Old Timer- but CMSF 2 is new for me

OK, I really don't want to get into why I never did CMSF, but now in some ways I am glad I didn't.

So I have been indulging in the scenarios of Sf2 - So they are all fresh to me, I get to play blind and enjoy them for the first time on a system that is now pretty darn clean as to how well it works.

Needless to say, I am really enjoying it.

Now for the funniest scenario I have played so far. - It is Flank Guard playing as the Dutch.

Hands down, the most unusual battle I have played in a while.

I have felt like I was watching a old Rat Patrol  show from way back.

All my Dutch units running around in them g-wagons, running and gunning down anything they could with their HMG's or Grenade MG's or the MMG's

Nothing like taking on a armored unit in a open jeep and somehow winning the fight. ( Of course, some times its been jumping off the unit and using a proper AT asset to get the job done.)

Then as time passes, the desperate feeling of just trying to hold on until reinforcements come.

Then when help arrives, the counter attack to hold back the tide and to finish off the enemy.

I really enjoyed using the arty at the end, 155 did a great job of being able to clear that hill of all the pesty enemy units.

Two insights with the engine. Infantry and arty are truly fixed. No longer are units running when hit with a barrage.

Second, In the scenario I just discussed. I was amazed how my men in open units survived long enough to actually fire from the g-wagons. (makes me wonder if some adjustments have been made and we will see men in unbutton units last a little longer when the update gets into the other games)

Last comment, I also did a scenario of my own this past week-end. Opened up the sand box and created a situation and then proceeded to test three different tactics against the situation.

best tool by far as to practicing tactics there is, my favorite thing of all. and now with units that represent the forces closest to what I trained with when I was in the service.

Thank You for being out there BF, nothing else fulfills my need.

1 hour ago, Bulletpoint said:

That's music to my ears.

Hang in there, the updates are coming.

Then we can hear complaints of "why isn't my infantry fleeing that arty barrage"

It will be interesting to see what happens in open ground again. because so far I get the impression, infantry is back to just not fleeing. Much more similar to how it was back when.

1 hour ago, slysniper said:

Hang in there, the updates are coming.

Then we can hear complaints of "why isn't my infantry fleeing that arty barrage"

Back then, I never heard anyone complain their infantry wasn't fleeing into the open when under artillery barrage. I don't see why people should start complaining about it now.

tell you the truth I do not remember what was the cause of the change myself.

If memory serves me right. they adjusted it so infantry would flee from overwhelming fire (referring to direct fire). But had the mishap of it affecting the indirect fire in a manor many of us did not like.

So far, I have not seen anything that seems incorrect. But I also have not sat down and run test. But I am sure there is someone out there that has. So no one has made complaints since the release, so it must be pretty good now.

They continue to run out of the building and into the street to be cut down. It's fun when it happens to opfor. Not so much when the shoe is on the other foot. I'm hoping a  fix is still forthcoming.

MOUT is essentially Bradleys and Abrams shredding the structure which is fine when you have them on hand. Unfortunately, quite a few scenarios expect you to use infantry accompanied by a few supporting elements with neither the time nor the ammo to complete objectives without significant loss in manpower. The path finding issue is more noticeable in this title given the preponderance of urban fighting. The teams take the wrong entry point more often than not . Placing the way point in front of the intended entry point is no guaranty they'll go in that way. They're just as likely to circle around to use the exposed side or worse - run across a street/ditch/plaza/open area to get shot up proper.

I'm no expert and could be convinced I still need to learn the basics but, it's night and day between open and closed terrain (path finding). 

Edited by Howler
typos

2 hours ago, Howler said:

The path finding issue is more noticeable in this title given the preponderance of urban fighting. The teams take the wrong entry point more often than not . Placing the way point in front of the intended entry point is no guaranty they'll go in that way. They're just as likely to circle around to use the exposed side or worse - run across a street/ditch/plaza/open area to get shot up proper.

I've noticed this, but not to such an extent it has negatively effected my experience.....I wonder if it might in part be down to ported maps?  The game can be quite finicky about sudden elevation changes around doorways (which is why I always lock the elevations of 'building clusters').  :unsure:

30 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

The game can be quite finicky about sudden elevation changes around doorways 

This.  I seldom have problems with getting troops to go through doors or breaches.  But when I do it is almost always because of an elevation change. 

It makes me wonder if the reason some troops are having this problem is because of the size of the unit and maybe the movement command?  This is about the only thing I can think of besides the elevation deal.  From watching the AI attempt to carry out orders on scenario author test mode I can see why the AI might try to use a second door.  If the AI was trying to get a full squad into a building quickly (Fast or Quick movement commands) and a second door was within three or four action spots it might use both doors.  I almost always split my squads into fire teams and, with the exception of the elevation difference, never have teams using an unwanted door. 

So maybe using teams and having one team enter through one doorway at a time when on Quick or Fast might solve this???  Not sure.     

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I've noticed this, but not to such an extent it has negatively effected my experience.....I wonder if it might in part be down to ported maps?  The game can be quite finicky about sudden elevation changes around doorways (which is why I always lock the elevations of 'building clusters').  :unsure:

CMSF2 is absolutely wonderful! I might have been too harsh having just finished House Cleaning followed by Ambush in al Fubar. I'm sure once the patch is released to the other titles, everyone will be happy.

I'm of the same opinion concerning the ported maps and should have tempered my post better. There are also minor terrain issues reported with some scenario which likely compounds the problem. Plus, there was a discussion regarding the newer building types not being present in the modding section which will make CMSF2 behaviour more distinct for you scenario designers.

Don't get me wrong - it's a must buy for anyone interested with the period/region. I've been playing it non stop.

5 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

So maybe using teams and having one team enter through one doorway at a time when on Quick or Fast might solve this???  Not sure. 

The problem for me lately has been teams opting to run a 30m in the open rather than completing the order (usually quick - sometimes hunt) under light fire. They'll come under fire from a location other than the destination building and not continue (<5m). They'll also not find another building for cover. They will run around buildings and down alleys. This makes me sad... in a WEGO sort of way.

But, they are ported maps and it is an initial release so, it can only get better.

I guess both the AI & TAC AI run into issues in complex urban terrain (imagine all the calculations the game engine must need to make when a unit is suddenly ambushed in a really dense, complex urban environment), if something goes wrong for a unit, it tends to go very wrong.  :o

TBH I rather like it.....It forces the Blue player in particular to think very hard about each move, just as they should when doing something as dangerous as FISHing.  B)