Marking Mines in CMSF2

Vet 0369

OK, the PDF manual doesn't have anything on the specifics of marking mines. I read that you have to have either engineers, pioneers, or blast teams do a slow movement through a mine field to detect the mines, but I have some questions:

1} Does the unit have to stop at each location, or can you give it a number of Slow waypoints?

2} There is a "Mark Mines" command in the movement section, but it's always gray. What does it do, and how do you use it?

3} The encyclopedia states that the M1132 Stryker detects mines, and moves them off hard pavement and debris with a plow, but the in game M1132 doesn't have a plow.

4] Can a mine field be deactivated by anything other than high explosives?

Any help is welcome.

5 hours ago, Vet 0369 said:

OK, the PDF manual doesn't have anything on the specifics of marking mines. I read that you have to have either engineers, pioneers, or blast teams do a slow movement through a mine field to detect the mines, but I have some questions:

1} Does the unit have to stop at each location, or can you give it a number of Slow waypoints?

2} There is a "Mark Mines" command in the movement section, but it's always gray. What does it do, and how do you use it?

3} The encyclopedia states that the M1132 Stryker detects mines, and moves them off hard pavement and debris with a plow, but the in game M1132 doesn't have a plow.

4] Can a mine field be deactivated by anything other than high explosives?

Any help is welcome.

1) Since detecting mines often requires several turns (i.e. it's not automatic), a series of waypoints will probably miss them.

2) "Mark Mines" only becomes active when a unit capable of marking mines is on or adjacent to a detected mine square. 

3) Right under the vehicle description it says "Note: The specialized engineering capabilities of this vehicle are not currently simulated."  Currently, only foot engineer types can mark mines.

4) There is no reliable way to eliminate a minefield in the game.  Marking them makes it somewhat safer to pass through (do it slowly), but they can still go off.  Even the trick of artillery bombardment on a minefield might leave some active.

Thank you all for your comments! It was late when I posted this (and probably a wee bit too much Famous Grouse), and I didn't realize there was already an active mine clearing thread. Too bad we don't have the mine clearing detonation rope in this game. Maybe it wasn't issued yet.

1 hour ago, Vet 0369 said:

Too bad we don't have the mine clearing detonation rope in this game. Maybe it wasn't issued yet.

I would love to see a vehicle pack for the modern titles that add engineering vehicles. M1s and T-72s with mine plows at a minimum would be enough for me. Dedicated engineering vehicles such as the ABV for the US would be great to have as well, but would likely require a lot more coding work. As a bonus the ABV comes with 2 MICLIC launchers.

By the way, the MICLIC was used as far back as 1990 in a large scale mechanized breach exercise at NTC. Not sure when it was first introduced, but it is certainly in the timeframe of CMSF2. Further reason to hope to see it in the future!