on to the 'Patches' page to see what all the fuss is about.  I see no mention of a 2.01 patch under CMSF2...as would be expected by any normal person I think.  I see CMSF2 Engine 4 (for v2.0).  Right off the bat I ask myself 'isn't CMSF2 already Version 4 right out of the box?'  That's confusing.  'For v2.0' just adds to the confusion.  What does that mean?  So, I click the link and I see 'CM2_Win_Shock_Force...'  Still no V 2.01 anywhere in sight unless I hover my cursor over the link for a few seconds, then I see it. 

Had I not visited the forum (no mention on the home page) and read this, I would likely have figured it out, but why the need to solve a puzzle?  Just put  v2.01 right on the Patches page under 'CM2 Shock Force 2'.  If it requires some sort of complex installing just put that in the readme instructions.  This is the way it's been done I think since the early 90's.  Methinks you're overthinking it Steve ;) 

On 1/11/2019 at 6:01 AM, Jock Tamson said:

Have Steve and Derek Smart ever been seen together at the same time?

Seriously?

On 1/11/2019 at 10:35 AM, Thewood1 said:

I'll just beat this horse again...things like the patch page, installs, drm activation, etc all seem so simple if you come to this forum every day, are a beta tester, or constantly install and reinstall.  But for people who might take long absences away from the game, like me at times, coming back in and seeing how a patch page is organized, or not having spelled out exactly what needs to be downloaded, what order serials need to entered, not having enough activations, etc., can be a very frustrating experience for a game that is priced at CM's level.  The help desk is very helpful in resolving issues, but its still frustrating.

A fair point, but also an overstatement of the problem.  The Patch page has been up there for 6 months now.  We've gotten LESS confused customers than we had with the previous page layout.  Perfect?  Obviously not, but based on the reduction in confusion we've seen on the Help Desk it's a major improvement.  And honestly, it was never a big problem with the old system either.  Most people most of the time found what they needed without having to ask for help.

On 1/11/2019 at 10:35 AM, Thewood1 said:

If you look around at the bad rep the BFC gets on some sites, that is the crux of it.

No, that's not it at all.  The people you speak of have axes to grind that go way beyond factual based arguments.  They thrive on negativity and emotion, with very little (if any) interest in objectivity or perspective.  Every single game company has groups like this and their size is proportional to the overall customer base.

On 1/11/2019 at 10:52 PM, Thewood1 said:

You're missing the point.  The wrong name was up there over a week after being pointed out several times across a few threads.  Having to go to the help desk shouldn't have had to happen.  Its just sloppy and exudes a lack of consideration to customers, whether people who read the forum daily, or only play the game. 

It wasn't a typo and apparently nobody who saw the threads you speak of thought it was important enough to make a big fuss over.  Or do the 40,000 person companies drop everything they're doing and rush to make some sort of fix for every single customer complaint that comes in all the time and every time?  I doubt it.

Any company I have worked for, as soon as someone point out something like that, it would have been changed post haste. 

As soon as I was made aware of it I did make a change.  Like the customers you cite, I don't spend all my time reading the Forums and we don't have a staff to do so for me.  Which means sometimes it takes a few days for me to get a heads up by a volunteer.

As I said before, there is some general sloppiness leaking into launches and website execution that I never thought I would see at BFC. 

I'm surprised to hear this.  Given your extremely low opinion of everything Battlefront, and 10 years of voicing the opinion that we're within days of going out of business, I'd have thought you would expect every new thing we did to be worse than the last thing we did before.

BFC used to be all about first time quality.  Its why length of time between patches never used to bother me.  Now, we are seeing months and fractions of a year go by before stuff gets fixed.  I dread seeing any issues in the games because I know it will be a while before it gets fixed.

It's stuff like this that highlights your bias and lack of interest in having a reasoned discussion.  You like to make sweeping, dire statements which are either out of context (like the thread about beta testing) or conveniently omitting evidence that is contrary to your point.  For example, CMSF2 v2.01 came out within a few weeks of release INCLUDING the Christmas break.  That bothers you?

Where you do have a point, despite your bias, is with the Engine 4 patches.  Those should have been out long ago, for sure.  I've apologized for that and we hope that this will be a one off in our very long history of providing patches that both fix problems as well as introduce improvements.

Steve

36 minutes ago, aleader said:

I'm just coming on here again after a while and see that a patch 2.01 has been released apparently?  No, I'm not joking.  So I go on to the 'Patches' page to see what all the fuss is about.  I see no mention of a 2.01 patch under CMSF2...as would be expected by any normal person I think.  I see CMSF2 Engine 4 (for v2.0).  Right off the bat I ask myself 'isn't CMSF2 already Version 4 right out of the box?'  That's confusing.  'For v2.0' just adds to the confusion.  What does that mean?  So, I click the link and I see 'CM2_Win_Shock_Force...'  Still no V 2.01 anywhere in sight unless I hover my cursor over the link for a few seconds, then I see it. 

Had I not visited the forum (no mention on the home page) and read this, I would likely have figured it out, but why the need to solve a puzzle?  Just put  v2.01 right on the Patches page under 'CM2 Shock Force 2'.  If it requires some sort of complex installing just put that in the readme instructions.  This is the way it's been done I think since the early 90's.  Methinks you're overthinking it Steve ;)

Well, sometimes that happens :D

The problem I face is that the other links are done using the same logic.  And those links have not had any complaints brought to my attention. With the old system players would hit a wall of patch versions, get confused, download the wrong thing, then get frustrated, and then go to the Help Desk to get things sorted out.  That has largely disappeared with the new system, so from our perspective the current system is the better one.

But then CMSF2 came into the mix and it is different than all the rest.  It's the only game with only one patch.  Even though the logic for labeling all the patches is 100% consistent, the CMSF2 patch looks odd.

So I'm faced with a bit of a problem.  Either the CMSF2 link breaks with the logic of all the other patches or I have to change the logic for all the other patch links to be consistent with whatever I choose to do for CMSF2.  Up until now I've valued consistency, but it seems I need to make an exception.  I'll do that now.

Steve

P.S. I HATE the fact that Shrefile forces the links to be shown in large icon format without adequate space for file names.  Unfortunately, I can't change that and my requests to them for a default setting have gone ignored.  All I can do is seen in the text at the top of the Patch page.

On 1/12/2019 at 6:41 PM, sburke said:

I hear that.  Not sure if it is getting older or just some things I am picking up lately about relative importance of stuff.  My best buddy at work was getting set to retire and just before Christmas he fell off a ladder at home and suffered a severe head injury.  He is recovering but it has been touch and go.  Griping about DRMs and what naming convention someone uses just isn't anywhere on my priority list.

I suppose now would not be the best time to bring up the improper Constellations & lack of the Milky Way during night battles?

38 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

P.S. I HATE the fact that Shrefile forces the links to be shown in large icon format without adequate space for file names.  Unfortunately, I can't change that and my requests to them for a default setting have gone ignored.  All I can do is seen in the text at the top of the Patch page.

There's a button right on the top of the page to change from that large icon format to list format, where you get the whole filename and the confusion is gone. It's not even hidden. 🙂

3 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

So I'm faced with a bit of a problem.  Either the CMSF2 link breaks with the logic of all the other patches or I have to change the logic for all the other patch links to be consistent with whatever I choose to do for CMSF2.  Up until now I've valued consistency, but it seems I need to make an exception.  I'll do that now.

Steve

Thanks for listening to customer feedback, and making changes to the Patches > Download link for CMSF2.  I hope it helps future customers.  In order to show my appreciation I just purchased the game.

14 minutes ago, Chops said:

Thanks for listening to customer feedback, and making changes to the Patches > Download link for CMSF2.  I hope it helps future customers.  In order to show my appreciation I just purchased the game.

And thank you for that.

I hope some of the critics can see yet another example of how we operate for the better of everybody.  Even when a good point is made roughly, I still listen.  Even when I push back, I still listen.  Even when I propose a fix, I still listen.  Prove to me there's a better way and I'll do my best to get it done.

Steve

2 hours ago, sburke said:

What?  Is Orion displayed incorrectly?  Damn it, the game is broken!

You laugh & yet how many budding Astronomers have been turned away from purchasing CM because of such failures by BFC?

Tens of thousands is my guess...which translates into millions of Dollars worth of sales!

1 hour ago, 37mm said:

You laugh & yet how many budding Astronomers have been turned away from purchasing CM because of such failures by BFC?

Tens of thousands is my guess...which translates into millions of Dollars worth of sales!

Screw the Astronomers.  They are a grumpy crowd these days, what with Pluto and all.  However, we should take a look at fixing it because we do want to appeal to Astrologers.  There's far more of them than Astronomers, so we're going to stake our future on appealing to them!  Our next release will be based on a fictional version of Operation Mars, which we'll entitle Operation Mars in Taurus to appeal to our new target audience.  We will be shameless in our pandering!

Steve

On 1/12/2019 at 7:41 PM, sburke said:

Hope your buddy will recover in good order!

I think it is absolutely normal to question relative importance of stuff and be conscious about (not) getting worked up about trivial things. Not only when one has managed to reach your respectable age 😀

BTW: 'Tempest in a Teapot' sounds like a great name for a fictional CMSF2 scenario! 'A British convoy supplying tea and new pots for the BN CO and HQ company has been ambushed by irregular forces. Lance Corporal Brian is ordered to lead a QRF to recapture these vital supplies and bring them to BN HQ before noon. The success of the ongoing operation is in your hands.' 😜

12 hours ago, 37mm said:

I suppose now would not be the best time to bring up the improper Constellations & lack of the Milky Way during night battles?

:D

I too noticed that I couldn't find any constellations that I recognized, but missed the whole Milky Way thing altogether. Was it present in earlier families? I hadn't noticed.

Michael

22 minutes ago, Lethaface said:

Hope your buddy will recover in good order!

I think it is absolutely normal to question relative importance of stuff and be conscious about (not) getting worked up about trivial things. Not only when one has managed to reach your respectable age 😀

BTW: 'Tempest in a Teapot' sounds like a great name for a fictional CMSF2 scenario! 'A British convoy supplying tea and new pots for the BN CO and HQ company has been ambushed by irregular forces. Lance Corporal Brian is ordered to lead a QRF to recapture these vital supplies and bring them to BN HQ before noon. The success of the ongoing operation is in your hands.' 😜

Totally not credible, The British Army has this wonderful invention fitted as standard:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_vessel

7 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Screw the Astronomers.  They are a grumpy crowd these days, what with Pluto and all.  However, we should take a look at fixing it because we do want to appeal to Astrologers.  There's far more of them than Astronomers, so we're going to stake our future on appealing to them!  Our next release will be based on a fictional version of Operation Mars, which we'll entitle Operation Mars in Taurus to appeal to our new target audience.  We will be shameless in our pandering!

Steve

Operation Mars... in Taurus?

In Taurus?

In TAURUS?

This is the worst thing I've heard since the Denver Draftdodgers beat the Louisiana Black Socks!

You plan to launch a major Soviet offensive under a sign ruled by Venus... a Love Goddess?

The real Operation Mars was launched in Sagittarius! A fire sign!

The real Stavka may have been cruel & ruthless... but at least they knew their astrology.

Can you say the same thing, Steve?

Can you?