CM2 finally runs under Linux with Wine

As a Linux user I sometimes look through WineHQ for capabilities of running some Windows stuff in my favourite OS. Last week I've found that there is a Wine patch that enable run CM2. It seems that it passed unnoticed, so I'm writing it here.

So far, I've tested demo versions of CMRT, CMFI and CMBS and on my 8-year-old laptop (Linux Mint 19, Wine 3.20) they all run without any issues.

The question is: how it looks with full versions? I'd like to know that they work before purchasing. If there are another Linux users (who don't want to dual-boot anymore) I would appreciate for sharing the results of the tests.

Regards

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Where is the patch? The link seems broken. How did you how did you install this patch? I  am on Linux mint 19 with an old ATI card (radeon 5850) with xorg driver. Demo doesn't work "couldn't initialize OpenGL". I have the complete Combat Mission Battle for Normandy with all packs since I was on Windows 10, but disk crashed. I can't install windows.

• 2 years later...

As I wrote at winehq: AFAIK that patch is not a proper fix, it may make things worse for other software ran through Wine. So the Wine developers should not commit it as such.

Me, I have no pressing need for Wine fixing this issue, though it would be nice.

Edited by Kevin2k

• 6 months later...