New to RT - help please

RustedGun

Hi,

I left the Battlefront Combat Mission world many years ago because of the licensing and distribution problems. I now have decided to give it a try again so I downloaded the RT demo. It "crashed to desktop" half way through the first scenario. I have a powerful, well maintained and up to date (drivers etc.) Windows 10 PC that is successfully running many other sims. Question: Is the demo I downloaded from this site an old demo? Was it known to crash?  Any way to test if this has been fixed? Thanks for any help.

3 hours ago, RustedGun said:

Hi,

I left the Battlefront Combat Mission world many years ago because of the licensing and distribution problems. I now have decided to give it a try again so I downloaded the RT demo. It "crashed to desktop" half way through the first scenario. I have a powerful, well maintained and up to date (drivers etc.) Windows 10 PC that is successfully running many other sims. Question: Is the demo I downloaded from this site an old demo? Was it known to crash?  Any way to test if this has been fixed? Thanks for any help.

I guess, you would need to give more technical information, so that those „who know“ can give a qualified answer.

But two things come immediately to my mind:

- Do you work on a lap top with on board video chip?

- If not what‘s your video card, anyway? A long time ago,  I had crashes to desktop, while playing with an old card with too little memory.

GunofRusted,

Try and turn 'Shaders' Off on both the Video Card and the Game Start-up Screen (Options-Advanced)...Then has been some issues with players (including myself) where a Game would Crash half-way through a Scenario or Turn. 

Edited by JoMc67

I appreciate the many good suggestions and comments and will follow-up on these. I use a Windows 10 PC (not laptop) with a Nvidia 1080ti and i7-7700. I will try another demo module as suggested and try the other items mentioned (the Shaders suggestion seems good). I do believe however, given the reliability of my platform on every other major military, flight and driving simulation,  that the problem may be related to the demo (old demo version? un-patched demo version?) but who knows. Thanks again.

On 12/11/2018 at 1:39 PM, Sublime said:

In my experience the CM games universally have been rock solid stability wise on my current half crappy laptop and my previous crappy laptop.

Same.  I have the graphics turned way down of course but it runs nicely and I can play anywhere.