Best bang for buck expansion?

Hi guys

I hope you are all well during the holidays! ☺️

I am a 'newcommer' to the CM series and war gaming in general. I have been a gamer all my life, and love strategy games and especially tactical oriented games. I have played both, BN, FB, BS, FI and now I have taken the jump into what has to be the most interesting of all the Combat Mission settings imo, Shock Force. 

Even though I own a lot of the CM games, I don't have a lot of experience with them. I don't believe I have much more than 100 hours total, and I am definitely not a veteran or pro yet. I do however feel that I have surpassed that initial learning bump and have come to grasp with a lot of the games deep mechanics (c2 network mechanics still elude me somehow). 

The reason I haven't played every campaign to completetion in all of the titles yet, is that I quickly loose focus during the major battles of especially some of the ww2 titles. So far the scope of the vanilla shock force 2 campaign is right up my ally. I'm having a blast! I love the setting and the asymmetrical warfare and small to medium sized battles. 

So here is my question. Of the three expansion packs, which one would you recommend? Which one has the most value for money and the most interesting campaigns and scenarios? 

Thanks in advance! ☺️👍

26 minutes ago, Rafterman said:

Thx Squarehead! As far as I can see that expansion pack is the only one with more than one scenario, that alone makes it worth it I reckon? 

I agree with the NATO recommendation however, both the UK and USMC expansions come with a number of scenarios (a dozen-ish each or so) plus a campaign. There is plenty in each expansion, but I agree the NATO one brings lots of new vehicles and several countries, plus a few campaigns.

Welcome aboard Rafterman, and Merry Christmas. 

When I started the CMSF1, it was just with the base game on PC because it wasn't ported to the Mac. As soon as BFC released Marines for PC, I snatched it up. I bought the "Big Bundle" when they released CMSF1 for the Mac.

if you intend to continue playing CMSF2 for a long time, I recommend that you purchase the "Big Bundle" that doesn't include the base game since you already have that. If I may make a suggestion, download the Demo. That way you can play each of the supplied missions that relate to each of the modules, and determine which of the three modules you like the best. Don't be misled by both the Stryker formations and the Marines being U.S. Forces, the formation, and most of the vehicles are very different. For example, a Stryker squad is nine soldiers; a Marine squad is 12 or 13 Marines. Their rifles are different, and with the exception of basically just the HMMV, most all of their vehicles are different also. Marine AAVs are amphibious, and Javs and heavy weapons are at the Company or Battallion level.

Now some here on the forum might suggest that I might be a bit biased (0369 is a USMC military occupational specialty code (MOS) for Infantry, Small Unit Leader), I would suggest that unless you have a hankering for a specific nation, and you can afford only one module at a time, that you pick up the Marines module as the play style is very different from the Stryker Infantry.

My two cents, I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever module you chose.

Edited by Vet 0369

Edit:2 Got it - i go to upgrades, upgrade cmsf and then check prices on upgrades. 
Almost bought the entire pack without checking the UPGRADE section first.

Edit: ok, i got it now - i buy a bundle and get 25$ off.
Hard choice - is there any discount for CMSF owners or was that only if i had preordered?

I have the original CMSF + Marines
I dont understand these bundles i think.
One is all modules but not base game, the rest have base game + modules.

Is the one with all bundles with no base game for those who has all the original modules?

Lets say i want CMSF 2 + Marines (the other modules are not active yet as i understand) do i buy CMSF 2+Marines then? and then buy module Nato etc later?

i get discount on Base Game and Marines how? 

Edited by NeoOhm

5 hours ago, NeoOhm said:

Edit:2 Got it - i go to upgrades, upgrade cmsf and then check prices on upgrades. 
Almost bought the entire pack without checking the UPGRADE section first.

Edit: ok, i got it now - i buy a bundle and get 25$ off.
Hard choice - is there any discount for CMSF owners or was that only if i had preordered?

I have the original CMSF + Marines
I dont understand these bundles i think.
One is all modules but not base game, the rest have base game + modules.

Is the one with all bundles with no base game for those who has all the original modules?

Lets say i want CMSF 2 + Marines (the other modules are not active yet as i understand) do i buy CMSF 2+Marines then? and then buy module Nato etc later?

i get discount on Base Game and Marines how? 

If you already own CMSF1,  go to the Upgrades button on the BFC main screen. Select CMSF2. You'll be presented with selections for all combinations to upgrade your CMSF1 to CMSF2. Just the base game, base game with a module, or Big Bundle. You go to the games button on the main page to buy modules you don't already have. Those are not discounted. Just remember, go to UPGRADES for what you already own, and GAMES for what you don't own yet.

Edited by Vet 0369

Found that and did it, and i screwed up, bought bundle upgrade by mistake and now im a case for the great ppl and Helpdesk.
Got activationcode for big bundle upgrade and now i sitt and watch a -Tank shooting in the dark- screen with no more codes.

If they fix it they can keep the 10$ difference between Bundle and Base game Marines. They sure earned it many times +
Darn bargain that bundle if you have all modules.
After xmass i cant, my wife say that anyway, really spend more cash, i kinda spoiled my kids, said my wife,  and then i had to spoil my Wife toooo, she said that was totally ok,  so now the kids hate me cause we going to Hawaii, and they cant bring their new custom made gaming PC´s.
The wife seem quite happy, despite her expression when she watched the kids unpack min ..ehrmm..their new pc´s

I feel soooo sorry for them.

Maybe they can go and i can continue building  min.. ehrm their pc´s in peace..hmm..

Anyone in Sweden wants a ticket, i think im about to get the flu..