CMSF2 "Black Sea" Vehicle Pack

Mattis

Aw, come on! Some folks just want to use M1 Abrams against Panzer IIIs. They don't care about authenticity and reality, they just want to blow up stuff. I've seen the same thing in DCS with people using SU-25s and KA-50 Blacksharks in the Normandy Map against Axis or Allied units.

Personally, I'm perfectly satisfied with reality, and don't need to have one hugh sandbox game. I'm perfectly happy to buy each family/module and keep them separate. Each to his or her own though. My suggestion to BFC would be "Don't waste your time, give me Marines with M-302s in CMBS instead."

I'm reminded of that old software term "shovelware", a derogatory term for software bundles that notoriously go for volume over quality or utility. The obsessive hoarder side of your brain may believe it wants EVERYTHING piled into one gargantuan package regardless of context. But  that's not a good idea. That's a child's toy chest, not a tactical combat simulator. I have a not-particularly-stable friend who believes Nazis flew flying saucers in WWII. Should BFC add flying saucers to CMRT? I know one person who thinks so.

Maybe I'm a heretic but I prefer game families to be centered on a subject and to have that subject "fleshed out' as much as possible with what happened historically rather than enable a "sandbox mode" of stuff from other theaters and timeframes. I know CMSF and Black Sea are not historical but they do have a subject of a certain time or place. I'm not a 100% stickler to this rule as I enjoy what modders have done with various games and I think accommodating modders  to some extent can be valuable, but with adding Black Sea vehicles, where does one draw the line as to what to add? I'd just rather see more c.2008 material if anything.

On December 14, 2018 at 6:20 PM, tpr said:

It was explained where to draw the line and I think it is a reasonable one.

I'm sorry, but I couldn't find where "the line was drawn in the thread." As far as I'm concerned, if a vehicle or variant wasn't in service in 2008, it shouldn't be in CMSF2. It would be like creating a vehicle pack of CMFB "Jumbos" or "Easy 8s" for CMFI even though the two timeframes are only a couple of years apart, and they are M4 Sherman's, they didn't exist in Italy until some time in the Rome to Victory timeframe.

As far as I'm concerned, it would detract BFC from other work that is much more important, such as MikeyD said, Marines and Shilka in CMBS.

Yeah idk whats with the Russian army 2019 thing. That's just silly. Forget it.

I never said I wanted to play abrams versus sherman but I'm not surprised said person jumped to conclusions.

It's a nuisance having to convert maps. I wish I had all the maps I own in every game I own. Sf2 maps lack more than the games I've tried. My favorites are from CMBS and CMBN. 

CMRT also lacks good maps. All my favorites are downloaded and converted maps.

Edited by Artkin