Seriously? Two with one shot

melm

Yeah, had same issue in CMBN...M5 Light Tank penetrated top Hull of PzIVH and went through the back of Engine Bay and landed on road several meters behind.

Thou, I see it happening more frequently if something like a PzIVH (or Panther) penetrating an M8 AC, and passing through to hit another M8 AC (or M5 Light Tank) directly behind.

Edited by JoMc67

4 hours ago, melm said:

I doubt it will happen in real life. APSFDS must get broken inside of the first target.

Yes, it can happen in real life. The dart doesn't "break." It can be eaten away as it bores through armor, and if it loses enough speed passing through the armor then it can be stopped inside a target, but it is quite possible for the dart to continue through the first target and into a second, third, fourth, etc. 

Also, the acronym is APFSDS which stands for Armor Piercing Fin Stabilized Discarding Sabot. Sometimes you'll see it as APFSDS-T, in which the T stands for Tracer. 

I wonder if the round hit a very weak point ( w/o much loss of penetration), and there was still enough kinetic energy left over to penetrate 2nd Challenger.

-Or- as, IanL, mentioned a Game Limitation...Which is more likely the case.

Edited by JoMc67

Well yeah quite. Honestly in CMx2 Ive only seen a real tank geta thru and thru and another get KO.d involved stuarts and hi velocity panther 75s.

Of course with m3 H/T and sdkfz 221s you see it quite a bit. I still kinda.. Err Idk I dont know how I feel about that happening with modern armor in modern titles especially composite sandwiched armor...

More so bc Im 99% sure the bestthe Syrians would have would be a tungsten sabot round or summat. IIRC the US and Russia only use DU rounds which has been pointed out actually sharpen themselves as they plow through metal - verrry nasty stuff.

Edit : seems iim wrong. Id be surprised if the Russians didnt use it but they havent said they have. Only the US/UK have admitted to using DU

Edited by Sublime

I couldn't tell from the pict up top what angle the first Challenger was hit at. A KE dart hitting the tank broadside behind the forward armor array would likely go through it like a hot knife through butter. Everything behind the crew compartment is less well armored (note the change in skirt armor towards the rear)

Older Russian vehicles in the Syrian fleet like earliest T72 and T62 are probably fielding steel dart ammunition. Just powerful enough to get the job done if you're fighting Leopard 1s and Centurions in the 1970s. T72 TURMS-T is likely fielding more capable tungsten ammo. T90 is a real threat at considerable ranges.