CMSF2 v2.01 Released!

On 1/8/2019 at 7:35 PM, Battlefront.com said:

Quick responses...

I only saw the portrait report late in the patch cycle and punted a fix into the mix that should have fixed it.  I guess not :(  Must be something in the code that needs to be tweaked, not the TO&E side of things.  I submitted a fresh report on those.

I did fix an issue with Syrian AT uniforms, but apparently I missed that location.  CM was never designed to handle the subtlety of uniform mixes we've since introduced, so it's sometimes a royal PTIA to straighten out.  I'll get it fixed.

I'll check into the possibility that an PRG choice might be requiring a Module.  What surprises me is that you are getting the option in the Editor even though you don't own the Module.  Plus, the PRG-7 should be available to Syrian Special Forces Company from the Base Game.

The M320 might be baked into some scenarios. We muscled through some pretty confusing coding stuff to get it straightened out, so it might not work for things already made.  Reworking scenarios, not to mention campaigns, is not a trivial thing to do so we stay away from doing that if at all possible.

Steve

Just to make sure: did you see the issue about PKM ammo? As far as I can tell all PKM's held in squads that aren't dedicated MG's only have 100 rounds of 7.62x54R available. So in any scenario or QB without vehicles borne acquired ammo, Syrian squads will only enjoy their MG for a couple of bursts. Not sure whether the AI can acquire ammo from vehicles, but if not Syrian squads are imo sort of 'significantly affected'; the MG is an important asset of any infantry squad. 

On 1/9/2019 at 11:32 PM, IanL said:

There is a feature for the campaign where the author can set the likely hood of vehicles being repaired between battles. A low likely hood simulates a tight timeline where the next battle quickly follows the first. A high likely hood simulates a longer time-fame where damaged vehicles can be recovered, repaired and returned to the fight.

As @George MC says sometimes the damage is extensive so the repair is a percentage chance not a certainty.

As far as I am aware the "bogged" status can appear when moving wheeled vehicles over sand surfaces. The "bogged" status then can turn into "immobilized" to simulate that the wheels dug themselves in and the vehicle can't free itself. Why would there be any extensive damage to critical components like the engine?

This feature is alright to add some tension to the mission. Forces you to adapt but taking out the vehicle for the remainder of the campaign is just bloody annoying. It is an arbitrary unit loss without any influence from the player.

1 hour ago, RexSaur said:

As far as I am aware the "bogged" status can appear when moving wheeled vehicles over sand surfaces. The "bogged" status then can turn into "immobilized" to simulate that the wheels dug themselves in and the vehicle can't free itself. Why would there be any extensive damage to critical components like the engine?

This feature is alright to add some tension to the mission. Forces you to adapt but taking out the vehicle for the remainder of the campaign is just bloody annoying. It is an arbitrary unit loss without any influence from the player.

"Immobilized" can be a number of things, not just "stuck." Any component on a vehicle can fail. A tracked vehicle can throw a track, especially if muddy and not cleaned or properly maintained. An axel can break if it has high time on it. An engine can be over-revved, or over-heated and throw a piston. A transmission can fail. Most of those things can take hours to fix, which is beyond the time allotted to the mission.

12 hours ago, Vet 0369 said:

Most of those things can take hours to fix, which is beyond the time allotted to the mission.

I think he's speaking in terms beyond a couple of hours, as in lost over the duration of a campaign.

Mord.

1 minute ago, Mord said:

I think he's speaking in terms beyond a couple of hours, as in lost over the duration of a campaign.

Mord.

Yes, you're right of course. However, the premise still stands, even in a campaign. In real life, you don't get replacements right away. It can take days or sometimes weeks to bring a unit back up to full strength. In our modern forces, there is no "Repo Depot" waiting to send in new replacements. If a unit is reduced to below combat effective, the entire unit is usually rotated out. Units train together, and while individual Marines or Soldiers might be replaced piecemeal, I don't believe vehicles are. Of course, my experience and knowledge is from an earlier era, and things might have changed, and my memories of 40 -50 years ago might not be as lucid as they could be🙄

2 minutes ago, Mord said:

Good point. But I was thinking in terms of the entire series. Does it work the same way for BN or FI? I haven't played any campaigns as far as I remember.

Mord.

If I remember correctly, all of the campaigns use the concept of "core units" where's specific selection is identified as "core" throughout the game. When you suffer casualties or vehicle losses, the casualties or losses carryover through the campaign. Some times even ammo resupply is limited. Resupply is determined by the campaign designer. Most times, the designer doesn't identify the core units, and might even leave them out of a subsequent mission so the player can't identify the core and use other units as cannon fodder to preserve their core units.

1 minute ago, Vet 0369 said:

Most times, the designer doesn't identify the core units, and might even leave them out of a subsequent mission so the player can't identify the core and use other units as cannon fodder to preserve their core units.

Nice! That's a good tactic. I know a little about campaigns but not much. I've spent so much time modding over the years it sucks up a lot of even my regular scenario playing time. There are so many ways to enjoy CM it's hard to cover them all. But one day I will get some campaigns under my belt.

Mord.

Yes, this mechanism is the same for campaigns in all games in the series. If you want to simulate battles taking place right after each other then set it to a low chance of repair to simulate that only vehicles that were just stuck and needed minor assistance were able to make it to the next battle. Or it you want to simulate battles separated by days set it to a higher value to represent that there is plenty of for repair or replacement.

I like campaigns. I use them to learn the capabilities of the different Red and Blue forces. In CMBS, I've played the US campaign and I'm on the last mission of the Russian campaign. The Ukraine campaign will be next. I play H2H with a friend, and we'll generally alternate Red and Blue sides. Playing the campaign allows me to learn the capabilities and weaknesses of each force. Also, most campaigns can be replayed. The pathing to the next mission can change based on the victory or a decision the user makes. Plus, the campaigns tend to start with a "relatively easy" mission, and become progressively more difficult. Great learning tool.

Edited by Vet 0369

On 1/12/2019 at 12:11 PM, Vet 0369 said:

"Immobilized" can be a number of things, not just "stuck." Any component on a vehicle can fail. A tracked vehicle can throw a track, especially if muddy and not cleaned or properly maintained. An axel can break if it has high time on it. An engine can be over-revved, or over-heated and throw a piston. A transmission can fail. Most of those things can take hours to fix, which is beyond the time allotted to the mission.

This is from the game manual, section "Ground conditions, bogging and immobilization":

When issuing Movement commands, keep in mind the ground condition that you
want to order a unit to move over. All vehicles are rated for Offroad performance.
To some degree better quality crews lessen the chance of bogging. However, if
you order a non-tracked personnel carrier to move across a muddy field the best
crew in the world won’t likely help you out much.
[...]
Bogged vehicles display a “Bogged” marker in their unit panel, and are not able to
move. Bogged units attempt to un-bog themselves automatically. This may fail,
however, and lead to a permanent immobilization.

According to the manual bogging is related to ground conditions and not mechanical failures.

1 hour ago, RexSaur said:

According to the manual bogging is related to ground conditions and not mechanical failures.

Bogging is ground conditions.  Immobilization is what happens when trying to move when bogged.  That may mean something much different than you are assuming. It does not necessarily mean you are just too deep in the mud and need to be towed and more importantly after 12 years they are not going to change the mechanics of this. :P As replacement vehicles is a setting for campaigns the designer gets to decide what is going to be the long term impact.

SF1 did not have the "bog feature" and I really don't mind it if it wouldn't screw up the remainder of the campaign. The mission summary screen tells me I didn't loose any vehicle yet in the next mission my guys have to walk. That is why it looks like a bug. It is a totally arbritrary way of taking out one of your units just because of "**** you". If that is how it is intended well then so be it.

3 hours ago, RexSaur said:

SF1 did not have the "bog feature" and I really don't mind it if it wouldn't screw up the remainder of the campaign. The mission summary screen tells me I didn't loose any vehicle yet in the next mission my guys have to walk. That is why it looks like a bug. It is a totally arbritrary way of taking out one of your units just because of "**** you". If that is how it is intended well then so be it.

What?  It absolutely does have bog and immobilization.  A 5 second test would have shown you that.  This is the fun thing on this forum when folks assert something as fact.... and well it isn't.

bogged.jpg

Immobilized.jpg

4 hours ago, RexSaur said:

Well, I might be wrong, and probably am, but I don't remember ever seeing an "immobilized" listing in the "Summary Screen." I believe the Summary Screen lists only vehicles that have been knocked out or destroyed. A vehicle that's immobilized  from damage cause by trying to get out of a bogging, is still "out of service," and might take a while to be repaired and returned to service. Depending on the game time between missions, the campaign designer might decide to not replenish or repair core vehicles if the time is too short. That is up to the campaign designer, not the game coding. Believe it or not, and contrary to how it appears on the news media, most fighting isn't continuous, and troops can go days, weeks, or even months without a shot being fired. Checkout the date differences between the two scenarios to see how long the units have to "rest, refit, and resupply" between the missions. If you still feel that it's a bug, by all means pull  together your saved files and other documentation, and send them to @sburke.

A bit off topic, but if any of you get the chance, watch the new WWI documentary "They Shall Not Grow Old" by Peter Jackson ("Lord of the Rings"). It's mind-blowing! My wife, son, and I went because both of my Grandfathers fought in WWI, one in the U.S. Cavalry, and the other in the U.S. Air Service.

Edited by Vet 0369

15 hours ago, sburke said:

What?  It absolutely does have bog and immobilization.  A 5 second test would have shown you that.  This is the fun thing on this forum when folks assert something as fact.... and well it isn't.

That is interesting. My memory might fool me but I can't remember having a bogged vehicle in CMSF1. I checked the CMSF1 manual and it does not mention such a feature. Was that patched in at a later stage?

10 hours ago, RexSaur said:

That is interesting. My memory might fool me but I can't remember having a bogged vehicle in CMSF1. I checked the CMSF1 manual and it does not mention such a feature. Was that patched in at a later stage?

Hey no fair!!  Challenging my memory like that is just cruel. Have you no respect for your elders? Yeah sure I am nowhere near as old as Emrys, still.   Seriously I don't know if it was in the initial release or added later.

Checking the patch notes I found the following so I assume the behavior was right from the start.  On a side note looking through CMSF patch notes is kind of interesting.  Gives some perspective on how far the game has come.

V1.11 PATCH FEATURE LIST

Turn-Based Replay
• Turn-based action is pre-computed with a "blue bar" before the action is displayed. This allows for improved performance of large battles on older computers, and for convenient "skipping ahead" in the early turns of a battle before enemy contact. 
• Craters, vehicle bog status, damaged buildings, walls, and trees display correctly (not too early). 

16 hours ago, RexSaur said:

My memory might fool me but I can't remember...

6 hours ago, sburke said:

Hey no fair!!  Challenging my memory like that is just cruel. Have you no respect for your elders? Yeah sure I am nowhere near as old as Emrys, still.  

I wouldn't worry about your memory, sburke.

Rex's name has dinosaur written all over it!

• 1 month later...
On 1/5/2019 at 8:57 PM, Lethaface said:

You seem to be right, I had assumed they had been moved to the mech section.

Nope, all BMP3´s are gone. Airborne unit is in inf tab and only without the BMP3.

Cant even buy the BMP3 as a singel Vehikel or use it as upgrade for guard mech battalions.

I checkt in the mission editor and the formation is there available but not for quick battles.

And yes i do have all moduls installed.

Airborne Syrian BMP3 formation got erased from the quick battle tab.