Best CMBN Campaigns and Scenarios for Engine Version 4

Returning to CMBN after a number of years' hiatus. That hiatus started shortly after I purchased all available modules and packs for CMBN and upgraded to engine 4. Upon returning to the game and preparing to start the Road to Montebourg campaign I read online that some battles had been broken by the increased effectiveness of machine guns in later CMBN versions. By broken I mean the player stands very little chance of winning because infantry advance tactics that had previously been possible were no longer possible.

So before I spend a bunch of time and effort starting campaigns and scenarios, I want to make sure I am not embarking on a hopeless endeavor.

I need to avoid highly difficult missions until I can get my sea legs back. Ah, who am I kidding, even with my sea legs I would have trouble with highly difficult missions!

Anyway, I play only vs. AI and prefer to play as Allies.

What campaigns and scenarios do you suggest? Thanks in advance for any comments.

Play QBs until the much anticipated patch is released in the coming weeks (mid-Jan?). Then, we can complain about that.

Seriously, hold off until the patch arrives. The pathfinding, units leaving prepared positions, onboard artillery, force TOE, etc. will be effected.

Meanwhile, the QBs are sufficient to bring you back up to speed.

So I normally don't play campaigns, I am definitely a QB guy....HOWEVER, I found DEVILS DESCENT to be a fun one...it's mostly infantry battles with US paratroopers...the scenarios are challenging but not OVERLY brutal.

I actually played through the campaign and really liked it...I would consider it a worthy successor to the Task Force Raff training campaign.

Downloaded Devil's Descent, thanks.

When you guys do QB's, do you choose both forces or do you let the Random chooser play out? Random seems to often return unbalanced forces even though I select "Mixed." A quick battle I selected yesterday returned what is basically a force of mostly Priests.

1 hour ago, DaddyO said:

Downloaded Devil's Descent, thanks.

When you guys do QB's, do you choose both forces or do you let the Random chooser play out? Random seems to often return unbalanced forces even though I select "Mixed." A quick battle I selected yesterday returned what is basically a force of mostly Priests.

So I do both. It does occasionally give a screwy force.

Some players don’t like to choose both forces as they think it reduces the “fog of war”. This has not been my experience  I can still get my butt kicked knowing exactly what I’m up against.

I like to choose both if I want to try a particular tactical problem. Like giving both sides a company of infantry and platoon of tanks in a meeting engagement. I have even repeated the process on the same QB map with different nationalities just to compare how US vs Brits fare against Waffen SS.  Lots of combinations to try. 

3 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Im wondering if the MG update was later removed again, because they seem much less of a problem than they used to.

No, the effectiveness of machine guns has not been tuned down.

3 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Maybe I've just improved my tactics after years of playing, who knows..

Much more likely explanation :)

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to bump this topic. From what I understand, SF2 had the packaged campaigns upgraded as far as touch objectives and the like to improve the AI. I'm playing one at the moment and its been a blast. I was curious if any of the original campaigns for CMBN were upgraded, or if there is a new campaign (perhaps released within the last couple years) that the community likes. I have been out of the loop for the last 4 or so years. 

I wrote a campaign review thread at SimHQ. It died off since there was no interest or comments. But I covered several CMBN campaigns. Maybe you can take something from it, though I did not consider engine 4 in the commentary.

https://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4490340/combat-mission-campaign-reviews#Post4490340

Edited by landser

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2020 at 5:49 PM, landser said:

I wrote a campaign review thread at SimHQ. It died off since there was no interest or comments. But I covered several CMBN campaigns. Maybe you can take something from it, though I did not consider engine 4 in the commentary.

https://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4490340/combat-mission-campaign-reviews#Post4490340

Actually, it’s a great read, just not one I’d want to interrupt with my comments. Not sure if you played more campaigns, but you should really go on if you have. 

12 minutes ago, Alfy said:

Actually, it’s a great read, just not one I’d want to interrupt with my comments. Not sure if you played more campaigns, but you should really go on if you have. 

I agree, nice write-ups and good screenshots.  Makes me think that instead of just jumping in I should have researched stuff like this, oh well 😉.

On 12/10/2020 at 4:49 PM, landser said:

@landser thank you very much for your work and this reference. this is exactly the kind of campaign review i had wished for, and it does indeed exist. 

13 hours ago, Alfy said:

Thanks Alfy, and all of you for the comments. Yes, I've played many more campaigns. It's all I play really. I'll look to revisit this and add to it down the road.

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2020 at 10:58 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I've played them all.   :(

Agree with your comments by and large though.....Especially about the first scenario in 'Road To Montebourg', that scenario taught me a lot about fire and maneuver in CM.  B)

Any particular favorite that sticks out, or maybe a campaign that had an awesome scenario or two?