First impressions

Sulman

I'm impressed. I've been looking forward to it for a long time, as I played CMSF more than anything else.

Despite what I knew from CMBS and CMBN I was quite surprised how differently some familiar scenarios play out. 'Ambush at Al Fubar' is an old favourite of mine and I actually found it quite difficult; gone is the ability of your troops to simply press on through fire, and urban fighting feels a lot nastier. The tendency for units to run for it when artillery falls makes some interesting situations; and the battlefield generally feels a lot more dangerous.

It's also very smooth on my Macbook Pro.

The frist time I heard the loading screen music a huge smile came across my face.

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 2:57 AM, MikeyD said:

You should try Ambush at Al Fubar playing Red too, watch the new Blue AI orders sets go through their paces.

I just did and it is indeed a brilliant scenario played as Red, horrendously bloody, but eminently winnable.....Let's put it this way, the Abrams survived!  :P

It's also definitely one for novice scenario designers to study in the editor for tips on how to best use some of the new Engine 4 AI Orders.  B)

5 hours ago, Euri said:

AAA guns and portable AA missiles are too strong, if you ask me.

I've not had a scenario where it's been factored in yet, but I'll keep an eye out. 

I also started the TF_Thunder campaign and after 'Breakthrough at the Berm' I'm convinced the 2 upgrade is somehow more than the sum of its parts. There's a bump in atmosphere and intensity (and difficulty...though I am not the world's greatest CM player) that makes it quite thrilling. 

2 hours ago, Sulman said:

I've not had a scenario where it's been factored in yet, but I'll keep an eye out. 

I also started the TF_Thunder campaign and after 'Breakthrough at the Berm' I'm convinced the 2 upgrade is somehow more than the sum of its parts. There's a bump in atmosphere and intensity (and difficulty...though I am not the world's greatest CM player) that makes it quite thrilling. 

Definitely, I also have the impression that the campaigns aren´t simple ports but definitely upgraded in every way playing in a very different and evelated in a better way.

I didn´t notice something unusual about MANPAD and AAA performance. IR Strelas don´t come with convenient RWR warnings and people that believe MANPADs are only a threat to rotary should check the history of downed US fixed wing, the word Strela will be sadly mentioned there several times. As being a polite and honest FAC you of course would call of CAS as soon you spot SAM or AAA activity when you are not able to immediately surpress said threat... Which I believe many players don´t do and just silently sit there watching if the poor pilots will live to tell the tale. However I am curious to see how CAS performs when you narrowed down the AAA´s vehicle position and order a point target CAS or very tiny area CAS on it, if they are able to take it out before the guys respond. Never did this as I always played it safe and either took the AAA out by hunting it down or by artillery. Please let me know when you a) was able to read this comment completely and correctly and b) may know if such a CAS mission would proove successful or still definitely endanger the CAS aircraft. Thanks and of course Amen.

Edited by Mattis

About AA missiles, SA-16 in the game is much less capable than SA-18. There's no way to differentiate between the two except in the purchase window, though. In-game they're both 'IGLA'. The higher status the troops the more likely they have SA-18. Lower status troops like reserves  get SA-16. Fighters could get either because they can afford the best that foreign money can supply

- Syrian tanks and BMPs turn instantly towards incoming projectiles as if they were "high tech" Black Sea units.

- infantry that, after receiving fire, decides to abandon current position and run for a safer place, often chooses a path TOWARDS the direction of enemy fire instead of away from it!