John Kettler's Omnibus Post

Thanks to a CoC colleague with wide gaming interests, have been watching a bunch of Waterloo videos covering archaeology work at Hougomont Farm. As a result, YT served me this tasty morsel. It's in French, but it won't matter, for all the pertinent information iss easily discernible. The unauthorized, unplanned swarming of French infantry on Hougomont is plainly in evidence, as is the devastating blow delivered by Blucher's Prussians to Napoleons's right flank. After watching that play out, am much inclined toward the view that Blucher broke the French and defeated them in detail, but Wellington got the credit. For best viewing, recommend you go into Settings and make playback speed 0.5 or less.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

• 3 weeks later...

Today is Buffalo Soldiers Day, commemorating the creation ofthe first  black cavalry unit in 1866 on this day.
https://www.sofmag.com/buffalo-soldiers-fought-served-in-the-u-s-army-from-1866-to-1951/?fbclid=IwAR3PBlJZ04rHUpgzwAkw7X39x2vlCb_zTkwECUjLm_ukv1pNEdlphBf9Dig

On a stupendously disparate note, we have this stop motion martial marvel.

Regards,

John Kettler

On 7/29/2020 at 9:53 AM, Erwin said:

Sabaton has a song about this guy.  Soldier of 3 Armies. 

Edited by MOS:96B2P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

WW II historian Geoffrey Roberts talks about the contributions of Russia and Stalin to winning WW II. Interview was evidently made on the 65th anniversary of Victory Day. I don't necessarily agree with everything he says, but this interview is well worth watching.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

On 8/21/2020 at 6:09 AM, John Kettler said:

How cool is this?!

tumblr_mnto0dNxvF1qlne6uo1_640.jpg

Also this one?

tumblr_mmpuujD4Ce1qlne6uo1_250.png

Regards,

John Kettler

doing some labor work a few years ago in a realllllly old building in boston that in the 19th century would have been one big house. 

A bookcase was slightly ajar, the occupants must have found it, it opened to a stairwell and an entire hidden room.

It was one of the coolest little things I ever found.  The hinges on the bookcase were relatively new so it was a more recent addition or upkept by the tenants.

I sort of doubt that it was a recent addition - unless they cut off part of a room, but I  think it was more for booze in the 20s or drugs later than say runaway slaves.

The building  was way too old however for someone to legally have had that built in. I just dont see it.  Anyways FWIW.

Its literally 1 block away from Mass ave and Boylston St aka where Berklee College of Music is.

• 3 weeks later...