Finally got in to the forum! could use some pointers

ctcharger

39 minutes ago, ctcharger said:

Save-Scumming... yikes, now there is a word for it?   😑  I know it's cheating... I wonder if I should do the quick battle thing instead while I am learning.

Term has existed since at least the original Rogue in 1980 :)

It's a useful tool to learn what you're doing, but it's also a crutch. Use it, then try to ween yourself off it. Discipline, grasshopper.

Still failing at Objective Delta although I did get close or at least closer.  Right up there with Save Scumming is edge crawling, that I heard of.  

About PBEM, do they use a different set of scenarios for PBEM?  If they do, how do they differ from the ones I am playing now?  

Any good books on the fighting in Ukraine?  

So true!  Just achieved a major victory in Platoon House!  Still getting too many people killed though.  Like "I bet can get across the street before the tank shoots me" or "They will never see me up here on the roof" or "Sure I am safe here but I bet I can a better firing position if I move closer."

I learned how to move guys side to side in the building and load up on ammo before the scenario starts.  

I also counted 3 armored vehicles knocked out thank you...

I am all in... I ordered several books on the subject and one on the history of Ukraine.   Soon I will get the other games and I am reading and watching all I can find.  

On a random note:

When I went to my local game store you would feel right at home, Cthulhu games everywhere!  Wow!

Untitled1.jpg

Edited by ctcharger

52 minutes ago, ctcharger said:

Still getting too many people killed though.

You'll be saying the same thing a year from now. In modern you tend to feel every death twice as hard. Once you get to WWII you'll be running dudes into a meat grinder and won't even bat an eye. Your losses will be 5x higher and you'll feel like a king.

55 minutes ago, ctcharger said:

I am all in... I ordered several books on the subject and one on the history of Ukraine.   Soon I will get the other games and I am reading and watching all I can find.  

You sound just like me back when I discovered CMBO. I went apes*** for everything WWII. Bought all kinds of memoirs and armor guides and watched every VHS tape I could get my hands on. Yeah, VHS, it was that long ago! 2000. Haven't stopped since. My library and DVD collection have expanded with all kinds of military history since then.

I really enjoy your enthusiasm. It's a blast watching you develop a love for the game.

If you have Netflix there is a documentary on their about the UKR. I don't know if it's any good, though.  And if you haven't seen these, they are pretty good.

Mord.

It is pretty amazing what you can find nowadays. I bought a boardgame called Armageddon Wars and the designer put me wise to all of these videos (in Syria).  The last one I watched, 3 APCs were taken out by a Ukrainian T-64 and the guys just kept filming as they were retreating in good spirits and they hoped the guys got out in the APCs (BTRs).  The field was huge and flat as a pool table, what a shame to be fighting over it instead of farming it.  

LOL. Now you are on the precipice of the rabbit hole.

PM me and I'll send you Blimey's Separatists mods. They aren't on CMMODs at the moment. They are great. For the time being they just replace UKR and/or Russian uniforms. We are hoping actual separatists make it into a module (hopefully the newest one).

Mord.

Edited by Mord

On 12/14/2018 at 9:40 PM, ctcharger said:

About PBEM, do they use a different set of scenarios for PBEM?  If they do, how do they differ from the ones I am playing now?  

You can play any scenario for PBEM, but some of them are not balanced for it. On the description for each scenario in the main menu, some of them might say "H2H only" meaning that it was only designed for head-to-head multiplayer, either in real time or PBEM. That usually just means that the scenario designer made both sides evenly matched, so that both players have an even chance to win. A typical H2H scenario might be a meeting engagement where both sides are pretty much identical. Like for example, each player has one platoon of tanks and one company of infantry, and they all have to fight over one objective in the middle of the map. You could also just do a PBEM Quick Battle where each player picks their own forces out of a list.

If a scenario says "Blue vs AI only" or something like that, it usually means that the strength of the Red force has been given a big boost to provide more of a challenge against the AI. If you try to play one of those scenarios in PBEM, the Red player will have a huge advantage. Likewise, if you try to play a "H2H only" scenario in single-player, it will probably not be very challenging due to the AI not being as competent as a human player would be.

Real warfare is never perfectly balanced though, and it can be just as fun to play any of the other "non-H2H" scenarios in PBEM. I still haven't tried Black Sea in PBEM, but I've had some good fun with PBEM in the WW2 games. 

3 minutes ago, Bozowans said:

Likewise, if you try to play a "H2H only" scenario in single-player, it will probably not be very challenging due to the AI not being as competent as a human player would be.

@Bozowans's over all description is spot on: just need a slight adjustment to the above. Given that most H2H only scenarios do not have any AI plans at all "not very challenging" is the understatement of the century :D

22 hours ago, ctcharger said:

Speaking of...A friend has the Demo version while I have the full version.  What are our options PBEM wise?

You would need to install the demo along side your full game. Just make sure they are in different directories.

Or convince him to buy the full game :)

• 5 weeks later...

I got roped into Combat Mission Barbarossa to Berlin (CMBB) by a buddy at work about 2003. I fed the addiction with the rest of the CMX1 series until Combat Mission Shock Force (CNSF) was released in 2007. I had a bunch of problems learning in CMSF because of the lethality of the modern battlefield. I didn't really learn how to play consistently until the WWII titles CM Fortress Italy (CMFI) and CM Battle for Normandy (CMBN) were released. The WWII titles are easier to learn because they rely on eye sight instead of electronics, and all your weapons are "dumb." In the CNBS U.S. campaign, I fired a Javalin at a Russian Command BMP about 1,300 meters away. Within a few seconds of the Jav Team firing, a T-90 swung its gun and killed my Jav team (about 1,200 meters away inside the fifth floor of a building)!

A few suggestions for CMBS are:

1. To ALWAYS assume that you are under direct observation by the enemy, and to plan your moves accordingly.

2. Use the different view levels appropriate for the unit. Use 1 for ground troops, 2 for armor and larger vehicles, and 3 or 4 for an overview of the battlefield.

3. Whenever possible, break off a two man scout team, and use it to scout ahead to spot or trip any ambushes. You might lose the scout team, but that's better than losing a squad or a vehicle.

4. Before setting up and making your first moves, use the camera level 4 to determine possible or probable avenues of approach. Then using camera level 1 or 2 to look at the entire map for elevation changes you can use for cover.

There are many other "must do's," but those are some of the most important. The absolute most important thing yo can do is to read and study Bil Hardenberg's "Battle Drill Blog." The link is in his signature in his post on page 1 of this thread.

I noticed you were playing the Ukraine side. I find Ukraine to be the most difficult to play due to outdated equipment and such. You'd probably have an easier time learning if you play the U.S. or the Russian sides, then play the Ukraine after learning the Russian.

Welcome to our addiction! Read the forums. You'll find posts and advice from serving and former serving military ( including Ukraine and Russian), and Veterans of Vietnam, Iraq, and Afganistan who speak from experience. Listen to them.

Edited by Vet 0369

• 3 weeks later...

I have a problem with Demo and was not able to find any topics, links, answers about it.

In the CMBS and CMFI demo, I can start the demo but the list of the demo scenarios is completely empty. 

In the CMSF2 demo I have all the demo scenarios and I am able to play normally.

Does anyone know why this happens and what can I do about it? Thanks in advance.

I did not want to open a new topic just because of this question. I hope it is ok that I post my question here. :)

CMBS demo empty.jpg

Maybe you can post your question on CM2 General Tech Support forum

I know after CMRT, the folders contain save, scenario , maps are no longer in the same location with the game file. if my memory is correct, they are in "user name"/ documents/ game now

maybe your windows is based on different language? or the user name that you log into  windows is in different language?  I had the same problem with one of my desktop which has Chinese language windows installed 

hopefully this could be helpful

Edited by Chibot Mk IX

Also a nonspecific tip that helped me get better at combat mission, after I finish a scenario I think back and try to pick out what mistakes I made so that I am aware of what I am doing wrong. It really helped me think more tactically, and  get rid of bad habits from other RTS games I played. e.g. moving men up without recon or support. 

Dear all thank you very much for your comments. I have tried reinstalling several times already before, but this has not worked. I have win in English so I guess this should not be a problem.

I was not able to find any other folder where they might be. Actually I have feeling like some folder with Scenarios is missing from CMBS and CMFI folders. For CMSF2 under Game Files, there is folder called Scenarios and they are all there. For the other two there is nothing similar. 

I think I will contact support at the Battlefront Help Desk. Thanks for that link.

demo folders.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN (OR TO WHOM IT MAY HELP):

I called Camp "Battlefront" for Close Online Support. John Wayne was quick to respond. He said that it is probably just standard EW and that I should use Electronic Counter-CounterMeasures (ECCM) - i.e. I should uninstall the CMFI and CMBS, and than again download and install both games with my anti-virus turned off. I did, but it did not help. I was still missing "Game files" and "User data" folders, and no files were in quarantine.

I called John again. John was  again quick to respond, and he said "Don't worry buddy, I've got you covered. We will fix this together.". This time John air dropped me the standard ration of demo scenarios and I saved them under My documents in the correct path where the CMFI will be looking for them. So I now have the folders and I see that scenario files are inside, but when I start the game the list of the scenarios is still empty.

I called John again. I said:"John, maybe this road leads to Albuquerque, but it sure does not lead to our objective. We need to find another avenue of approach." Radio silence. I said:"John, do you read me? Over."  Nothing.

This is when I knew there is only one Scientological explanation. OPFOR has overrun John's Support-by-Comment position at Camp Battlefront and he is MIA. This is when I knew I will have to do it all by myself. I will have to initiate Search and Rescue mission to solve the mystery of the missing folders and find John from the lost support platoon. 

So I put on my headband and I said to myself:"What would Bill Gates's grandma do?" I knew that my chance is one in a million, but I had to try it. I logged off from the normal user which I used all the time to download and install CMBS, CMFI and CMRT. I than logged in to the other user with Admin privileges, which I have not used literally for years. I just checked there under My Documents folder and all the missing folders for CMBS, CMFI, CMRT were there. I started CMBS and it was alive! The scenarios were listed and I was finally able to play demo with that admin user which had nothing to do with installation of the game. One down, one to go.

I said again to myself:"Think John, think. What would Jeffrey Paulding do?". He would first try to think like the enemy, than he would patiently find or create holes in the enemy defense, and than when he finds them he would ensure local fire superiority. He would set the table before he eat their lunch. And I was determined to prevent those OPFOR zombies to eat my buddy John Wayne for lunch.    

After I applied the Jeffrey's advice, I knew OPFOR must be holding John in some cell within their base and that I will have to be fast and stealthy, while I am blowing them up. Once that critical part was understood, the rest was not really piece of cake, but more like a walk in the park. Details of the mission can be seen on this original footage from the mission.