Question For Map Makers

Is there a hidden 'Add Random Flavour Objects' command that chucks, rocks, logs & tree stumps etc. over a wide area?  :huh:

Because I think I accidentally found it and made a mess on my map (in CM:A).....If there is such a thing, could you enlighten me as to what it is, so I don't accidentally press it again!  ;)

PS - It does telegraph poles too.....A neat line of the bloody things straight over a mountain and through a pine forest.....FFS!  :angry:

832ssSL.jpg

PPS - It puts them inside buildings too.....What a total pain in the arse!  :rolleyes:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

I played around with it and found this.  When deploying a Flavor Object if you click on the map in 2D (as you normally would) but then drag the mouse cursor across the map it will leave a trail of said flavor objects.  

EDIT to add:  I guess that's not surprising because we do the same thing with roads, walls, fences, trees, craters etc. but I admit, I never tried it with flavor objects before today. 

Edited by MOS:96B2P

I've no idea how it happened, but they suddenly appeared between previews.

It only occurred to me to make an image of the last telegraph pole.....There were indeed a chain of them and quite nicely spaced too, but there were also dozens of the rocks you see in the image, plus tree stumps, fallen logs and other flavours of rock, scattered over an area of I'd guess a couple of hundred meters on a side.  :blink:

Two of them are snoring loudly two feet to my left and the other is guarding the top of the stairs (Gotta love those Rottie instincts!  B)), so yep, they're in the clear.....It's a mystery and one I hope not to repeat!  ;)

PS - @MOS:96B2P  Didn't I send you an early version of the map.....If so would you take a look in the area from just south of the mine, across the valley with the N-S road, also going up the other side of the valley towards the hill village, that's where most of the mystery objects were.  I thought I had picked the map clean, but maybe I missed some and only spotted them while adding the final touches?

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

31 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Two of them are snoring loudly two feet to my left and the other is guarding the top of the stairs (Gotta love those Rottie instincts!  B)), so yep, they're in the clear.....It's a mystery and one I hope not to repeat!  ;)

The are faking the snoring.  One wouldn't be named Muttley would it?

While making a CMRT map recently, I had the overlay set to full view and was flicking between the editor and Google Earth. At some point when I thought I was in Google Earth I clicked and dragged. I was actually in the editor and got rewarded with a whole bunch of 25 metre direct elevation spots where I had clicked and dragged. Luckily it isn't a particularly complex map elevation-wise so it only took me ten minutes to get rid of them. So it may not be the animals ...

48 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

You sent me the Trumpton map.  I'm not seeing a CMA map.  What is the file name for the CMA map?  

Ahhh, that was it.....Sorry.  The Afghan valley map is (Unexcitingly.  :rolleyes:) called: [Map] Afghan Highway Valley.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

29 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

While making a CMRT map recently, I had the overlay set to full view and was flicking between the editor and Google Earth. At some point when I thought I was in Google Earth I clicked and dragged. I was actually in the editor and got rewarded with a whole bunch of 25 metre direct elevation spots where I had clicked and dragged. Luckily it isn't a particularly complex map elevation-wise so it only took me ten minutes to get rid of them. So it may not be the animals ...

I don't think a drag and click could explain it, there were at least half a dozen varieties of object, mostly in a multi-hundred metre, roughly circular area, but with a single line of telegraph poles through the middle more or less.....It's as though the entire portion of the map I had visible in the 2d editor window was instantly festooned with Flavour Objects!  :o

PS - This is CM:A remember.....Maybe the Russians did something tricksy?  :ph34r:

wWexRoG.jpg

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Interesting - I had to test this. Seems leftclicking and dragging across the map will place flavour objects along the line with spacing between object being decided by the speed of wich the mouse is dragged. Look at the attached pic. A greatly different amount and space between the rows of telegraph poles. I only changed the speed of travel of the mouse. 

CMA Flavours.jpg

23 minutes ago, SchnelleMeyer said:

spacing between object being decided by the speed of which the mouse is dragged. 

+1  Interesting.  Thanks for sharing the information.  

Hmmmm, I think this trail of information leads away from the idea that @Sgt.Squarehead's cat walked across his computer keyboard.  I'm thinking he dozed off while working in the editor again and did a face plant on his keyboard :D :lol: :).......   To confirm observe the drool on the keys........ :lol: