Calling all Metal Heads

Mord

20 hours ago, Mord said:

I almost posted the Sabbath ridiculousness in the "Never say you've seen it all thread". I came across it a couple days ago.

I bought Bolt Thrower's debut album when it came out but didn't care for them. White Dwarf (Games Workshop) pushed them. I had the issue with the Sabbat flexi disc in it back in 87 (Blood for the Blood God). Then a year or two down the road they did something with Bolt Thrower. I bout the tape without ever hearing them because of the WD connection.

Speaking of Sabbath cover bands. These guys here impressed the hell out of me.

I think if people start posting all the Sabbath derivatives, we'd exhaust the thread -- and then maybe the forum. That Sabbath cover band shocked me -- frontman sounds exactly like Ozzy.

I'd say Bolt Thrower's first album is probably their weakest, very rough demo. They got better and better as time went on. For Victory and IVth Crusade are probably my favourite ones -- but I'd recommend Mercenary and Those Once Loyal just as easily. I'll admit, I first heard of them when I saw the Realms of Chaos album cover. It was love at first sight.

Also... I haven't heard of Stratovarius in a while. Bumped into one of their records by chance, I really don't mind a more melodic Cynic.

Another cheap shot, the prequel to CM: Black Sea:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, DerKommissar said:

That Sabbath cover band shocked me -- frontman sounds exactly like Ozzy.

The guy is incredible. He nails Ozzy's voice from that era. Band was great too. I'd pay good money to see those dudes. They are the best Sabbath cover band I've ever heard. My buddy was like, if I wasn't looking at the screen I'd think that was Sabbath.

I think my biggest problem with Bolt Thrower is the singing. The closest I ever got to those kind of vocals was Celtic Frost.

Stratovarious is one of those bands I can take or leave. I like some of their stuff, mostly off Dreamspace. 4th Reich is just a killer song period. I like the ethereal spacey feel of it. I am pretty sure I saw them. I'd have to check my tickets.

Never heard Cynic before. I just listened to "Humanoid". I liked it. They remind me of Spiral Architect but I am not sure why, they don't sound like them. I think mostly for the style of Metal that it is.

Megadeth was my fist show ever. Saw them with Flotsam and Jetsam on the Peace Sells tour.

Saw Maiden with Motorhead and Dio. It was a good time.

SoH is my favorite Slayer album. Seen them three times. First time I caught them was at Clash of The Titans, with Megadeth, Anthrax and Alice In Chains. Met them the third time I saw them. Kerry King was a dick!

Anyway, good choices. Nothing wrong with throwing some classics in the mix.

What country are you in, BTW?

Mord.

23 hours ago, Mord said:

The guy is incredible. He nails Ozzy's voice from that era. Band was great too. I'd pay good money to see those dudes. They are the best Sabbath cover band I've ever heard. My buddy was like, if I wasn't looking at the screen I'd think that was Sabbath.

I think my biggest problem with Bolt Thrower is the singing. The closest I ever got to those kind of vocals was Celtic Frost.

Stratovarious is one of those bands I can take or leave. I like some of their stuff, mostly off Dreamspace. 4th Reich is just a killer song period. I like the ethereal spacey feel of it. I am pretty sure I saw them. I'd have to check my tickets.

Never heard Cynic before. I just listened to "Humanoid". I liked it. They remind me of Spiral Architect but I am not sure why, they don't sound like them. I think mostly for the style of Metal that it is.

Megadeth was my fist show ever. Saw them with Flotsam and Jetsam on the Peace Sells tour.

Saw Maiden with Motorhead and Dio. It was a good time.

SoH is my favorite Slayer album. Seen them three times. First time I caught them was at Clash of The Titans, with Megadeth, Anthrax and Alice In Chains. Met them the third time I saw them. Kerry King was a dick.

What country are you in, BTW?

Yeah, most Sabbath cover band frontmen make themselves look like Ozzy from that era. This guy didn't, which made me confused -- at first. Once I heard the sound coming out of him, I realized he didn't need to dress up.

I feel you in regards to that style of vocals. It was an acquired taste for me. I used to be turned off by it, but I got used to it. Some are better than others, and I think Bolt Thrower is one of the better ones. This being said, I prefer clean vocals -- virtually every time. The only thing I remember about Spiral Architect is they sound like Cynic xD.

Check this: my first concert was Judas Priest, Motorhead, Heaven & Hell and Testament. The punch line is that I was mostly interested in Testament, back then (was 13 and my Dad took me to the concert xD). You can only imagine how much my expectations were exceeded, and what sort of impression that left. I'm so glad I got to see Dio and Lemmy before their deaths (RIP). I saw Megadeth, Metallica and Slayer together -- and guess who took Anthrax's deserved place? Testament. Big fan of Anthrax, but Belladonna wasn't there at the time -- and non-Joey Anthrax is a travesty to me.

I missed a Sabbath concert 'cause I was in Uni and was more poor than a homeless person. I should have sold a kidney, in retrospect. Never saw Maiden either, which will change this year.

I feel like Kerry F-ing King just acts like a dick 'cause that's his image.

I'm from North Montana, AKA the Dominion of Canada.

Here's one to start the endless moshpit that are genre arguments:

3 hours ago, DerKommissar said:

Check this: my first concert was Judas Priest, Motorhead, Heaven & Hell and Testament.

That's a sweet line up! I never did get to see Priest.

Saw Testament in 99. I turned to my buddy and said why is Chuck Billy standing on the amps. Then I realized he wasn't!

98-99 was one helluva a year for seeing live music. We saw a lot of bands in that time span.

I'm so glad I got to see Dio and Lemmy before their deaths (RIP).

Let me tell you something about RDJ. We saw him in a small club in Pasadena Md in 98 or 99. After the show a bunch of people lined up out back at his tour bus to meet him. He came out and started shaking hands and signing cds and albums. After about ten minutes his handlers started telling him they had to go and he kept replying that they could wait until he was finished. I was standing with a roadie talking and he said the night before Dio met about a 150 fans and signed autographs for them. And he didn't leave the night we saw him until he'd met everyone in that parking lot that had been in line. He was the real deal and truly appreciated the people he knew gave him the life he was living. You hear a lot of these guys talk s*** about loving the fans but he really did. I personally didn't meet him, just watched my friends and other fans do it and I'll never forget how gracious and friendly he was. He was a great man and very generous with his time.

Big fan of Anthrax, but Belladonna wasn't there at the time -- and non-Joey Anthrax is a travesty to me.

Seen Anthrax in 88 in Portland Me, then the CoT tour I mentioned, and then at the state fair in Md with John Bush singing, White Zombie opened for them, I think that was 92. And yeah, much better with Joey. Though I did get to see Bush in his natural state a couple years back fronting Armored Saint again!

I missed a Sabbath concert 'cause I was in Uni and was more poor than a homeless person. I should have sold a kidney, in retrospect.

Yeah, that SUCKS!

They were one of my greatest concert moments along with finally seeing The Cars. I saw Sabbath at Ozzfest in 96 or 97 at the Nissan Pavilion in Virginia. Then I was supposed to see them a couple days before my 30th birthday in 99 but they cancelled and we ended up seeing them a month or so later. That was in Philadelphia. Bill Ward was with them that time. I never thought I'd see them. I knew the words to the entire Paranoid album when I was seven. My brother used to play that album non-stop. So, it was cool seeing them twice.

I feel like Kerry F-ing King just acts like a dick 'cause that's his image.

We ignored his attitude and he eventually calmed down. Tom and Jeff were way cooler and very friendly. LOL. It took us like three hours to get everyone's autograph. I missed work the next day.

BoC! They were the very first band I ever met (same club I saw Dio at). Some chick dragged me along with her and broke my cherry. They were pretty s****y dudes. Very uppity. But after that I started getting autographs when I saw bands.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

2 hours ago, Sublime said:

Celtic frost rocks mord. So does mastodon

Killswitch engage?

Any hardcore or punk?

Yeah, Celtic Frost was one of the bands that made me a Metal Head. After I heard Master of Puppets in 86 I was like where has this s*** been all my life? And I started seeking out Speed/Power/Thrash stuff. I actually bought them because I loved the cover on the cassette. Back then there was no way to hear new bands unless you took a leap with your very light wallet or your buddies passed you a mixed tape.

I just checked out Mastadon "Motherload" and liked it. I am gonna check out more of their stuff. Killswitch Engaged, and the other stuff you mentioned before just doesn't speak to me. If you listen to any of what I have been listing and then some of these bands like Hatebreed etc. You can tell the difference in the styles. Metal is like obscenity, I know it when I hear it LOL. A lot of those bands just aren't Metal to me. They are heavy, yes, but different. An offshoot that's just never captured me. kinda like Grunge. I just could never identify with it. That's why I agreed that it was an age thing. A lot of my buddies feel the same way. There's something to be said having grown up with a lot of it as it came out. I don't know how to describe it. But there's definitely a traditional sound a lot of these newer (90s on) bands just don't have that's important to me.

I listened to some Punk growing up. Seen The Ramones twice, got in a fight at a Butthole Surfers concert. That's pretty punk LOL. My buddy was a big Dead Kennedys fan when we were kids so they were played a lot. I leaned more toward New Wave which evolved out of Punk, Adam Ant, The Fixx, The Cars, Gary Numan, Human League, Ultravox, Kraftwerk, Devo, B52s, stuff like that. But I'd have to say The Ramones is my favorite Punk band. Been into them since I was 14.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

This came out in 2003. Not exactly new, but newer than a band that established their sound in the late 70s or 80s. See if you can hear what I am trying to say about that traditional sound that I talked about.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

1 hour ago, Mord said:

That's a sweet line up! I never did get to see Priest.

Dude, you have to. They put on a crazy show. They did their Nostradamus album at the time, and I have to say it sounded better live. Obviously you can't beat Painkiller or Breaking da Law live!

1 hour ago, Mord said:

He was a great man and very generous with his time.

It's hard to believe that a music prodigy can be so humble and kind, these days. You're not the first person I've heard say this, either.

1 hour ago, Mord said:

Though I did get to see Bush in his natural state a couple years back fronting Armored Saint again!

I actually think Bush is a decent vocalist. He's just not the Anthrax vocalist. Armored Saint is pretty good.

1 hour ago, Mord said:

They were one of my greatest concert moments along with finally seeing The Cars.

Yeah, a shame. It was the original line-up too. The Cars? Like Moving in Stereo Cars?

1 hour ago, Mord said:

Tom and Jeff were way cooler and very friendly.

Yeah, they're the more mature ones of the bunch. RIP Jeff, too. He was only 49 when he passed -- too soon. Avid military history enthusiast to boot.

2 hours ago, Sublime said:

Celtic frost rocks mord. So does mastodon

Killswitch engage?

Any hardcore or punk?

Yeah, those were the bands that were popular when I was growing up. Crack the Skye is a sweet album. Not a huge fan of Killswitch -- though I did like their Holy Diver cover.

Oh, I listen to a crazy amount of hardcore and punk (Dead Kennedys, Exploited, Discharge, Black Flag, NoFX, Bad Religion, Clash, Minor Threat...). Lots of ska/punk as well, Talco being a personal favourite. But I dare not post punk/hardcore/ska in a metal thread -- I value my limbs intact.

43 minutes ago, Mord said:

Master of Puppets in 86 I was like where has this s*** been all my life?

Master of Puppies is absolutely superb. Cliff Burton RIP -- another legend gone before his time. He was Metallica for me. Not a huge fan of their records post Burton.

Applicable to pretty much any CM game.

45 minutes ago, Mord said:

I leaned more toward New Wave which evolved out of Punk, Adam Ant, The Fixx, The Cars, Gary Numan, Human League, Ultravox, Kraftwerk, Devo, B52s, stuff like that.

Yeah, I listen to a lot of synthwave (it's made a come back). Gary Numan, Human League, B52s and Kraftwerk are all on flash memory in my car. Gary Numan's another remarkable dude. Guy flies WW2 planes and still puts out records. VERY good records, I must say.

B02cQ1jCUAAbtFn.jpg

I was thinking of starting a Calling All Rivet Heads thread. My CM soundtrack is mostly Industrial (old & new) and EBM.

1 hour ago, DerKommissar said:

Dude, you have to. They put on a crazy show. They did their Nostradamus album at the time, and I have to say it sounded better live. Obviously you can't beat Painkiller or Breaking da Law live!

A friend of mine was into them when I was 14. He went and saw them on Defenders of the Faith. I told my mom that he had went and she was like why didn't you go? I was thinking you don't even let me leave the house after dark it never even occurred to me to ask to go to a concert! So, technically that could've been my first show ever! That would've been a good one to put on the resume. I also missed Deep Purple's Perfect Strangers tour because I was out of state. My cousin had a ticket for me. That also would've been a first concert.

Yeah, a shame. It was the original line-up too. The Cars? Like Moving in Stereo Cars?

I had that happen with Gordon Lightfoot and Alan Parsons (though I've seen Gord three times and AP once). They are two of my favorites. And it sure does blow sitting around that night knowing they are playing and you are stuck at home!

I've got one that tops both of our miseries, though. WAAAAAAY worse. In 87 Pink Floyd got back together. Everybody I knew got tickets including me. We ended up moving so I put the ticket in a safe place so I wouldn't lose it. Come concert time a few months down the road and I couldn't remember where I hid the ticket. I ended up missing the show. Flash forward a year or so and my brother is visiting and is reading one of my Conan comics. He says "Pink Floyd, what's this?" and holds up the ticket! I had a ton of Conan comics and he happens to grab THE one. I told him it would've been better if it had stayed lost! That show was 28 bucks! I missed a 28 dollar Floyd concert because of a comic book and my stupidity! You probably couldn't buy three beers at a concert for 28 bucks now.

Yep. THE Cars. My all time favorite band ever. I have a buddy, and he used to love telling me how he saw them a bunch of times, especially on the Candy O tour. My all time favorite album. "Did I ever tell you about the time I saw The Cars on the Candy O tour?" So, when they came around in 2011 I got on the phone and was like WE ARE GOING I DON'T CARE WHAT THE TICKETS COST! It was hard seeing them without Benjamin Orr, but they left his mic stand on stage which was a nice tribute.

Master of Puppies is absolutely superb. Cliff Burton RIP -- another legend gone before his time. He was Metallica for me. Not a huge fan of their records post Burton. 

Yep. That album single-handedly did what Def Leppard, Judas Priest, Krokus, Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, and Motley Crew couldn't — it instantly made me a Metal Head. I went nuts after that. Yeah, then he was killed three months after I discovered them. I saw them on the Injustice tour and lost interest in anything after that. The guy I mentioned above seen them on Kill'em All and Ride The Lightening!

Yeah, I listen to a lot of synthwave (it's made a come back).

A couple years back I started doing searches on Youtube for Synth bands from that era that I may have missed and found some pretty cool stuff. I'll PM you some links if your interested.

You cheated. But I did say no NUmetal not NUman. LOL. NICE!

Mord.

Edited by Mord

On 1/9/2019 at 5:11 PM, Sublime said:

Well besides sublime..

Yeah, I assumed that band was your namesake. xD

On 1/9/2019 at 4:29 PM, Mord said:

A couple years back I started doing searches on Youtube for Synth bands from that era that I may have missed and found some pretty cool stuff. I'll PM you some links if your interested.

You cheated. But I did say no NUmetal not NUman. LOL. NICE!

Always keeping an ear out for new music, friend. I'd very welcome more synthwave, I was pretty obsessed with it in 2017.

Introducing the new subgenre: Nonu Metal

Here is one of the first bands I got into. Especially appropriate for modern CMs:

Thought you'd appreciate this Mord  

As their tank approached the final checkpoint on Highway 8, Lieutenant Gruneisen’s crew was blasting the heavy metal song “Creeping Death” by Metallica on speakers inside the turret.

They had nicknamed their Abrams Creeping Death because they all loved the song, which they thought evoked something sinister and lethal.

Zucchino, David. Thunder Run: The Armored Strike to Capture Baghdad (p. 18). Grove/Atlantic, Inc.. 

On 1/18/2019 at 9:40 PM, sburke said:

They had nicknamed their Abrams Creeping Death because they all loved the song, which they thought evoked something sinister and lethal.

Has heavy biblical overtones as well considering it's about Ramses calling down the Angel of Death. Yet another thing I've always liked about metal a lot of it's pretty cerebral if you pay attention. And of course some of it's just about drinking and screwing LOL.

Mord.