Pls add VBIEDs and technicals to Uncons

Sublime

Note the volume of fire. This is what I meant by as much violence as possible. Though its more efdective in real life - psych stuff is stronger, noises have more real effects on and on, for a less experienced player the sheer deluge of fire could be enough to overwhelm or demoralize such a player who in turn could make poor choices.

Now imagine if Id done it right and had a DsHK actually firing, a couple of RPG29 teams that mever got used using their thermobaric rounds, and a SPG further away that perhaps if not get all its ammo off more than one single round! I was pretty rusty these first pbems and made some old rookie mistakes - this isnt to denigrate Lethaface hes definitely a better player than me. Tbh most are.  Special mentions also goto GazNZ, slysniper, IanL is am excellent player. i never played Bil H or some other famous guys. Mkjerner and Nidan1 are excellent players as well... Obviously.

In fact Ive met very few poor players most the players I considered poor was bc gameyness or what I consider less than honest gaming. If i start a QB and I immediatwly can open direct fire on my enemies entire setup zone no matyer what theyll do i wont let it ride. Ill want another battle and im saying somethkng. That was my issue with one person. Another shamelessly used map edges after months of arguing with me that the avrams was so OP. that all a US player needed was to buy Abrams. He tech ically won the battle at heavy price but only by shamelessly usung rhe left map flank and then and only when reaching the rear edge pivoting and using that too.

He was banned because he was someones sockpuppet anyways. I got tired of hearing it from him tho esp because I played Redfor a lot. Blue is deadly. Its reality. However BS Redfor in capable hands can beat blue and if not can consistently make blue pay more than any country since Germany in CM

Edited by Sublime

On 1/11/2019 at 7:24 PM, Lethaface said:

Interested to see how the updated version plays! Perhaps @Sublime would enjoy a rematch?
Regarding the setup/briefing:

I read in the briefing my troops in the stronghold had been fighting all day etc. No contact had been established, but gun shots were heard. So from that I gathered they have been in contact etc, but not perse that there's a hail off bullets incoming from 1st second. Everyone not on the ground flour was cut down or heavily suppressed soon after the first second of the match. Quite some area's of the ground floor also directly came under fire, especially in the strongpoint without walls. 
I think it should be made very clear to the player he should duck down all his troops, or give the player at least 1 or 2 turns to realize what's going on. 

I saw your screenshots in the screenshot thread, looking good! I'll see what I can do with regards to screenshots or a movie over the weekend. I saved the incoming turns.

Cheers for the videos - great to see what you guys were up to. @Sublime no jest when ye talk about volume of fire!! That's some amount of rounds going downrange!

@Lethaface - I like the line of your approach. I might do something re the REDFOR set-up to tackle that option in the revised version :) Although I suspect you neutralised (and reading Sublime's posts think you did) REDFOR's only option to oppose that approach. That's where I can use triggers I think.

Really enjoyed the videos - excellent work thanks.

Cheery!

On 1/13/2019 at 10:46 AM, George MC said:

Cheers for the videos - great to see what you guys were up to. @Sublime no jest when ye talk about volume of fire!! That's some amount of rounds going downrange!

@Lethaface - I like the line of your approach. I might do something re the REDFOR set-up to tackle that option in the revised version :) Although I suspect you neutralised (and reading Sublime's posts think you did) REDFOR's only option to oppose that approach. That's where I can use triggers I think.

Really enjoyed the videos - excellent work thanks.

Cheery!

My pleasure! I had been contemplating completing the series over the weekend, but didn't get to it. I'm still committed to doing them though.

Regarding the approach line: it did look like the best way to evade a lot of potential mines/IEDs, while the routes on the right (yellow/blue) seemed very unfit for rushing an armored force through. I didn't trust the road along the green route at all, so I used the square to evade a large part of it (although I send 1 BMP to scout it out and it passed through without a hitch, the second one did blow up and a third one luckily made it).
The first turn confirmed my analysis regarding the routes on the right, while that volume of fire made sure I was urged to make a quick push! :)

To overwatch / overview the advance I inserted some infantry on rooftops of the buildings facing the square, together with the tank platoon watching route red they could provide fires on the buildings facing my advance. To conceal the advance I used a smoke barrage on the most northern (? not sure, I mean the direction towards the strongpoints) line of the square, which did nicely move along the large building complex which posed (imo) the greatest threat to my advancing forces. 

Don't know when exactly I took out Sublime's triggerman or where he was, if you did refer to that. A trigger might indeed help the triggerman 😉
I did insert infantry in the building complex and used 30mm/125mm area fire on any suspicious / potentially dangerous building where I could (both on the move and while on position). Although the smoke (while being useful) did hinder my fires quite significantly.
This is also when my brain made a cognition about these tank raids and how they can be quite useful. Difficult to explain, want to experiment with it some more. I feel that my casualties aren't much different compared to if I attacked/assaulted the same terrain with the same forces against the same enemies in a more cautious way. A more cautious and slower approach sure would have given Sublime more capability to counter react. So, it could be an interesting thing to use even when not necessarily having to rush to save forces in a stronghold.

7 minutes ago, Vet 0369 said:

Can "buddy aid" on a "trigger man" recover the "trigger?"

no there really isn't a trigger, just a capability.  Any cell IED guy can activate any cell IED as long as they have los for it.   The units that come with the ied guy purchased are not usable only by that guy.  Theoretically you could purchase an IED and then 25 guys who could activate it. 

Edited by sburke

1 minute ago, sburke said:

no there really isn't a trigger, just a capability.  Any cell IED guy can activate any cell IED as long as they have los for it.   The units that come with the ied guy purchased are not usable only by that guy.  Theoretically you could purchase an IED and then 25 guys who could activate it. 

Ah, thank you. That's good to know!

@George MC, forgot to mention that while I didn't play the AI, you could also put a trigger on some RPG-29 teams to only advance on the compound after the tanks have crossed a certain line?

Not 100% sure how triggers work, but that could be interesting. In our battle I did observe Sublime moving some of those when my tanks and bmp's were near the strongpoints, presumably hunting for my tanks. I tried targeting them with 125mm HE but I lost sight of them due to the smoke. There's a quite well known movie about such an incident, I was worried it gave him some inspiration ;-). Anyway, just thought it might be an interesting thing to put in (if possible) an AI plan.

11 hours ago, Lethaface said:

@George MC, forgot to mention that while I didn't play the AI, you could also put a trigger on some RPG-29 teams to only advance on the compound after the tanks have crossed a certain line?

Not 100% sure how triggers work, but that could be interesting. In our battle I did observe Sublime moving some of those when my tanks and bmp's were near the strongpoints, presumably hunting for my tanks. I tried targeting them with 125mm HE but I lost sight of them due to the smoke. There's a quite well known movie about such an incident, I was worried it gave him some inspiration ;-). Anyway, just thought it might be an interesting thing to put in (if possible) an AI plan.

Thanks for the clarification above. Aye interesting comment re the use of tank raids. I guess the US did a similar thing with their Thunder Run into Baghdad. I guess it works where the enemy defence is spread out or slow to react, hence why pushing through can mean you clear a zone before the enemy can rearrange its defence.

I redid an older scenario 'Strength and Faith' so its more in keeping with the tank raid concept so if you are looking for something else to experiment with that may fit the bill.

Your comments were useful as I'm redoing the AI plan and having RPGs teams relocate is something I'm doing in the new AI Plan. So knowing where players may attack is useful as I can at least set a trigger that has the AI attempt to reposition some units.

Look forward to the next set of videos as and when.

Many thanks!