Super close range King Tiger video w/no blaring PA/Tannoy

'Tis the season for treadhead goodness AND possible use by the people doing sound mods. Have found time and again people either put music over the actual tank sounds or, if a museum day, it's catch as catch can to get clean audio because of frequent PA/Tannoy interruptions. This one has no interference of either type, nor an untimely overflight, either.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

2 hours ago, Thewood1 said:

That is a packed dry dirt road.  At that slow a speed, I wouldn't expect a lot of disturbance to the soil.  It's wet dirt roads and off-road terrain I'd be looking at more.

True that, but the wider tracks designed for the those big cats reduced tank tread ground pressure to 15 PSI (pounds per square inch) which did enhance their mobility. 

By a fluke, I found this, which is of the same King Tiger and what looks to be the same location. With the benefit of a proper video (24 minutes, no less), it becomes clear that Bulletpoint was right. There is Zimmerit on the glacis ( his point) and all the other usual places, but the glacis Zimmerit appears to be worn down. 

Regards,

John Kettler

Andy,

My thoughts exactly. If the Zimmerit is original, there might've been some scouring via vegetation as well. Would note, too, the glacis is, relatively speaking, the flattest Zimmerit coated surface with regard to to horizontal, so find myself wondering whether the solar pounding might be a factor. Something else to consider is whether the Zimmerit is original on the Saumur King Tiger (yes, it's theirs). Unfortunately, the brief backstory on the tank doesn't say, but there is zero mention of any strip down to bare metal, but still must be deemed a possibility. If so, then our pontificating is in vain, since it presumes we're looking at the original Zimmerit coating. A cool bit of artistic license has been used on the tank number. The real one was 123, but Colonel Aubrey, who founded the museum, put the number of the King Tiger that destroyed his Sherman on it instead. If the prominent turret number got repainted, this means that at least some of the tank has not original  paint, but was there a full repaint or simply enough to be able to paint on the new number?

http://tank-photographs.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/tiger-II-heavy-tank-Konigstiger.html

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

No it's been restored and repainted/touched up in those colours at least a couple of times at the http://www.museedesblindes.fr  - It was with the Fench Army post-war and stashed away before going to the museum..

"Tiger II – Musée des Blindés, Saumur (France) – running condition
Fahrgestell number 280112. According to an article from the Saumur museum's magazine n° 54, this tank, which now carries the turret number 233, could be the tank n° 123, which belonged to the 1st Company, 101 SS.s.Abt in August 1944. It could have been abandoned by its crew on 23 August 1944, due to some engine problems, at Brueil-en-Vexin (near Mantes-la-Jolie). It has been apparently salvaged by the French Army in September 1944, and then stored at the AMX factory at Satory before being transferred to the museum, when it was created. It was not in running condition for some months due to a gearbox problem, but the tank has been
repaired recently and now, it runs normally (France AFVs register)

How it was in 2006 (note slightly different green tan pattern in places)

screenshot_1159.jpg

http://preservedtanks.com/Profile.aspx?UniqueID=216

This King Tiger is believed to be the only one in the world in running order. It carries the turret number “233” and has taken part in some ‘Carrousel’ dynamic displays. It is coated with Zimmerit anti-magnetic mine paste. It was restored using parts from a number of other vehicles,

Edited by Wicky