CMSF2 "Black Sea" Vehicle Pack

Mattis

Of course the current focus lies on (not necessary in this order) bug fixing, releasing the updated campaigns, and having some well-deserved days off including enjoying Christmas and New Year. However I wanted to talk about an idea that may become worth considering in the future: It would be really fantastic if Battlefront could bring us the Black Sea US Army TOE, the Armored Knight, the upgraded Strykers, Bradleys, Humvees, and Abrams into CMSF2 via a Vehicle Pack Addon.

They would perhaps require a more appropiate simple tan paint job but the assets are already created thus limiting considerably the involved work. Can´t tell of course how much work would involved bringing the Laser Warning Receivers or APS system to CMSF2 but at least me can also do without them. The new units could be listed in a seperate entry "US Army 2019" in the editor to differentiate them from the original Shock Force 2 US Army TOE. Furthermore the Vehicle Pack could bring some of the Black Sea Vehicles to the Syrian Faction like the different MTLB variants including Strela and Mortar Carrier, the Tunguska, the BTR-80, and the MT-12 AT gun.

Combat Mission Back Sea still would keep its charme and selling point by presenting a modern European theatre based Cold War Gone Hot scenario, the full set of modern Russian technology, and the Ukrainian Faction with its unique Equipment. Another Idea could also the option to introduce the Russian faction to CSMF2 via a "Russian Army 2019" entry in the editor, probably fueling our wildest Middle East scenario creation dreams but may bear the risk then to undermine the selling point of Combat Mission Black Sea. So consider the ladder just as brain storming.

This would give CMSF2 campaign and mission designers even more exciting options especially in creating present day campaigns and scenarios. For me this would be a purchase without the need to consider it twice.

Edited by Mattis

The game is in a timeframe of three months in 2008. I don't see how they can add some 2017 technology and integrate it smoothly. The quick battle screen would become complicated for one.

Maybe it would be more doable to add a Russian 2008-era side, with whatever is already available from CMSF2-Syria and CMBS-Russia/Ukraine? It seems CMBS-Ukraine mirrors Russian gear and vehicles but less modern, more like 2008.

About my last suggestion of CMSF2 Russians; it would put CMSF2 in competition with CMBS, therefor it may not be smart marketing wise.  Also I expect it would trigger lots and lots of Cold War Europe modding with Syria temperate retextures, and in that case it would be better for Battlefront to sell a Cold War Europe game, instead of facilitating a modded one.

Judging from some to the responses to clearing mines thread, mine plows on M1's and other engineering vehicles would be welcome. A We've seen the widespread use of AT ditches in the Middle East and a specialized engineering vehicle to facilitate armored movement over an AT ditch could lead to some interesting scenarios.

Same goes for the large berms. In the Task Force Thunder Campaign. I managed to get all my vehicles through the minefield by careful movement in a gap between the mines and berm, but I also tried to see if my breaching team could actually breach the berm, but looks like they can't. Specialized engineering vehicles that could breach the berm would also facilitate creation of interesting scenarios.

I'm pretty sure some Western Armies also have specialized vehicles that can lay AT mines on the fly. Might be something to consider. 

BF released a vehicle pack for Normandy. I'd gladly paid for it. I'd pay for one in this case too.

Maybe add some horses, donkeys, camels, civilians and embedded journalists while your at it.

Edited by db_zero

I guess more broadly my issue is that none of the scenarios would have that equipment.

I think the BN vehicle pack is great, and the AVRE, Crocodile and Crab are fantastic editions to the game, but unless you really like QBs or playing online, you aren't going to see them.

Which isn't to say they should stop making the packs, I think they've rolled those assets into the other series and also the battle pack for BN, but it does mean the pack on its own isn't the best way to add content IMO.

In short: What if there were Syrian MTLBs in the TOE? You would never see them unless you picked them for a QB or your opponent also had the pack and chose to bring them to a game.

Edited by DougPhresh

26 minutes ago, DougPhresh said:

I guess more broadly my issue is that none of the scenarios would have that equipment.

I think the BN vehicle pack is great, and the AVRE, Crocodile and Crab are fantastic editions to the game, but unless you really like QBs or playing online, you aren't going to see them.

Which isn't to say they should stop making the packs, I think they've rolled those assets into the other series and also the battle pack for BN, but it does mean the pack on its own isn't the best way to add content IMO.

In short: What if there were Syrian MTLBs in the TOE? You would never see them unless you picked them for a QB or your opponent also had the pack and chose to bring them to a game.

You overlooking the fact that there is a scenario editor and CM has a talented and active scenario creation community. I would also be also interested getting into the editor and creating custom campaigns with such TOE in mind. I own the CMBN vehicle pack and enjoyed seeing and using the vehicles in various custom campaigns as I do not like QB. I am pretty sure same would apply for a CMSF2 vehicle pack.

Edited by Mattis

Vehicle ports are dumb. 

Bfc should merge everything into one game like DCS. Something along those lines. 

not being able to interchange maps and vehicles is pretty gay. 

For example: Shock Force 2 has the most impressive modern kit, but with some of the worst maps (Imo). 

I cant get the damn map converter tool to work. 

It's just stupid.

7 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Yes, I do. Do you have an issue with me sharing my opinion?

You didn't exactly post an opinion, you attempted to act as a mouthpiece for BfC:

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:50 AM, LukeFF said:

Guys, they aren't creating more expansions for CMSF2. That's been made pretty clear from the beginning of this whole project. 

About the wrong goddam game.....This is a CM:BS thread.  :rolleyes: