CM Shock Force 2 Demo start with black screen

Ridaz

Want to try the demo but no matter how many time I reinstall or run it in compatibility mode. the game keeps booting up with a black screens after the splash screen.

Please help. I want to buy the full game but I am not gonna do that until I know the game is able to boot fully on my PC. I have tried this on another PC wit the same result 

What Windows version are you running ? Do you know what video card or chip you have in your computer and what driver version you have installed ? Is this a laptop or desktop ? With laptops there's the possibility of running on the Intel integrated video (a chip or the CPU itself), which may have issues since Intel's OpenGL drivers don't always play nice with the CM games. Usually they'll display something, just with messy text and/or slow performance.

If you Alt-Tab (to minimize the game) and, assuming that minimizing is successful, then re-maximize it, does that possibly refresh the display to show something other than the black screen for the game ?

To my knowledge 'compatibility mode' shouldn't be necessary for the game. Have you tried right-clicking on the launching icon and selecting 'Run as administrator' (assuming this is Windows Vista or later) ? 'Run as administrator' also shouldn't be necessary, but it may be worth trying.

8 minutes ago, Schrullenhaft said:

What Windows version are you running ? Do you know what video card or chip you have in your computer and what driver version you have installed ? Is this a laptop or desktop ? With laptops there's the possibility of running on the Intel integrated video (a chip or the CPU itself), which may have issues since Intel's OpenGL drivers don't always play nice with the CM games. Usually they'll display something, just with messy text and/or slow performance.

If you Alt-Tab (to minimize the game) and, assuming that minimizing is successful, then re-maximize it, does that possibly refresh the display to show something other than the black screen for the game ?

To my knowledge 'compatibility mode' shouldn't be necessary for the game. Have you tried right-clicking on the launching icon and selecting 'Run as administrator' (assuming this is Windows Vista or later) ? 'Run as administrator' also shouldn't be necessary, but it may be worth trying.

I am running Windows 10 Home Edition, GTX 970 with the latest driver installed. It's a desktop

I can alt tab without any problems but the screen still stays black only the splash screen appears after I launch. I also can't alt-F4 to close ti and need to do so through task manager.

I have also tried running as admin to no avail. 

I have also run it on two different desktop PCs one uses integrated graphic card while my main one uses the GTX 970. Both yielding the same results. 

Edited by Ridaz

With a black screen it sounds like there is something wrong with the installation and it isn't able to get access to graphic/sound resources for the game. I assume that you're seeing the Battlefront logo (a Vietnam era M48 firing in the darkness) with sound and then a purely black screen, is that correct ?

I downloaded the demo onto a Windows 10 Pro v. 1809 PC using Intel integrated video. Installation went fine (to default locations) and the game worked fine (though text is a bit smeared - expected with Intel integrated graphics) running at 1920 x 1080 (no modifications to the 'display size.txt' file).

You may want to check on the files you have for the installation. This is what I downloaded and extracted today (from Battlefront's Sharefile download location - the default location linked on Battlefront's website for CMSF2). Extraction was done with the built-in Windows Explorer extraction capability (right-click .zip file and select 'Extract All' from the popup menu):

I used a website to generate the SHA256 file checksums ( https://emn178.github.io/online-tools/sha256_checksum.html ). Just drag the file from the Windows Explorer file manager to the box with the gray dashed outline and it should generate the checksum.

CMSF2 Windows v200 DEMO.zip

Size (not 'size on disk'): 1,027,872,472 bytes

SHA256 Checksum:

078ecbad2f2ce51c9ef80cadbbd06823df9b1c83500534bbd14be259796a2d00

Two files are extracted, 'CMSF2 Demo Setup.exe' and 'demo.brz' with the following properties:

CMSF2 Demo Setup.exe

Size (not 'size on disk'):  17,395,824 bytes

SHA256 Checksum:

cfd317368d27d1c054a479f9ffbf2068f208a2ed405fa859995cb21d09cc0ccd

demo.brz

Size (not 'size on disk'):  2,040,407,125 bytes

SHA256 Checksum:

dd5ae1468cf4490673bc0337e6cc3a184a7a9d57ab83247402e6371109166d4b

Installing to the default location (typically C:\Program Files (x86)\Battlefront\Combat Mission Shock Force 2 Demo) went fine, this was with a Sophos corporate version of anti-virus running (I'm not sure if other anti-virus/security programs may have problems with the installation though). The properties on that folder are:

Size (not 'size on disk'):  2,058,145,637 bytes

29 Files in 13 Folders

Edited by Schrullenhaft

17 minutes ago, Schrullenhaft said:

With a black screen it sounds like there is something wrong with the installation and it isn't able to get access to graphic/sound resources for the game. I assume that you're seeing the Battlefront logo (a Vietnam era M48 firing in the darkness) with sound and then a purely black screen, is that correct ?

I downloaded the demo onto a Windows 10 Pro v. 1809 PC using Intel integrated video. Installation went fine (to default locations) and the game worked fine (though text is a bit smeared - expected with Intel integrated graphics) running at 1920 x 1080 (no modifications to the 'display size.txt' file).

You may want to check on the files you have for the installation. This is what I downloaded and extracted today (from Battlefront's Sharefile download location - the default location linked on Battlefront's website for CMSF2). Extraction was done with the built-in Windows Explorer extraction capability (right-click .zip file and select 'Extract All' from the popup menu):

I used a website to generate the SHA256 file checksums ( https://emn178.github.io/online-tools/sha256_checksum.html ). Just drag the file from the Windows Explorer file manager to the box with the gray dashed outline and it should generate the checksum.

CMSF2 Windows v200 DEMO.zip

Size (not 'size on disk'): 1,027,872,472 bytes

SHA256 Checksum:

078ecbad2f2ce51c9ef80cadbbd06823df9b1c83500534bbd14be259796a2d00

Two files are extracted, 'CMSF2 Demo Setup.exe' and 'demo.brz' with the following properties:

CMSF2 Demo Setup.exe

Size (not 'size on disk'):  17,395,824 bytes

SHA256 Checksum:

cfd317368d27d1c054a479f9ffbf2068f208a2ed405fa859995cb21d09cc0ccd

demo.brz

Size (not 'size on disk'):  2,040,407,125 bytes

SHA256 Checksum:

dd5ae1468cf4490673bc0337e6cc3a184a7a9d57ab83247402e6371109166d4b

Installing to the default location (typically C:\Program Files (x86)\Battlefront\Combat Mission Shock Force 2 Demo) went fine, this was with a Sophos corporate version of anti-virus running (I'm not sure if other anti-virus/security programs may have problems with the installation though). The properties on that folder are:

Size (not 'size on disk'):  2,058,145,637 bytes

29 Files in 13 Folders

Yes, I see the logo spash sceren plus the sound but then black screen.

Thanks for the info here but I am still unclear on how to solve this. I believe BFC only have the demo from the same sharefile link. I have tried reinstalling it over multiple instance with the same results.

FYI I am on my work laptop right now and the demo works fine but not for my other 2 desktops 

Have you compared the installation files on your desktops with this info here (file size and SHA256 checksums) ? The 'demo.brz' is probably the key file here since that is where almost all of the data is at for the installation. What security software are you using on your desktops ? Is it possible to temporarily disable them during installation and then create 'exceptions/white-list' for the game executable within the security software ? What is currently running on the desktops when you launch CMSF2 ? The CM series has previously had issues with some 3rd party audio programs such as 'Nahimic' and some others (though the standard Realtek control applet isn't an issue) that required uninstalling them in order for the game to work (sound would still work with these programs removed, it just wouldn't have the effects of the specific 3rd party software).

One thing you can do is to check your startup files. Close or exit all of the startup files except those you need to run such as Bluetooth or mouse/ keyboard control files. I was having a problem of my game not starting up at all for the past week. My issue turned out to be RivaTuner. That was on the full install though. My Demo ran well. Point is it could be a conflict with an app that's running.