John Kettler's Omnibus Post

Got the head's up on this incredible doc from a couple of my brothers. This is likely one of the post important WW I docs ever made--from a bunch of perspectives, too. The imagery verges on incredible in terms of content and insights provided, and there are tons of segments providing context for many major battles.

World War I from Above

Regards,

John Kettler

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great article on how a famous museum resolved problems with a diorama depicting colonial times. Nor was the demand for destruction of the offending diorama ever, but a civil and reasoned request to more accurately represent the Native Americans (Lenape) in it. To be clear, this wasn't about inflating their role, but in properly showing them as they appeared and in their customary roles, including that the culture was woman dominated when it came to elders. By museum cost standards, the fix was probably a cost avoidance measure when compared to a major redo of the 1900s vintage work, but I think it was ridiculously overpriced given what was done. See what you think.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/20/arts/design/natural-history-museum-diorama.html?fallback=0&recId=1IplsXOLuNzZwSGIMQahz7xpdfk&locked=0&geoContinent=NA&geoRegion=TX&recAlloc=top_conversion&geoCountry=US&blockId=most-popular&imp_id=991501169&action=click&module=trending&pgtype=Article&region=Footer

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Believe this was full size, and I think it would make a fabulous scuplt for a wargaming miniature.

tumblr_lxpf9bKXmI1qdfjs1o1_500.jpg

“LMG-Schütze” (Light Machinegun Gunner) by Bernd Hartmann-Wiedenbrück, 1941

Haven't seen many pics of captured Polish armor in use by the Germans, so this one's even more interesting, since it's a TKS tankette, apparently in what looks like Russia.
tumblr_lta4isagzq1qdfjs1o1_1280.jpg

FJ, unknown Italy location, 1943.

tumblr_oaycw1MTG21qc0pn9o1_1280.jpg

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

2 hours ago, John Kettler said:

Haven't seen many pics of captured Polish armor in use by the Germans, so this one's even more interesting, since it's a TKS tankette, apparently in what looks like Russia.

Knock yourself out:  http://beutepanzer.ru/

EDIT - It's a tricky site to navigate at first, so here's the Polish stuff:  http://beutepanzer.ru/Beutepanzer/poland/poland.html

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

18 hours ago, Erwin said:

Interesting as soldier on the right appears to be carrying what could be an early Bolex 16mm camera.  (I recall that was one of the first I was trained on as they were still in use in the 70's.)

I wondered about that as well.

I used the 8mm version to shoot a friend's Project One in the UCLA Film School in 1968.

Michael

Many of us have heard about the Japanese soldier on Guam who refused to surrender, but I bet most of you (starting with me) never heard of the German captive who escaped a US POW camp in New Mexico and remained at large for 40 years. 

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/life/2018/12/06/colorado-hitler-nazi-wwii-fugitive-gaertner-wanted-nazis-last-soldier/2072854002/

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Did you know how dangerous tank transporters are, eveen when static? Forget Hollywood FX, for they simply aren't needed to get the same results, practically effortlessly. These and many more Russian and Ukrainian AFV and other debacles await, including some unusual insurance claims and the whole bogged T-90 sequence in the first video at around the four minute mark. Also, these offer views of the latest Russian AFVs outside of the typical parade environment

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Let's hope this assault rifle sized laser  is Chinese propaganda. If not, people may suddenly lose interest in some CM game vs current/near-future clash with PRC! But it might not be so bad, since the PLA player could afford only a handful of troops, given how CM charges points based on combat capability.

https://gizmodo.com/china-claims-to-have-a-real-deal-laser-gun-that-inflict-1827284198?rev=1530546067868&utm_medium=socialflow&utm_source=gizmodo_twitter&utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_twitter

Also, looks as if the crime post immediately above this didn't cut properly after being accidentally posted to the wrong thread and stayed! The transplant is where it should be, though.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

• 2 weeks later...